West Ham Utd 4 Portsmouth 3 (10/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Portsmouth: match thread

Post by jacko »

the pink palermo wrote: given an Arsenal player some match experience
Well, it obviously is a mutally beneficial deal.
Devs Hampton
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Devs Hampton »

Re the Bentley arguing, I think of any player, he may be one of the prime examples of how the Premiership can damage people. Its such an artificial world to live in, suddenly you have more money than you have ever known and should ever need, media attention is beyond sane, it will affect different people in different ways. Yes he may have a personality that comes across a big "I am" but how may of us would be able to totally control ourselves in that ridiculous enviroment. I am not excusing him but I honestly belive there are over riding factors that we can never ever really comprhend. I have given him plenty of stick when he has played against us but fair play to him, he's taken the divison drop and now he is in claret and blue and one of ours he gets respect and support from me
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

any idea where I can see the goals please?
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

iplayer...football league show
Rode one wrong

Post by Rode one wrong »

Up the Junction wrote:Big Sam's post match presser, in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good presser UTJ, ta.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

the pink palermo wrote: I'm still struggling to see what fat Kev does other than lots of pointing at other players .......
This is going to be a regular comment from lots of people this season, and I think people have to stop looking at Nolan as some kind of replacement for Parker. He's never going to be an all-action, box-to-box midfielder; as we've seen, he just doesn't have the legs for that.

So it's what he does off the ball the matters; getting into the right positions (in front of the keeper for his goal from the corner at Forest, on the end of Collison's cross against Donny). We've been told by Newcastle fans that he does little else other than score goals, and I think that's almost a fair summary. Of course, what he also offers is leadership: one poster pointed out that he told off one of our players for putting the ball out of play when the Pompey player was down.

Nolan is going to look anonymous when he doesn't score, because scoring is about as much as he does on the ball. But if you were watching him for the full 90 mins, rather than watching where the ball is, you'd recognise that he offers more than it may appear.
tonkaman
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by tonkaman »

Smonnie wrote:Nolan is going to look anonymous when he doesn't score, because scoring is about as much as he does on the ball. But if you were watching him for the full 90 mins, rather than watching where the ball is, you'd recognise that he offers more than it may appear.
Exactly my thinking. I like him, a very good leader.
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

Smonnie wrote:
Nolan is going to look anonymous when he doesn't score, because scoring is about as much as he does on the ball. But if you were watching him for the full 90 mins, rather than watching where the ball is, you'd recognise that he offers more than it may appear.
I'm not convinced he is that good as a goal scorer. Too often gets in the right position then misses. I did think about watching him for the 90 mins yesterday but I don't have the attention span. :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Smonnie wrote:This is going to be a regular comment from lots of people this season, and I think people have to stop looking at Nolan as some kind of replacement for Parker. He's never going to be an all-action, box-to-box midfielder; as we've seen, he just doesn't have the legs for that.

So it's what he does off the ball the matters; getting into the right positions (in front of the keeper for his goal from the corner at Forest, on the end of Collison's cross against Donny).
No, I don't see him as a Parker replacement - he's a different kind of player .And all the stuff about his positioning for freekicks etc is well noted , and noticed by me .

However , the speed and ease with which Portsmouth - with Mullins in the middle - were able to drive forward , unopposed, was more than a touch alarming , and for all the benefit Nolan brings at one end of the pitch , is it enough to compensate for the gaping hole it leaves at the other end ?

Cardiff, Leeds and Pompey have all been able to tear up the middle - usually whilst Nolan is jogging back .

I'll tell you one thing, if he pointed the finger at me on the pitch he'd be told pretty smartly to concentrate on his own contribution first .
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

A lot of teams are going to come the Boelyn and try to roll us over. Let's face it, we've gotten off to a shaky start at home and other teams know it. Sounds like it was a very physical game at by times. We are going to have to be prepared for that.
Nice to see 3 points at the end of it all.
:crest:
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

indiehammer wrote:I dont think Bentley 'decided' he didnt want to play as a winger, i think he was told to. Our 'crowded midfield' wern't winning the ball and wernt tackling enough to get the ball back, Pompey played on the break very well when they went down to 10. Despite our crowded midfield, we needed to get an extra player in there to steady things abit, Bentley done this and done it well. It's not his normal game as he is a winger but since he came on, we were controlled and passed the ball much better.
If you were given a particular instruction by Big Sam and then went on the field to play right infront of him, would you decide to play a different way? I dont think i would!
Quite right.

As Bentley was about to come on, Sam was giving him some final instructions and was clearly (to me anyway, stood in the STBL) pointing to the middle of the park. I though that was odd at the time, but there is no doubt in my mind that he was told to play more centrally than we would have expected.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Though Lansbury was top draw on saturday. Showed skill and real fighting spirit. Matty's goal was fantastic, and i'm overchuffed for Cole. Thought faubert played a good game aswell, dunno why he was subbed for Bently.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

PP, your right about the ease the other teams get through our midfield. But this is what happens when you play Nolan and Lansbury/Collison who are more like attacking midfielders and Noble who's tackling is suspect at DM, the game passes him by just the same as Nolan.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Muddy wrote:Though Lansbury was top draw on saturday. Showed skill and real fighting spirit. Matty's goal was fantastic, and i'm overchuffed for Cole. Thought faubert played a good game aswell, dunno why he was subbed for Bently.
Bentley did nothing wrong when he came on. Faubert was running down blind alleys in the end. he did well when he was on though!
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Fraggle wrote:I really cant give anyone MOM for yesterday..
Parker will probably get it from the Sponsors & many on here..
BoB_On
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by BoB_On »

Muddy wrote:Though Lansbury was top draw on saturday. Showed skill and real fighting spirit. Matty's goal was fantastic, and i'm overchuffed for Cole. Thought faubert played a good game aswell, dunno why he was subbed for Bently.
Fag break
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote: I'm still struggling to see what fat Kev does other than lots of pointing at other players .......
Wow Pinks !!! :shock:
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

That Cotteril was actually moaning about the sending off, I don't understand how you can debate that decision :shock:
beckton

Post by beckton »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:That Cotteril was actually moaning about the sending off, I don't understand how you can debate that decision :shock:

Just seen it again on bbc Iplayer, the second one should have been a straight red.
HarlowHammer94

Post by HarlowHammer94 »

Not sure if this has already been posted but was just wondering if anyone else saw the banana man with a west ham scarf running along the front of the Dr Martens/Alpari stand lower.
Found it hilarious myself and wondered if anyone else saw! :crest: