Watford 0 West Ham Utd 4 (16/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mushy
Has liked: 654 likes
Total likes: 879 likes

Re: Did anyone else see/notice

Post by mushy »

cockney hammer wrote:should not be down to sam to make them go and give the fans a clap they should always go over to the fans win lose or draw again a lack of respect to our fantastic away support. :crest:
Not really CH, looked like they were on their way over anyway, they were just going through the post match formalities of shaking hands etc. Its not like they were all walking off the pitch and FS marched them back on or anything.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 398 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Re: Watford v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by chappo59 »

Parker has had immense respect from the fans of this club (me included) quite rightly for the way he carried us through games most of our players weren't interested in playing in last season, but I just hope he gets a premiership club that he wants sooner rather than later before he tarnishes the superman status afforded Tto him by continuing to tackle without 100% committment, not celebrating goals etc and please don't give me "some players prefer not to celebrate in order to remain fully focused" because he sure as hell celebrated goals last season.I'm certainly not out for a fight with anyone over his attitude as I said I'm a big Scott Parker fan and want to remember him playing for us the Scott Parker way, but think he has to be careful not to sulk (like he did at charlton) before his move..........please god not to spurs :thdn:
optimus_prime

Post by optimus_prime »

Highlights can be found at " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :crest:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I am one of Parker's biggest fans, what he has given to the club is immense....Saying that he does seem to have "form", anyone else remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 408875.stm
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

optimus_prime wrote:Highlights can be found at " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice :thup:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

The 3rd goal was a bit like, but nothing at all like, that great goal by Cole at Wigan.

Nolan plays the part of the magnificent and sadly missed David Di Michelle.... 8-)
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm afraid despite the scoreline , I would say our perfromance was no more as a team than 6/10.
To clarify, you are giving a four-nil away win a 6/10 team performance?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hawkins_hammer wrote:To clarify, you are giving a four-nil away win a 6/10 team performance?
YES.

What was the score in the 43rd minute of the first half ?
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:
YES.

What was the score in the 43rd minute of the first half ?

Good point I forgot about all those 43 minute football matches. :thup:

Seriously though. My problem with your 6 out of ten was that this game was a clear example of how BFS wants us to win football games. Keep it tight in the first half, do not concede at any cost and allow the home team/fans no momentum or impetus. If we get a first half goal then it is a bonus. Second half we come more out of our defensive shell and gradually impose ourselves on the team, without being careless at the back to ensure we win. Second half I think Watford had a couple of pot-shots and that was it. It was a dominant and impressive victory and 6/10 is insulting to the team and manager imo.

I was Zola's biggest fan but even I was impressed by team and tactics tonight. Donny was a 6/10, this was much, much better.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Hawkins - scoring systems for assessing matches are all subjective .For all you know my 6/10 could equal someone elses 4/10, or another persons 9/10 .

We all see slightly different things and knock off points accordingly .

For me, winning is not enough - because I'm a fan not the teams Manager - artisitic merit is over weighted on my system - I know that , but it's important to me .Control of the game for sustained periods is also important , and in the first halh, Watford had a s many chances as we did .So if we split the game evenly , 5 marks per half , I simply cannot find a way to give any better than say a 2/5 for a first half perfromance .

10/10 for the result - which of course is what really matters , but I'll stick with my 6/10 for perfromance - I think we are a better side than we showed last night .We're improving by the game .
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Like others I loved Faye's tackle on the half way line where he left their player in a heap, as he strolled back past him he gave him a Mr T look as if saying 'I pity the fool!'

I don't think we need to worry about him stepping into the side. People who are talking about his size, when I saw him get off the coach at Doncaster he didn't look as big as I thought he would be.

A great night all round, a good result on Sunday and I can see the confidence flooding back. It helps having proper leadership on and off the pitch for the first time in ages.

Great to see a good all-round team performance. Everybody contributed, even the subs.

I hope we can keep hold of Green, I think he will make a huge difference over the season. That save was vital last night.

The sooner the Parker situation sorts itself out the better, I think Allardyce and Parker are both being professional about it, but it is not ideal. Leaving Parker out would be ridiculous unless he wanted it that way. But I will be quite happy if we can use his experience in the next two games
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

Hockley Hammer wrote:Like others I loved Faye's tackle on the half way line where he left their player in a heap, as he strolled back past him he gave him a Mr T look as if saying 'I pity the fool!'

Is

and it's been a long time since we had a real tough tackling defender so it's great to see Faye putting it about - delighted with the result after a dissapointing start we now seem to be getting into our stride.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Interesting points you make TPP.

I thought the first half was pretty even. Watford had more chances. They are the first team we have played who looked to get the ball to the big guy up front early so presented us with a different challenge. I thought we defended well, but Tomkins was under a lot of pressure last night and was constantly beaten in the air but was dominant on the ground.

I said last season that Tomkins and Reid would be a good partnership in the championship, and as long as the full-backs keep playing like they have done so far I think we are going to be hard to beat which is a huge difference to the last few seasons.

The second goal could not have come at a better time for us, it knocked the stuffing out of Watford.

We controlled the game completely in the second half and the late goals were a bonus. I agree with you about the aimless long balls, I don't see it as a style of play, more as an easy option, which generally doesn't work well for us. Cole and Piquionne both won a few headers but they generally go nowhere. The wide crossfield ball to Taylor is a good weapon, and if we had a genuine right winger it would be the same the other side. Collison hit a couple of great balls and with Taylor's delivery it keeps teams on their toes and I can see us scoring goals from that area as the season goes on.

Like you I see us playing better as the results improve and individual confidence returns. It was great to see a team performance with no obvious weak link
ParisTheHammer

Post by ParisTheHammer »

People still manage to moan at a splendid 0-4 away win :lol:
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

I now will only call Faye 'The Tank'.

Personally I thought it was a very well executed performance. We played some lovely football and looking at the stats ended with 70% possession, when did we last have that?

As per normal we did the club proud with the classics and some damn funny songs too!

Before Tomkins scored:
After Tomkins scored:
westhamerica
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Here are some better highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4PViMi4XnM
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

ParisTheHammer wrote:People still manage to moan at a splendid 0-4 away win
People that do not appreciate the difference between Mutton and Lamb :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Hockley Hammer wrote:I

I thought the first half was pretty even. Watford had more chances. They are the first team we have played who looked to get the ball to the big guy up front early so presented us with a different challenge. I thought we defended well, but Tomkins was under a lot of pressure last night and was constantly beaten in the air but was dominant on the ground.

The second goal could not have come at a better time for us, it knocked the stuffing out of Watford.

We controlled the game completely in the second half and the late goals were a bonus. I agree with you about the aimless long balls, I don't see it as a style of play, more as an easy option, which generally doesn't work well for us. Cole and Piquionne both won a few headers but they generally go nowhere.
Like you I see us playing better as the results improve and individual confidence returns. It was great to see a team performance with no obvious weak link
A good summary Hockley .
We earned our goals but they came at good times .I wonder if people would be quite so happy with a 1-0 win ? The aimless punts upfield simply were not good enough , and I feel the goal tally may have affected one or two peoples judgement on what we really saw .
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

What would you prefer ,pretty football 1-0 win
Aimless punts upfield 4-0 win
ak-47

Post by ak-47 »

ParisTheHammer wrote:People still manage to moan at a splendid 0-4 away win :lol:
not me , excellent .