Watford 0 West Ham Utd 4 (16/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by djclipz »

keep watching cole's goal...... that was one cracking goal... great movement! :thup:
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

"You know times are bad when even Fat Sam's mob give you a hiding. And at home too. West Ham are a joke club who should be beaten out of sight by near enough everyone, they are rubbish and simply gave up in the Premier League last season, yet Watford succombed without a fight. Watford are on a one-way ticket to the conference at this rate and wouldn't look out of place there."
it's always refreshing to hear a 6 year old's opinion of west ham :lol:
West Ham are a joke club who should be beaten out of sight by near enough everyone, they are rubbish
haha quality... oh how i love being smug for once
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Brilliant win for West Ham last night. 4-0 away! A real statement of intent to the Championship. I can see Allardyce's determination to only manage for one season in that division is getting through to the players.

:thup:
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

West Ham are a joke club who should be beaten out of sight by near enough everyone, they are rubbish

This must be some special kind of knuckle dragger if he cant see the implication of this statement on his own team.....

Sour grapes are so funny when ur not eatin them yourself.... :lol:
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

To PP and other who've provided match reports and youtube links to highlights - thank you. :thup:

Seems that it might not always be pretty but we at last seem to have a direction as a football club.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

Fraggle wrote:This must be some special kind of knuckle dragger if he cant see the implication of this statement on his own team.....

Sour grapes are so funny when ur not eatin them yourself.... :lol:
especially after our away fans made it quite clear to him that if we are winning away then his team must be quite ****
WestHamAlways

Post by WestHamAlways »

It was a great day for us yesterday, and it was really great fun to be there, first game ever for my son ...he loves West Ham now and thinks they are brilliant.
I thought Tomkins was immense yesterday, He had his man in his back pocket second half.
Cole, Parker and Green especially were under no illusions we want them to stay.
Green turning round and punching his heart as we sang Green Army makes you know he wants to stay.
I agree the diagonal long balls could be frustrating at times, but they worked by winning our midfield space as the defence had to track Cole and we were able to knock the ball around in more space.
Its true, the goals came at perfectly scripted times and O'Brien had the run of the ball with his still brilliant goal. But this is a confidence game, and after the last couple of seasons results like this will lead to better performances.
Watford were predicted to struggle and on last nights performance they most certainly will. But 4-0 away is impressive whoever the opposition is.
Bring on Leeds.
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I love how together the team look... also how Nolan is always there with the goalscorer congratulating them with a massive smile on his face. Proper captain.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

djclipz wrote:keep watching cole's goal...... that was one cracking goal... great movement! :thup:
I haven't seen the goal but can tell you that is complete rubbish. Sam's teams only know how to play one style of football
Hammer_atown

Post by Hammer_atown »

Don't know if they've already been posted, but the highlights are now up on the BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14565725.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Random factoid. Along with Derby, we've conceded the fewest goals in the division so far. Just the one goal in 270 minutes of football 8-)
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

My video of Kevin Nolan is on the talk sport website lol

http://www.talksport.co.uk/radio/drivet ... v-west-ham" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

For those who might have missed it, it seems like sky are going to show short highlights of most of our games over the season on the sky sports website.

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,,16472,00.html

I can only presume the Cardiff game isn't on there because BBC had the rights to that match.

:crest:
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

djclipz wrote:keep watching cole's goal...... that was one cracking goal... great movement! :thup:
It was fantastic, the BBC and SkySports highlights really don't do it justice at all. I watched the goal on WestHamTV and it shows the complete build up before Ilunga recieves the ball. There must be about 10 passess leading up to the goal, proper one-touch football. Best passing goal i've seen from a West Ham side since Cole's @ Wigan in Zola's first year. I hope we get to see more of that this season!
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I've just watched it on WHUTV as well, that really was a great goal.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I've just watched it on WHUTV as well, that really was a great goal.
Credit to Ilunga aswell, great determination.

Whilst your on WHUTV, have a watch of Carlton's interview, Big Sam up to his old tricks :lol:
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Saw that :lol: Good atmosphere at the moment around the team it would seem!
sutts07
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

the pink palermo wrote:Just got home from a reasonbly entertaining evening at Vicarage Road .

First , the good news .

