West Ham Utd 1 Peterborough 0 (24/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: West Ham Utd v Peterborough: match thread

Post by m-h »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view - Peterborough:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
UTJ,
that link would be well served in the snap poll thread as well. It kind of hits home that others now view us as the Bolton of London,
a bit hard to take really if i'm honest.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Sorry Romford, why the headbanging?

And we beat Watford 4-0 so I'm not sure of your point here?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

miami-hammer wrote:that link would be well served in the snap poll thread as well.
Fill one's boots :thup:
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

I thought we played well in small patches of the game and for most part we were in control.However Posh were a better team than i thought they would be and certainly troubled us a few times.the header from the corner in the 1st minute was a let off for us and another corner where their player chose to head it back across goal instead of directly at goal.And in the 2nd half they had a few half chances where they may/could have done better.We needed the 2nd goal and it just would not come ending in a nervy finish for us.Our defence looks pretty decent with Faye standing out yesterday.He is a rock.Our midfield worked hard tho i was expecting a bit more flair from Lansbury,but i`m confident he will show that in due course.Was pleased with Carew and Bentley when they came on and Bentley looks a class act and i feel theres more to come from him.

Not the greatest performance but 3 points and a clean sheet.Lets hope for the same on tuesday and would be nice if we play alot better.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

No way did Posh deserve a point like some of them seem to think, yes we were poor but they were shocking as well
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:No way did Posh deserve a point like some of them seem to think, yes we were poor but they were shocking as well
I thought they had the games best player in Boyd .
TheAlmightyAmmer

the pink palermo wrote: I thought they had the games best player in Boyd .
Maybe but to be honest they didn't test our defence much and Green didn't make a save which really tested him
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:Maybe but to be honest they didn't test our defence much and Green didn't make a save which really tested him
I don't recall their keeper leaving the field , bathed in sweat ,either ........and we were at home .
TheAlmightyAmmer

the pink palermo wrote: I don't recall their keeper leaving the field , bathed in sweat ,either ........and we were at home .
I agree, but the amount of possession we had for spells of the game it seemed (from where I was sitting) as though we created a lot more chances than them, despite being crap
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view - Peterborough:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all know it's bad but you know when it's really bad when Peterborough fans are calling us a poor footballing side and that it seems like we've thrown our tradition out of the window.

But blaming it all on Allardyce!
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

The Rebirth wrote: We all know it's bad but you know when it's really bad when Peterborough fans are calling us a poor footballing side and that it seems like we've thrown our tradition out of the window.

But blaming it all on Allardyce!
Who would you blame then?
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

I have just returned from another enjoyable Saturday at Upton Park(London to Dublin :)). The game was enjoyable, and it was edge of the seat in the latter part of the game. However, I am suprised at the response by the Posh's fans. First, Peterborough are a peripheral team, who were outplayed by a West Ham team which was not at its best. Save for one inexplicable defensive howler from Reid and Faye(the parting of the waters which allowed the Peterborough striker to shoot wide), and the shot which Rob Green made a meal of, they were not at the races. They had no ability to turn the screw, their decision making was completely injudicious, and they struggled to come to terms with players like Landsbury,Carew, and Noble. Faye, and Reid were dominant in defence, and the reality is that the Hammers should have won this game by more than one goal. The goal, coming from a clear penalty, was deserved, and it ultimately proved to be the decisive goal.

From a West Ham perspective, i continue to worry about the system employed by Sam. I believe that his system gives rise to a midfield constipation, and a disconnect with the forward-line(which usually contains a large lug, with little speed). This prevents West Ham from racking up large scores(notwithstanding the 12 goals scored against Pompey, Watford, and Forest). While it is not a continuing trend, or a recurring theme, it has happened in the games against Cardiff City, Doncaster, and Leeds United, and it has cost the club at least three points, and an improvement in our goal difference.

Furthermore, there are one or two players in the team who are not at the races. Julian Faubert is a prime example. He had a very poor game, against a poor team yesterday. He also struggled against Milwall, and Pompey. While I have full faith in him, I notice that Joey O'Brien has certainly lost the yard of pace he once had. This prevents him being utilised in an attacking role as much as would be liked by management and fans. Kevin Nolan is a worry. He is failing to impose himself on games, and i would question whether he is doing the "work" which is done by unsung heroes. Henri Landsbury seems to be doing that work, while also showing a few flashs of brilliance.

