West Ham Utd 2 Leeds Utd 2 (21/08/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

derek zoolander

Re: West Ham Utd v Leeds Utd: match thread

Post by derek zoolander »

derek zoolander wrote: If that's the case he should be a midfielder not a left back.
Up the Junction wrote:Any thoughts on this? It's something I mulled over suggesting last night.
I don't really know. He has many of the attributes for an attacking winger/midfielder. He likes to spend more time past the half way line than he does behind it and he hates to track back even when we get counter attacked and he is up by the corner flag. He just plods back.

It might work with a safe, no thrills left back behind him like George. He's definitely more suited to the role than he is at left back.
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Ilunga at LM would be a nightmare imho.

Positionally he is poor, and thats with the game in front of him.

With the game going on around him, I see it being much worse.

I'd be playing a scratch team against Aldershot, asking Junior, Stech, Nouble, Sears et al to show us what they can do before they go the way of Hines.

Lets not forget that two of those players were touted as being able to cut it in the Prem only two years ago, and the other was much lauded when signed from Chelsea.

If they cant make it against Aldershot.....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Chuck - I broadly agree on both fronts .

I'd play the development squad in the main - no problem with a few of those you mention featuring although the clubs they go to may be put off them if they are cup tied .

Ilunga at LM ? No chance ,If he won't run back when it's clearly his job , he won't track back when he thinks the guy behind him will do all the work .

If, and it's a big if, he isn't good enough , get rid of him , but then he has to be replaced , and so far we've gone for a player who couldn't hold down a place in a poor Sunderland defence and spent the season on loan at Leeds turning up late for training .

Another fullback for whom the current owners have not sanctioned a fee .

Am I right in thinking Reid is the only defender for whom we have paid a transfer fee in 2 years ? Sam's in charge of transfers though .He can buy any defender he wants for nothing .
derek zoolander

Post by derek zoolander »

Maybe we could play him on the front left of a 4 - 3 - 3 formation. :lol:
Chuck D
Rebel without a pause

Post by Chuck D »

Pinky

The clubs that those players are going to go to are likely to be knocked out in this round or next.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I'm in agreement with the Pinskter and have already made my case.

4 games in 2 weeks a couple against the "contenders" and another on Sunday. So rest the big boys, I think the crowd will be more than okay with it, I remember when Keen said he would play a bunch of youngsters in the last game and people thought it was a great idea.

Play a mix, Barrera on the left or behind the front man, Faubert on the right and give Faye a bit of time at centre half as when he is needed he'll be unfit. Give Carew 30 minutes (or a bit less) to give him some game time and minutes. Sears off the big man (Piq or Over Chuffed).

What is there to lose ??
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:I'm in agreement with the Pinskter and have already made my case.

4 games in 2 weeks a couple against the "contenders" and another on Sunday. So rest the big boys, I think the crowd will be more than okay with it, I remember when Keen said he would play a bunch of youngsters in the last game and people thought it was a great idea.

Play a mix, Barrera on the left or behind the front man, Faubert on the right and give Faye a bit of time at centre half as when he is needed he'll be unfit. Give Carew 30 minutes (or a bit less) to give him some game time and minutes. Sears off the big man (Piq or Over Chuffed).

What is there to lose ??
Indeed. I'd give Carew a start to get him some fitness and a good opportunity for a goal to settle him in:

--------------------Boffin

Faubert------Faye---Reid-----McCartney

Sears-----Moncur---Noble------Barrera
-----------------Collison--------------------

------------------Carew

Should be more than capable. Get a decent lead and then take Noble off at h/t for eithe Nouble (switch to 4-4-2) or Olly Lee. Maybe even Reid for a youngster (Sanchez maybe, not sure who's next in line at CB). Lletget was mentioned as a possible for this match by one of our stateside hammers.