Awesome support which I would estimate for the second game running represented around a third of the gate, and was generally vocal throughout . Fat Sam gave us a wave on request, Rob Green was happy to show the score at 3-0 ,and even Faubert got some praise by being told he was "too good for Real Madrid", which I personally think is a shame , such was the party mood in the travelling support .
On the pitch we saw Carlton get a start ahead of Piquionne who came on late on when the game was already won , and Kevin O'Brien (Kevin??) getting his first goal for the Irons , our second of the night, at the end of the first half, after Tomkins had opened the scoring with a back post header from a Taylor corner .If you want to know what they do in training all week, there's your answer .

The second half saw the points secured as Cole opened his account for the season , hitting home a pass from Ilunga who was reguarly to be found in the attacking third of the field, in this case inside Watfords box .A neat finish , and at 3-0 the job was done .The fourth came in the final minute when Scott Parker produced a neat step over, creating half a yard of space , and struck the ball to the Watford keepers right , which was no more than he deserved following a superbly struck shot from 20 yards that had gone inches wide a minute or two earlier .

Kevin Nolan continued to lead by example, nothing flash, but basic things like creating a distraction for Loach in Watfords goal as Taylor struck a freekick ; making himself "big" when trying to block crosses into our box, whilst keeping his hands firmly behind his back - Lucas Neill style - to ensure no soft penaltys are conceded .

Most of our decent football actually came when we were in possession on the edge of Watfords box, when some good passing between Parker, Nolan, Cole and Taylor frequently caused problems for the home teams defence .However it should be noted that for significant periods in both halfs one or two players seemed too happy to either hit a channel ball to win a throw , or hit the target man, Cole, up the middle (not sure that is true for 'significant periods' of one half let alone both considering Watford didn't touch the ball in the 2nd half for significant periods).Not many fans were too concerned because we were winning , but some experienced observers took note . However with four good goals for us, and another clean sheet for Rob Green, given huge support all evening , little wonder after the superb save he made in the first half from a well struck shot , not too much bumping of gums was in evidence .

Aboudoule Faye came on for 25 minutes or so for some valuable pitchtime and speculation flew around the ground he must have been given Bennis locker , complete with a life times supply of Quality Street as opposed to miniture heroes .His performance could best be described as solid, but in fairness he was strong in the tackle , and composed under pressure .

Now to the less good .

At times their were crosses coming into our box which were not dealt with appropriately (in 90mins of football this will happen to all teams at all levels) , with the ball being allowed to bounce before being cleared out (at least we are clearing it this season) , and Jack Collison had a tendency to drift inside causing a loss of shape (to be expected from a centre mid playing out of position) .A distinct lack of width for around a 15 minute period in the first half (if lacking width for 15mins is as bad as it gets then it will be some season - and is this not the same negative as above but worded differently?) would surely have tested the fans patience had we not already been a goal up thanks to a well worked set piece .
One booking was disappointing, Noble , who I think got it for kicking the ball away , but he could have had a couple of earlier yellows for his clumsy tackling style - straight from the Paul Scholes leave your foot in patented method - (you will see a lot worse this season from other teams) whereas Joey O'Brien put in some robust challanges that reminded this observer of a bygone era : proper tackling , hard, but fair .

Overall the side looked organised - little things like when Reid took some of Greens drink , Boffin carried a replacement bottle round to Green .Attention to detail, professionalism and good organisation - if on occasion we play a little too directly, well providing we're winning , not many will grumble, particuarly if we beat sides of Watfords standard by 4 goals .They will be far from the worst side we will face this season (I can not see many other teams playing worse then that in all honesty , truly exciting times , gentlemen .

The good far exceeded the bad , and for those who still think we need a "proven" goalscorer , that's five goals in 3 games from 5 different players .

Dirty Leeds are next up on Sunday , a win at home against them , and not many sides will relish a game against us - at least not while the side still features players such as Parker , Cole and Green .It's vital we take as many points as possible in our final two league games before the window shuts .

Think you made a lot of good points but also feel you have been overly harsh too, maybe in an attempt to keep feet on the ground which is commendable to be fair.

All in all a great night out!
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Saw that :lol: Good atmosphere at the moment around the team it would seem!
What happened?
Hayden
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

indiehammer wrote:have a watch of Carlton's interview, Big Sam up to his old tricks :lol:

Howso?