West Ham Utd 1 Peterborough 0 (24/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Peterborough: match thread

Post by Up the Junction »

Coker wrote:Faye was MOM easy , not sure why Noble got it :shock:
The MotM award is decided by the match sponsors - and as they get to meet the recipient after the game, chances are they'll go for their favourite player more often than not.

It's a pointless award, basically. Faye was clearly the best player on the park yesterday (though in all fairness, Noble had a decent game).
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

How will the fans know until they see him ?
But, we dont pick the side. BFS can't just pick Baldock because we all want to see him play. BFS watches him day in day out in training and for the reserves. I guess all we can do is trust his judgement for the time being dont we?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

lukeWHU wrote:Faye had a good game. Noble had a good game. What does a midfielder having a good game suggest to you?
What does it suggest to you? Intrigued.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Lez wrote:nolan who? Taylor mmmmm! Faye superb (imo) faubert bentley excellent (imo) Green busier of the 2? not a lot in it (imo)
crap atmosphere, tosh game. Why o why wont bfs alternate during a game from 1 up to two up front?

That said i am looking forward to my next game which i am glad to say will be an away one!
You call me Rob again in a pub and i will ignore you... 8-)

I can't believe you are all slagging Faubert...i though he gave us energy yesterday (although again like Wall some of his crosses weren't great i will admit).

I hope you didn't wind your locals up too much on the way home mate
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

lukeWHU wrote:But, we dont pick the side. BFS can't just pick Baldock because we all want to see him play. BFS watches him day in day out in training and for the reserves. I guess all we can do is trust his judgement for the time being dont we?
It was his jedgement that signed the bloke for £2m+ to sit on the bench.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

lukeWHU wrote:
But, we dont pick the side. BFS can't just pick Baldock because we all want to see him play. BFS watches him day in day out in training and for the reserves. I guess all we can do is trust his judgement for the time being dont we?
Thats the whole point...many don't trust him.

Many have seen that he picks the players he has bought in...and even though they lack fitness they keep getting picked.

That then opens a can of worms
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Romford wrote: Baldock could of course be another Lansbury...but there is only one way to find out.

We have enough quality in our squad to be able to try different formations and options.

Is it going to take us being a couple of goals behind to make a change ?
I think it will. It looks as though the only way Baldock is going to get on the pitch is (i) we are losing a game or (ii) Carew and Cole get injured. Not fair on Baldock nor do I agree with BFS on this one. But, BFS seems like a pretty stubborn bloke. He he is going to carry on playing 4-5-1 (its not 433 by any stretch) until (in his eyes) things start going wrong. Whilst he is still getting results, its going to be difficult for anyone to criticise him i guess.
romfordneil
Has liked: 45 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by romfordneil »

People can moan and whinge all they like about yesterdays performance but the bottom line is we won and looking at the bigger picture, we have 17 points from 8 games - promotion form - at a time there has been massive upheaval to the squad. Get a grip, get behind the team, accept it's not going to be pretty at times and BFS ain't going to pick the team YOU want every time. Sick of all the negativity at the ground and on here. Just mental, we all want us to be a free flowing football team but if we don't get up in the next 2 seasons, this club is only going to go one way for the forseeable future and it won't be upwards. See the bigger picture FFS.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Romford wrote:BFS has said we played 433 yesterday....

You still going to defend him ?

433......... :shock: cole and carew, must of each felt like '' an idiot abroad''
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Romford wrote: Thats the whole point...many don't trust him.

Many have seen that he picks the players he has bought in...and even though they lack fitness they keep getting picked.

He has to though. A manager has to pick the players he has bought, otherwise it looks as though he doesnt have a clue what he is doing. Grant signed Barrera and Reid and didnt play them....didnt say much about Grant.

Who do you think lacks fitness?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote: Many have seen that he picks the players he has bought in...and even though they lack fitness they keep getting picked.

And there's the rub .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

lukeWHU wrote:
He has to though. A manager has to pick the players he has bought, otherwise it looks as though he doesnt have a clue what he is doing. Grant signed Barrera and Reid and didnt play them....didnt say much about Grant.

Who do you think lacks fitness?
Nolan and Taylor...to watch our captain yesterday wait for a tackle(and then ask for a pen) when clean through on goal was a very sad sight

Grant played Barrera and Reid....and watched them lose confidence.

He played them at the start though...and then made the decision.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I hope weplay like we did yesteday at Southampton in a couple of weeks ~ They won't like it up 'em
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

Puff Daddy wrote:I hope weplay like we did yesteday at Southampton in a couple of weeks ~ They won't like it up 'em

thats if we get near the ball :D
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Perhaps I do tend to defend Big Sam, and for now he has my trust. I have been going to West Ham for over 35 years, and have seen the great and the ****. I am trying to look at the bigger picture. We were a club in crisis, I truly think last season was the most shameful and cowardly in all my days as a West Ham fan. Yes we had days like the Bond Scheme, and days when we lost all our young talent in one sweep, but last year was just pathetic, (and yes the two Cup Runs were a flukey diversion).

The team and club needed a huge restructuring, which has happened. It would be short sighted to believe we could go from an absolute shambles to a sublime footballing promotion team in a couple of months. As of 25th September 2011, Sam has done what has been needed. We have got rid of a lot of deadwood, and brought in players that most of us agreed were good signings. We are a couple of points from the top, and have not lost in the League since the opening day of the season. OK, the perfomances have not been great, and at times boredom has been the main emotion for the fan at the game. However, a big clue into Sam's mindset was his comments after the Watford game. He stated that any team of his had to win the right to play football. We may not like this, but I do not think Sam is going "allow" the team to play freeflowing expansive football unless we have a 2 or 3 nil lead.

As for the players, Nolan is starting to worry me. I have not seen him be effective in any game this year. But what worries me more is that he is being touted as the Club Captain. This is not like the honorary title the dickhead Upson had, this is much more. This all adds up to mean that he is unlikely to be finding himself on the bench anytime soon.

Lansbury is going to divide opinion all season. I still remain positive about his potential more so than his actual performance to date.

Bentley is another marmite player, but I think he has the ability to change a game. However, I see him no more than a potential "super sub". He is not a starter IMHO.

Faye. I won't go overboard after one game but the bloke is a proper Championship defender and hopefully a man mountain in our defence. The problem is with him, Tomkins and Reid all playing so well, something/one has to give.

Faubert, despite poor distribution, he is the one player that gets behind the opposition and he is improving with each game.

Taylor. A grey start to his career at the club. Really can not see what he offers.

I will shut up now before this becomes an essay. Because I missed the Pompey game because of work, yesterday was the first time I have seen West Ham win at home since March 5th. So forgive me if I am just happy with the 3 points, and the end of my time of being called a bad luck charm.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

chigwells finest wrote:

thats if we get near the ball :D
Well, that's just it, one thing BFS has done for us, is make us a much better side when we don't have the ball
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

On a totally different note...do Peterboro have to pay for the extra 1000 that they didn't fill ?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:On a totally different note...do Peterboro have to pay for the extra 1000 that they didn't fill ?
I believe so .

Full marks to their support though , even though it's not far they brought about a third of their ( reguarly attending ) fan base yesterday .

To put it in context , we won't take 10,000 to their ground .
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Romford wrote:On a totally different note...do Peterboro have to pay for the extra 1000 that they didn't fill ?

I will phone ginger and ask him, anyway Romf you been so busy on this thread you have not had a chance to look at the Arsenal one , I was hoping to get a nibble.
Dan1326
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by Dan1326 »

the pink palermo wrote: To put it in context , we won't take 10,000 to their ground .
That's because they won't give us 10,000