West Ham Utd 1 Peterborough 0 (24/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

lukeWHU

Re: West Ham Utd v Peterborough: match thread

Post by lukeWHU »

Doc H Ball wrote: I didn't see this. Was it after he 'crossed' a ball which ended up nearer to the fish and chip shop than their penalty area? Maybe he was simply asking someone for a fag?
Yes, that was the one. Regardless of what the supporter said, how Faubert could argue back after one of the worst crosses even to be seen at UP, I dont know...

As a slight aside, Joey O'Brien had a great game.
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

Seems people are eager to get on BFS' back and start the moans about "boring football". I suppose that's the issue with having such a reputation.

We've played good football this season so far, excluding yesterday and potentially Millwall. Apart from that, we've looked threatening and created quite a few chances.

How can BFS turn round and change a system that's produced goals and chances? It doesn't spell out the right message to the players operating in that team. Regardless, I think we all want to see 4-4-2 at home, but until BFS is given a real reason to make this change, I don't see it happening.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

BoB_On wrote:lol at the drunk mod
With a foot up with Gout...of course.

:asleep:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

The Green Man wrote:
As much as I agree with a fair few of your points mate, you're making it sound like we lost!
I'd rather we had...then we wouldn't have the same cack on tuesday night.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Unf*ckinbelievable

Hang your heads in shame,we've have become moaning/whinging Sp*rs fans..I just cant believe what i am reading?We're 1pt from being TOP of the Championship after losing 12+ players in the summer..winning football matches,but now its 'moan the f*ck about the football.

Did the moaners in this thread complain about the football after our 4-0 & 4-1 wins at Watford & Forest?How about the 4-3 win over Pompey?..A game that had everything..& showed a 'steel' about West Ham that has been missing for years...

FFS we're 7 games into the season & the negatives keep pouring out from certain posters.As i said before the season starts it dont matter if we need to penalty,corner kick,long ball our way out of this division..a Win is a Win.
Is this the same Spurs fans who don't give a toss how they get them...as long as they get the 3 points ??

I did complain about the football at Forest...because we were lucky.

This is a totally different argument...this is a home game against a poor team.

Again....how low have we dropped when WHU fans becaome the same as Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs and don't care how we play the game.

Bad Darts :thdn:
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Were you happier losing in the premiership under Grant and Zola?

Being that Peterborough are 11th in the league, it looks as though we are going to see a number of poor teams.

We have only played 7 games FFS. We are 5th in the league. You would be near suicidal if we were in the bottom three.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

carnage wrote:
Why should we lose the pens and the OG's? OG's mostly come from good balls in to the box between the defenders and the keeper, penalties when you are attacking. Todays was dodgy though.
In the Forest thread you said we played better against Leeds(apologies if I have recalled that wrong), but now Leeds totally outplayed us.

Sam is going to be judged on results by the owners, that's their only criteria. He said if he doesn't get
promoted he will be sacked so he will do the best be can to achieve that. Some want him sacked already if we
go up which I find unbelievable.
Well according to most...Faubert was shocking yesterday, but remind me who played the ball in for the pen.

My point is, people are making out that this 451 is working at home because of the amount of goals we have scored.

I am saying that without Pens, OGs and goals scored when teams were a player down...we haven't scored hardly any from open play.

I think we played our best attacking football at home against Leeds in the first 20 mins...apart from the 2nd half at Watford.

Otherwise...the quality of the actual football has been poor.

The quality of our set plays has been top drawer i will agree....but is that and defending all we are really capable of ??
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

lukeWHU wrote: I am saying that without Pens, OGs and goals scored when teams were a player down...we haven't scored hardly any from open play.
Why are we not allowed to take these goals into account? All of these goals have arised due to open play.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Romford wrote:
Again....how low have we dropped when WHU fans becaome the same as Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs and don't care how we play the game.
Could be worse, we could be moving to an athletics stadium in a poor attempt to challenge Arsenal, Chelsea, and Spurs. :wink:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

we haven't scored hardly any from open play.
Finally someone who's come out and said it! I don't mind about getting goals from set pieces it's good we are making the most of them now, but like you said we havn't scored many from open play and it can't carry on, not every ref's going to give us penalties/free kicks in dangerous areas.
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

We have scored the most goals in the league, and have the second best goal difference. We must be doing something right?
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

I don't think 4-5-1 is working at home, but I think our defending at home has also been poor. This was our first clean sheet at home
this season. We havnt looked like keeping a clean sheet at home all season. Our defence isn't as good as some are making out IMO.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

lukeWHU wrote:
Were you happier losing in the premiership under Grant and Zola?

Being that Peterborough are 11th in the league, it looks as though we are going to see a number of poor teams.

We have only played 7 games FFS. We are 5th in the league. You would be near suicidal if we were in the bottom three.
No i wouldn't...i have been used to it over the many years.

All you mugs coming on here making out "its 3 points so its all the matters" will be jumping up and down when we stop winning the 3 points because the away team get a lucky goal.

I think these players can do so much more...yet are not being allowed to because of boring tactics.

Peterboro weren't the problem yesterday...BFS was.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

carnage wrote:I don't think 4-5-1 is working at home, but I think our defending at home has also been poor. This was our first clean sheet at home
this season. We havnt looked like keeping a clean sheet at home all season. Our defence isn't as good as some are making out IMO.
I think the centre-backs have played well all season...and we have 3 top drawer ones.

Jury is still out on Ringo...

I'm more worried about being outrun in the centre of the park when we have 5 players there :shock:
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

carnage wrote:Our defence isn't as good as some are making out IMO.
Its better than the last few seasons.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

lukeWHU wrote:We have scored the most goals in the league, and have the second best goal difference. We must be doing something right?
We have the best squad...thats the real sad thing !?

Shame BFS doesn't use it to its potential.

Oh well...as some of you say, All that matters is the 3 points

:evil:
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Romford wrote:No i wouldn't...i have been used to it over the many years.

All you mugs coming on here making out "its 3 points so its all the matters" will be jumping up and down when we stop winning the 3 points because the away team get a lucky goal.

I think these players can do so much more...yet are not being allowed to because of boring tactics.

Peterboro weren't the problem yesterday...BFS was.
Look, I want to see us play 442, and score 3/4 goals at home every week. But, you need to look at it from BFS perspective. We are winning games and scoring goals. Its hard for him to justify a total change of formation and personnel whilst we continue to do so. Baldock and Bentley are inevitably going to get in the side, but how can BFS justify dropping any of yesterdays starting 11?
Mark32

Post by Mark32 »

It was not the perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. However, we only needed 1 goal to beat Peterborough and we got it so I'm happy. Had it been a scoreless draw or defeat I could see the cause for concern in the style of play.

It's a long season in the Championship and no matter who you have in charge, or whether you're playing home or away, or whoever it's against we're going to have games and spells where the football is not first class. As long as we're winning during those spells I will remain happy.
I care about the way we play, but I also know when I'm happier. No matter how well we play I'm always going to be happier after a 1-0 win rather than a 1-0 defeat. If that reflects bad on me then so be it, it doesn't bother me one bit.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

lukeWHU wrote:
Why are we not allowed to take these goals into account? All of these goals have arised due to open play.
But its clouding the problems...i think we have been very lucky.

If i know anything from my 30+ years of going over the BG...its not something that usually lasts long.

We are not creating enough, we are not really beating teams and we are leaving ourselves out to be caught by the odd goal.

This squad could and should be doing better.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Jigga wrote:Put yourself in the manager shoes yesterday...

So A or B ???
A every time...because Peterboro could have scored at any time yesterday.

Who was the busier keeper ?

If it was Green...how you have put your argument is not really how it was fella.