Watford 0 West Ham Utd 4 (16/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by davids cross »

beakerboy1984 wrote:Got to have loved Nolan mugging their keeper off for the free kick. For those who didn't see it, as the keeper was trying to set up his wall, Nolan stood in front of the wall (goal side) and mimicked every movement he made.

The keeper didn't know what to do!
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
beakerboy1984

Post by beakerboy1984 »

Brilliant, good man.
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by roblo »

I was right down the front and noticed Nolan - properly staring at the keeper, full on. A pretty good tactic and definitely a good way to put off the 'keeper. Reminded me of Di Canio's arm waving when chasing down the goalkeepers kicks.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I8CHAVS wrote:
That was me!!!!!!!! Were you on the far left?
well played! i was indeed on the left..Best view of Joey o'pele goal 8-)
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Erm... Kevin Nolan wasn't taking the piss or 'mugging off the keeper'.

All he was doing was looking at the keeper's position attentively, so as to stay perfectly in the his line of sight of the placed ball for the free-kick.

He done a few movements as a distraction (which technically, we could have got penalised for and him booked for), but it certainly wasn't a case of him specifically taking the piss.
Last edited by rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

roblo wrote: A pretty good tactic and definitely a good way to put off the 'keeper.
It's basically to obscure any small sight the keeper may be getting of the ball really, by mirroring him he is in line with the sight the keeper is getting, of course it must be off putting as well. ...... From memory Nolan has done it often.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

WHUTV... The first for highlights... After they've been looped on SSN and BBC News for 12 hours that is
tonkaman
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by tonkaman »

The Gibbins wrote:There was a really loud "Super Scott" chant that went on for quite a while....it then went silent and some bloke just shouts "ILLLLUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAA!" :lol:

Good night though, and was located next to Hawkins, and everyone going mental for Joey O'Briens world class goal!!
If it's the same bloke, I stood next to him at Birmingham last year. Great bloke and bloody funny Image
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Having said that - the Collison interviewing Tomkins after the match segment on WHUTV was rather funny

Tonks seems to think (hope) he should be alright for Sunday
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

HarrowHammer wrote:
Alot of the comments on here have been on Parker not showing up and Cole playing well. Both cases I felt were the opposite.
I cannot disagree more. Parker missed yet another 50/50 tackle at the end of the first half which they almost scored from and in fairness he put himself about a bit in the second half but did you notice that he was the only player who did not celebrate the first two goals!

Cole for me had a great game, I thought he held the ball up well and played a lot better then Piquionne did in our first two matches. I think that a 451 system fits better with cole then Piq.

but where does Carew fit into all of this?!
e17
Has liked: 284 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

Hayden wrote:WHUTV... The first for highlights... After they've been looped on SSN and BBC News for 12 hours that is
Got back last night hoping to see the goals, & had to sit through an hour on SSN that appeared to consist of cricket, skiing, surfing, rugby, Arsenal, & some 15 minute self promotion for "Team Sky", before they preceded to show League 1 goals BEFORE the championship's, as well as Arsenal again.

Didn't dampen a ****ing immense night though! :thup:
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

a few players don't celebrate goals, usually so they don't get carried away and lose concentration. happens throughout football from sunday league to premierleage
Henry Wilt

Post by Henry Wilt »

Thanks to whoever it was that posted the link to Watfords forum (sorry, I'm too lazy to look back to see who it was), a most entertaining read.
In all honesty I had to keep checking I was reading the right thread, statements like "men against boys", "we won't play a better side than that this season", "a lesson in football" etc., etc. :shock: I don't remember ever having read (or heard in the days before the internet) opposition fans talk about us that way before. *smiley/winky emoticon*
paulhs1
Has liked: 1740 likes
Total likes: 1488 likes

Post by paulhs1 »

DICAN10 wrote:a few players don't celebrate goals, usually so they don't get carried away and lose concentration. happens throughout football from sunday league to premierleage
I appreciate that but it was quite odd that he was the only outfield player to not celebrate both goals and he was also quite muted when he scored. This is not an attack on Parker, but I really do feel that he has already mentally left the club!
Mountain Man

Re: Did anyone else see/notice

Post by Mountain Man »

Also, did anyone notice for the first three goals last night Parker never ran to congratulate the goal scorer but returned to his own half on his own !! :think:
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

paulhs1 wrote:I appreciate that but it was quite odd that he was the only outfield player to not celebrate both goals and he was also quite muted when he scored. This is not an attack on Parker, but I really do feel that he has already mentally left the club!
It could be a number of reasons I suppose... He's made it fairly clear that he'd prefer to leave, perhaps he'd feel hypocritical if he went mental when we scored? He's there doing his job regardless, while he's under contract for us... getting on with it professionally.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Also another did anyone notice/see the guy on his back in the middle of the road after the game :lol:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Mountain Man wrote:Also, did anyone notice for the first three goals last night Parker never ran to congratulate the goal scorer but returned to his own half on his own !! :think:
So this is Parker watch now, NO I didn't notice it, what I did see and some papers picked up on it was a superb photo of Parker! yes Parker and Noland arms around each other, really smiling! as Team Mates do - COYI
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

davids cross wrote:Got to have loved Nolan mugging their keeper off for the free kick. For those who didn't see it, as the keeper was trying to set up his wall, Nolan stood in front of the wall (goal side) and mimicked every movement he made.

The keeper didn't know what to do!

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thats absolutely fantastic and he got away with with it. More please! :lol:
djclipz
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by djclipz »

i think we are looking too much into the whole parker committed issue, especially the celebrations with team mates. Has he always ran over to join in when he is not even that involved in the lead up to a goal??

It's not as though he is refusing to play to try and push through his transfer. Ive seen and heard about some of his half hearted challenges, which to be honest are kind of expected although frustrating to us.... He may even of been told to not be as aggressive we don't really know. Also despite all this from what i heard last night he pretty much bossed the midfield, and ended up with a good goal. For what it is worth he has been my best player at the club for a long time, he was always willing and fighting for us every week. If he goes, he goes but remember its not just for the reason of him wanting to get in the england team... (he is on one hell of a wage) and with the euro's around the corner i don't begrudge him that at all. He has done me proud when virtually everyone else let me down! and i wish him good luck whatever happens! But if he does stay he will probably turn into a bit of legend! You've found ur home Mr Parker! :thup: