West Ham Utd 1 Peterborough 0 (24/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham Utd v Peterborough: match thread

Post by Romford »

Dan1326 wrote:
That's because they won't give us 10,000
#
They wont give us a 1000...but thats a story to come
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Romford wrote:On a totally different note...do Peterboro have to pay for the extra 1000 that they didn't fill ?
The excuse we've been given before for not taking up extra away allocations is that if they are not all sold, then the away club pays for the balance. Hopefully Barry Fry had to kite a cheque.

Maybe that Durham twat can give you a definitive answer?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

cockney farmer wrote:
I will phone ginger and ask him, anyway Romf you been so busy on this thread you have not had a chance to look at the Arsenal one , I was hoping to get a nibble.
You mean Gavin ? I'm after him due to my sons card not working for the 2nd game in a row...

I keep away from all things Goon
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Romford wrote: They wont give us a 1000...but thats a story to come
Yeah, I think they are knocking down the traditional away end in October, so we will be unlikely to get many tickets in the seats.
barlimanrob
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by barlimanrob »

Romf.

I really get where you're coming from, deep down I feel the same way.

My disallusionment though, is with football itself. The way it sold out in 1992. It's a different kettle of fish now, not like the 60's-80's. Sky has ruined the English game.

In times past, we wouldn't have had the stupid debt we have now, a debt which does 'potentially' threaten the existence of our club. I would've been happy to be in the second division, continuing to try and play 'our way.' In this day, in our situation, we can't take the risk that playing that way would bring. For the sake of the club, we need to get back to the Premier League. I hate that this is the case, it's the polar opposite to what I feel football should be about, football should be about entertainment. In a perfect world, it would be.

I'm not being a 'drama queen.' The debt would be unsustainable in this division. We have to get ourselves out of it, the sooner the better. I'm willing to accept that for the time being and get behind the team.

I'm not saying for one minute that you don't get behind the team. I've never met you but you seem to me, to be one of the true supporters.

:thup:
Lez

Post by Lez »

faubert nolan taylor ....not for me .....so far!!
Weird trip yesterday coming down from peterborough seeing folk you see every day etc, yet they were the foe for a day :lol:

gettin abuse about our home support, gotta say i am begging to lean towards more away games!

Nice to see ya yesterday romf. Dont worry my (our) secret is safe with me ;o)
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I have been reading match threads on here for many years...most times i think "They really don't have a clue what they are on about..they think we are Manure" and usually leave well alone. Whats the point ...i think to myself.

Now im the one doing the moaning...and being tarred with that same brush.

Now obviously many people want to get out of this league...and as soon as poss. People make out that we will go bust if we don't get promoted and give it the scare tactics, others that they just enjoy winning games after a very dry time on the win front.

I'm afraid that doesn't sit well with me...we are West Ham United.

It may well be wishful thinking, it may be idealistic but to many like myself it means something.

I'd rather do it the West Ham way than the Bolton one...

That squad yesterday could do far more with a more adventurous manager. I agree that BFS has assembled this squad and it is now a far more positive place...but right now we are turning up to the party with the best looking bird yet dropping her off on the way home even though she's gagging for it.

Im sorry....i've heard enough excuses now...its time to enjoy and see what shes made off
m-h

Post by m-h »

Considering we had a whole week to prepare for the match yesterday, with no distractions, its dissapointing that
we didn't go 4-4-2 to start. Had to rely on radio commentary so difficult to form a realistic opinion, but judging by
almost all the posts on here who did attend we didn't play very well.

It did sound as though when we got the ball on the deck and passed and moved we did ok. We just don't seem to do that
enough (sounds like every game this season so far) and the resulting hoof up the pitch is more oft than not ending up in a change of possession. This team/squad is capable of playing football on the deck, if given the chance.

So with only 2 days to prepare for Ipswhich we will play better. :lol:

Be interesting to see how we play when Nolan gets his first "rest", of the season.
barlimanrob

Post by barlimanrob »

I'm not tarring you mate, I know where you're coming from.

Do you think its worth the risk not getting 'results' by playing riskier football?

I'm not scaremongering at all, our debt is not sustainable where we are.......
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Darren Ferguson's post match presser, in full:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125699" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

barlimanrob wrote:I'm not tarring you mate, I know where you're coming from.

Do you think its worth the risk not getting 'results' by playing riskier football?

I'm not scaremongering at all, our debt is not sustainable where we are.......
I know you ain't mate...

If the 442 doesn't work..change it at half time.

If Baldock isn't as good as his 20 mins at Wall made him look...you can bring him off.

This doesn't have to be one or the other...

I don't think we are hurting visiting teams as much as we should do...especially with the way they are turning up and taking us on.

Why don't just have a go on Tuesday Night ??

We all know Ipswichs weak point after the way Peterboro did them the other week.

Chopra wont miss 3 easy chances..thats for sure.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

barlimanrob wrote:I'm not scaremongering at all, our debt is not sustainable where we are.......
Really ?

And here was me thinking our last published accounts made it clear the cost of our borrowing had reduced .

To put it in perspective , we spend around the same paying Kevin Nolan as we do servicing the debt .
barlimanrob

Post by barlimanrob »

the pink palermo wrote: Really ?

And here was me thinking our last published accounts made it clear the cost of our borrowing had reduced .

To put it in perspective , we spend around the same paying Kevin Nolan as we do servicing the debt .
Maybe I'm wrong then Pinks.

I thought the Chairmen were putting £40mill in to cover the drop in income?

I cant see that that's 'sustainable.'
m-h

Post by m-h »

barlimanrob wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong then Pinks.

I think in part there covering the pre-taken/spent ST monies. IIRC next season the club gets to retain 100% for the first time in three seasons.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

barlimanrob wrote:Maybe I'm wrong then Pinks.

Rob, I think if they do end up putting in that money it will be used - or at least a chunk of it will - to pay down the debt .My opinion is they will want to be debt free by the end of the 2013/14 season .Effectively go into Stratford with no legacy issues hanging over their heads .
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

the pink palermo wrote: Maybe I'm wrong then Pinks.

Rob, I think if they do end up putting in that money it will be used - or at least a chunk of it will - to pay down the debt .My opinion is they will want to be debt free by the end of the 2013/14 season .Effectively go into Stratford with no legacy issues hanging over their heads .
It's not just a question of paying down debt, tho, is it? This is like the economy as a whole. It's all very well paying down debt, but at some point you have to get the whole thing growing positively. Otherwise you get into a vicious circle of lowering income, rising debt and a greater and greater proportion of income servicing debt (plus, unless the debt is all at fixed rates, the cost of it can and will rocket when interest rates rise, which they surely will within the next two years).

G&S will spend money on the team and on bringing down debt just as long as there is a reasonable chance of promotion. That chance is at its best this season. (I know we got up last time in our second year, but we were incredibly lucky, and frankly undeserving, to make the playoffs, so we got away with one there). In any event, the sooner we get our hands on some nice, tasty Sky TV cash, the better.

That means promotion this season.

That means whatever it takes to win points.
barlimanrob

Post by barlimanrob »

Romford wrote:
If the 442 doesn't work..change it at half time.

If Baldock isn't as good as his 20 mins at Wall made him look...you can bring him off.

This doesn't have to be one or the other...
Completely agree.

For what it's worth, I don't have a problem with the formation or the shape we're setting up in. I have a problem with our countering. I love sides who can counter with pace and flair. If Sam can get us doing that a bit more and not using the channels as much, I'd be happy.

I think at the moment he's playing a 'consolidating' type of football. We need to get a bit more expressive on the counter, we'd all be happy with that.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

its a poor return in terms of performance for the squad we have
our back 4 should be faubert, tomkins, Reid, Taylor - attacking full backs who would allow the whole team to push up the pitch
midfield diamond of noble, lansbury, Nolan and Collison or Bentley with Cole and baldock up top.
we are to one paced with the formation, its annoying as we have players to take most teams to the cleaners but for some reason we are more concerned about the other team.
teams that come to Upton park should not be allowed to settle as quickly as they do.
I can understand a 4 5 1 formation away to Boro but at home to Peterborough doesn't make sense
Kent hammer1972

Post by Kent hammer1972 »

After watching yesterday's game, the 4-5-1 or 4-3-3, however you want interpret it is not working for me, Matt Taylor was awfulon the wing, as he was at millwall last week, Faubert on the other hand, apart from a couple of wayward crosses was up and down the wing like a man possessed!!! I honestly believe that we should get behind him because now he is being played in the position he was originally brought in to play he can be a very important player and finally become a fan favourite.
The game seemed in slow motion yesterday and when the ball got into the final third we were left wanting again!!! No one there for knock downs because they were ten seconds behind the play.
I font know about you but I hope Big Sam throws caution tothe wind and sticks two up front because our game I'd crying out for 4-4-2, I'm enjoying the winning and I'm behind Big Sam but we are West Ham not Bolton or Blackburn and we deserve better football.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view - Peterborough:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;