Millwall 0 West Ham Utd 0 (17/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Re: Millwall v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by miles »

7 games in - 6 games unbeaten, 3 points off the top. Drop Nolan.
30 odd games in - bottom of the league. Keep Grant.

This site. :lol:
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

miles wrote:7 games in - 6 games unbeaten, 3 points off the top. Drop Nolan.
30 odd games in - bottom of the league. Keep Grant.
I'll field this one as it appears to be aimed in my general direction .

Do you think Kevin Nolan is contributing sufficiently as a player to justify his continued inclusion in the starting XI ?

I don't think he is , and I don't think it will be too long before his team mates , privately at least , start to question his contribution .

How do you think he played yesterday Miles , what did you see him do of note , how did he really influence the game , because for my money it passed him by .
beckton

Post by beckton »

Hammer Laffers wrote: Cheers to pop Robson and beckton for inviting me to meet up with them aswell

Good to meet you Laffers.

I hope Pop and the other fella that was with us didn't bore you too much. I have to put up with them most weeks. :arry:
devonshirecream
Total likes: 1 like

Post by devonshirecream »

smuts wrote:Having seen the Bentley miss it wasn't as bad as made out......the guy dived in and he had to snatch at it.
:thup:
raneman
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by raneman »

the pink palermo wrote:I'll field this one as it appears to be aimed in my general direction .

Do you think Kevin Nolan is contributing sufficiently as a player to justify his continued inclusion in the starting XI ?

I don't think he is , and I don't think it will be too long before his team mates , privately at least , start to question his contribution .

How do you think he played yesterday Miles , what did you see him do of note , how did he really influence the game , because for my money it passed him by .
This is exactly the point I was trying to make yesterday when questioned on it by stevyrockstar.

He's a good player but other than being a good captain, he's not taking any game by the scruff of the neck. Faubert has covered more ground in a game than Nolan has in all so far. Yet people are so quick to be on his back. Faubert offers us genuine pace and determination right now, in an otherwise sluggish midfield. In this formation, he appears the only one to consistently get up alongside Cole to support him. The others are lagging back on the halfway line.

No chance of 442 with Nolan in side, as we'll get massively overrun, simple as that.

Comparing him to Lucas Neill as a captain may be fair, but Neill was a bloody good right back and the game did not pass him by. I expect more of Nolan as he is better than he is showing right now.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Nolan is at the very least a proper captain, something we desperately need. He will also likely finish the season with 10+ goals. That is more than enough contribution as far as I'm concerned. That is his job.

If Brooking had been playing these days some fans would be on his back for being lazy, sometimes going missing, and rarely doing any donkey work.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

raneman wrote: No chance of 442 with Nolan in side, as we'll get massively overrun, simple as that.
I keep hearing this.

How is it possible that a central midfielder aged 29 whos played most of his career in the premier league can't play in a four man midfield? Is he really that limited?
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Why is everyone bitching about 4-4-2? We're actually winning games for f*** sake. Some people are never happy.
Edit: and we've been scoring a shitload of goals.
Last edited by Muddy on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

the celestial insect wrote:Nolan is at the very least a proper captain, something we desperately need. He will also likely finish the season with 10+ goals. That is more than enough contribution as far as I'm concerned. That is his job.

If Brooking had been playing these days some fans would be on his back for being lazy, sometimes going missing, and rarely doing any donkey work.
I'm well aware of Brookings qualities - to make a comparison between his contribution and Nolans ( so far) is rather wide of the mark in my opinion .

As for Nolans capability as a Captain , the point I was making in my first post is how long will he retain that credibility if the other players believe he's not chipping in with his all round game ? How can Sam question others work rate if the skipper isn't leading from the front in that regard ?

For those referring to Neill , well Lucas could Captain and command a place in the team on merit .
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Seems Nolan is this seasons scapegoat, how long before we boo him?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Oldun wrote:Seems Nolan is this seasons scapegoat, how long before we boo him?
I wouldn't go that far....i think he did well yesterday.

Lansbury was the poor one in the centre of the park yesterday IMHO.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

I do not feel informed enough to comment on Nolans contributions on the pitch, although I have seen 4 of our opening games, but what I can say with a bit of authority is that being an effective captain and leader is not confined to 90 minutes a week.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Tis rather tedious repetition, the point was made a few weeks back and is continualy repeated often on the same thread as though someone has an agenda.

The awareness exists that more might be required no-ones arguing against it just saying other factors are also in play and time might sort out any shortcoming.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Not having that Oldun .

Upson was slaughtered on here for virtually all of last season, as was Avram Grant , with the odd sprinkling of venom directed at Noble, Cole and one or two others .

I'll ask you the same as I asked Miles - what did he do yesterday to influence the game , how well do you honestly think he played ?

Are we really at the point where we turn blind eyes to consstent medocrity, rather than politely ( as I have) question a players contribution ?

FWIW I don't care what he is paid, where he came from or what he did at previous clubs - it's his current contribution for West Ham I'm questionning and asking is he bringing enough to the party ( at this point in time) .
raneman
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by raneman »

Read my post again ffs! Where am I making him a scapegoat? I'm saying he's a very good player but the game is passing him by at the moment. I expect more from him as hes a very good player. I havent started a thread just on him or started calling him KFN, as Cole has endured.

As for 442, we are winning at the moment so that's great, but Nolan just isn't mobile enough right now for 442. I say right now, maybe he just needs fitness. How does Baldock fit in then? As Sam said he saw him as a starter. Right side of a 451? He won't score from there.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I actually can't believe Lansbury didn't score from that effort in the first minute. What a chance.
JimJams

Post by JimJams »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150798307850207
Lame singing, and as for the supporter who titled the video, clearly he was off the day they taught the difference between the word 'CUM' and 'COME'
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

I only asked a question, i did not aim it at anyone in particular but it did bring a response didnt it?
I have only seen Nolan in home games when he at best has been average but it worries me that we seem to like
a scapegoat at our club.
It goes back to my feeling that we live in a blame society, it things dont go well we have to blame someone.
I leave the selection to the man who should know best,BFS and hope he knows his players well enough to get the best
out of them.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

the pink palermo wrote: I'm well aware of Brookings qualities - to make a comparison between his contribution and Nolans ( so far) is rather wide of the mark in my opinion .
True, it would definitely be wide of the mark if we were to compare their overall contributions to the club at this stage. But all I'm saying is that Brooking, like Nolan, performed a very specific role as a player and would be similarly criticised if he were a new player for us now. I think the criticism is short-sighted.
the pink palermo wrote: As for Nolans capability as a Captain , the point I was making in my first post is how long will he retain that credibility if the other players believe he's not chipping in with his all round game ? How can Sam question others work rate if the skipper isn't leading from the front in that regard ?
At this stage though, why speculate negatively about player/management dissatisfaction when there's no evidence of it? The morale at the club seems to be better now than it has been for years, and that wouldn't be the case if they had issues with the captain.
the pink palermo wrote: For those referring to Neill , well Lucas could Captain and command a place in the team on merit .
In my opinion, this is doesn’t hold up. He commanded a place due to a lack of options. Neill was also slated constantly towards the end for his lack of pace, being caught out of position, and conceding set pieces in dangerous areas. Fairly or not, I seem to remember his position as captain was also questioned when he wouldn't sign a new contract (sounds familiar).
LeeWHU88

Post by LeeWHU88 »

Lame singing, and as for the supporter who titled the video, clearly he was off the day they taught the difference between the word 'CUM' and 'COME'
Didn't look as if many people around him actually knew the words.

I'll look forward to more videos like this appearing on youtube soon with titles like "Millwall giving it to vermin" and a load of 12 year olds saying how they were there and told west ham fans to meet them after the game and west ham didn't show Headbanger oh the joys of modern day media sharing sites.