Overall, I am fairly happy with what I have seen at my first game at UP in 10 months. There is a good squad assembled, and it did not need to be at its best yesterday to win, and win quite easily.

My Ratings.

R.Green 7 One howler, but he made a fine save in the early exchanges. Notices the manner in which the Posh reset themselves for goal kicks, and he utilised that to the Hammers advantage
J.O'Brien 6 A fine defensive effort. Was rarely beaten by his man, and in spite of his pace, he occasionally offered Faubert an outlet.
G.McCartney 6 Competent throughout. No clangers of note
A.Faye 7 One mistake in conjunction with Reid. Made some telling tackles, and used his strength well.
W.Reid 7 One mistake in conjunction with Faye. Has the ability to cope with the Championship. Some good play on the ground and in the air
J.Faubert 5 A poor day. He was sluggish from the off, and his crosses and dead-ball play was ineffective.
H.Landsbury 7 This guy looks good. He has a hybrid mindset of defense and attack. Made himself a chance or two.
K.Nolan 5 Really quiet. Wasted a glourious chance when through on goal, and he failed to test the keeper.
M.Noble 7 Took his penalty well. He remians full of running, which troubled Peterborough several times
M.Taylor 7 Has good control, and played some decent balls into the box. Allardyce's failure to play two men up front makes his job harder
C.Cole 5 A frustrating day. Gave up early in the second half, after he stopped challanging for headers

Subs

J.Carew 6 Troubled Peterborough, and made chances for himself and others. He is simply not fit enough to act as a loan ranger striker
D.Bentley 6 Caused concern from his introduction.
J.Tomkins N/A
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hammerdivone wrote:Sorry Romford, why the headbanging?

And we beat Watford 4-0 so I'm not sure of your point here?

Because you have a pic of Ron then say what you did...

I'm not getting into yet another argument...I'm embarrassed by how many many people only worry about the points.

To see Peterboro fans rightly mug off our formation and performance says it all.

I'm full of Gout...and the Doris and Dustbins have been getting it all day :evil:

We are obviously just yet another club...i thought our fans were different.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Romford wrote:
I'm full of Gout...and the Doris and Dustbins have been getting it all day :evil:

We are obviously just yet another club...i thought our fans were different.
Pffft gout.

I have the Mrs feeding her X Factor addition, and the bedroom TV has not been delivered yet, (despite being ordered 4 weeks ago), and I am starving and the Pizza guy is not here....which is of course my fault as she who must be obeyed keeps reminding me because she said Dominos would be quicker.

Anyway, I do not think this whole fight is black or white. You and I sound like we are from the same era, and I was brought up with the thrill of not knowing whether West Ham were going to turn up and murder a team, playing like a footballing Harlem Globetrotters, or not turn up at all. On the other hand, successive regimes and management have conspired to rip the heart out of the club. We are rebuilding, and if we have to suffer a view mind numblingly boring games to get some confidence back into the team, then I can tolerate it for now.

IF we are still playing like this in say January, then I will be firmly in the "this is not why I support West Ham" crowd.
Turn-It-In

Post by Turn-It-In »

Quite happy to play boring and win if it means promotion. At least I'm happy on a Saturday these days.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Ive got another 3 months of this before you join me :shock:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Romford wrote:Ive got another 3 months of this before you join me :shock:
I have to stay confident. I ran out of windows to count in the block of flats behind the East Stand with 10 minutes of the match left yesterday.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Romford wrote:
I'm embarrassed by how many many people only worry about the points.
:thup: West Ham is and should be much more than win at all costs, we are doing quite well points wise, but im not enjoying the entertainment, which for me is the main thing.
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by chappo59 »

I have to stay confident. I ran out of windows to count in the block of flats behind the East Stand with 10 minutes of the match left yesterday.[/quote]

:lol:
WHU Independent
Has liked: 1637 likes
Total likes: 506 likes

Post by WHU Independent »

I and the punters around me yesterday thought that The Posh played quite well. Lots of movement on and off the ball, first time passing, lots of effort but poor finishing. If I was in their area and they were playing at home, I'd go and give them another look.