West Ham Utd 1 Peterborough 0 (24/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Peterborough: match thread

Post by chigwells finest »

im not the best judge or expert on a game, but as been said their keeper only made 1 save , thought taylor and nolan were quite poor today, and although faubert worked his arse off, his final ball into the box today was abysmal, fwiw, bentley seemed to have the crowd more excited by what he did whilst he was on.

at the back i thought faye was outstanding, his timing in 3/4 tackles was outstanding , and the defence definately looks tighter with him alongside reid ( excellent today ) or tomkins. carew also played well and did his job well .

still it is 3 points but we'll have to up our game surely............
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Sam Allardyce wrote:everything else went according to plan. Nullifying the opposition when they have the ball and limiting their opportunities to score. Then breaking off them and using the spaces they leave to expose them.
Basically we are playing counter attacking football against the worst team in the division, at home. It's not awe inspiring stuff is it.

I tend to agree with Romford, 4-5-1 is the formation we play, it's boring as hell and it is nowhere near as effective as people are claiming. Allardyce's claims that we will play attractive football at home have been absolute bull crap so far. We must improve and I think we will.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Romford wrote:
He was our main outlet...and our right was far stronger than our left.

Gave the most energy..

Some poor crosses I agree...

Was you at the match ???
Yes Romford how else could I make a judgement of the game?

By gave the most energy you mean running around out of position!
Tophammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Tophammer »

Couldnt give a f*** about the performance, 3 points :thup:
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

Unf*ckinbelievable :x

Hang your heads in shame,we've have become moaning/whinging Sp*rs fans..I just cant believe what i am reading?We're 1pt from being TOP of the Championship after losing 12+ players in the summer..winning football matches,but now its 'moan the f*ck about the football.

Did the moaners in this thread complain about the football after our 4-0 & 4-1 wins at Watford & Forest?How about the 4-3 win over Pompey?..A game that had everything..& showed a 'steel' about West Ham that has been missing for years...

FFS we're 7 games into the season & the negatives keep pouring out from certain posters.As i said before the season starts it dont matter if we need to penalty,corner kick,long ball our way out of this division..a Win is a Win.
Countryboy

Post by Countryboy »

richneal wrote:Like many others, I want the best of both worlds...
Fair enough, but I'm 52 ... so I first heard about West Ham because of the Cup, Cup-Winners' Cup and World Cup in 64, 65, 66 and I'm old enough to remember the 75 and 80 Cups ... but I can't help but point out that all this brilliant football we hear so much about had (a) got us relegated in 78 and (b) has won the square root of absolutely f*ck-all since 1980. I'm also old enough to know that when you reach middle-age it's easy to look at the past through rose-tinted spectacles: the weather was sunnier, the girls were prettier, the music was better, etc .. But then I listen to Brian Matthews do that Sound of the Sixties show on Radio 2 Saturday mornings and I realise that altho' the best bits of the Sixties music I grew up with as a small boy were bloody brilliant, the rest of it - which is about 95% - was absolute *****. The same applies to the football back then, too.

We had a generation great, great players - proper legends of the game ... But (and this is a genuine question), did they actually score any more goals than the ones we've got now? Did the team of 78-81, playing in the then Second Division win many games by scoring four away from home? If they did, fair enough ... But my guess is that they didn't score any more or play any better.

My first-ever West Ham game was away at Southampton, must have been about 1970. We lost. My first trip to Upton Park was in the Christmas holidays, 1971 or 72. As I recall, we played Newcastle in front of 17,000 people and drew 0-0. Trust me, it was hardly rip-roaring football.

Honestly, life wasn't any better then. It just felt like it because we were younger. In the meantime, we are doing the one and only thing we have to do this season, which is keep picking up points. If we win this division it'lll be because we keep grinding out results while other, prettier teams like Brighton and Southampton start to suffer when injuries kick in and their squad is depleted.

As a Premiership club, in the Olympic Stadium, the club has a chance of being a really big player. As a Championship club it collapses under a £75m pile of debt. That is the reality of the situation. Getting promotion is absolutely the only thing that matters, or should matter to anyone whoa actually cares about the future of this club more than about its past.

I know it's not pretty. And I take Romford's point about driving spectators away. But long term, which will drive spectators away more: playing in the Premiership, or playing in League One? Let's just sacrifice one season to getting back to the Premiership. Let's spend a few months at the top of a table for once, see how that feels. Suck it up for 12 months. Long-run, it'll be worth it.
Paulo Wanchope

Post by Paulo Wanchope »

we have the ex bolton manager and 4 bolton players - what did you expect

its going to be a slow boring grind to get promoted, and if we do sam may not be the right man for us
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Why is Big Sam calling it a 4-3-3, isn't that where the two wide players are always with the striker and from what I saw yesterday John Carew was holding the ball up for extortionate amount of times, waiting for the wingers to get with him, looks more like a 4-5-1 to me.
Coker

Post by Coker »

wow alot of reading since i was last on here

Green , another clean sheet plus made a few good saves
3 points playing not that great is better than 1 playing well?
great defending but we were playing a chit league 1 team, how will we cope with leicester playing that way

would love to see a 4-4-2 but what if we play that on tues and lose :crest:
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

would love to see a 4-4-2 but what if we play that on tues and lose
At least he would of tried something different I suppose mate, at home we definately need to be more attacking. Green had to make more saves than their keeper today, I know it happens but we were playing Peterborough at home and with what we've got at our expense finally tested their keeper in the 78th minute which to me and many others just isn't good enough. Don't get me wrong I'm happy we won, very happy with where we are in the table and the fact that we havn't lost in 7. And I know people will say "if it aint broke don't fix it" it's just that I can't see us winning against the likes of Leicester at home playing how we did yesterday.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

The results in our league today epitomise how difficult a "slog" it is, I know the squad is capable of more and better and the thought of Bentley, Baldock both starting is quite exciting. I am sure we will see that when it is judged the time is right to do so. For now I will accept the progress and closing on teams who will be our main competition and stand in our way of what 95% of us crave , automatic promotion.

Now for our Taffy friends to hold Man Citeh of the championship to complete an effective if not exciting set of weekend results.
hammerbenj

Post by hammerbenj »

the pink palermo wrote:I haven't read the thread yet , but my own view on what I watched this afternoon was we were dreadful .

No creativity , no flair, no pace , no threat .

Awful football .Do not fall in to the trap of a "win is a win" .

We're West Ham United - we should be better than that .

We were playing Peterborough United - think about that .
Haha! Brilliant
Coker

Post by Coker »

cockney farmer wrote:The results in our league today epitomise how difficult a "slog" it is, I know the squad is capable of more and better and the thought of Bentley, Baldock both starting is quite exciting. I am sure we will see that when it is judged the time is right to do so. For now I will accept the progress and closing on teams who will be our main competition and stand in our way of what 95% of us crave , automatic promotion.

Now for our Taffy friends to hold Man Citeh of the championship to complete an effective if not exciting set of weekend results.
Agreed :thup:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Romford wrote:
Lose the pens and the OGs...and don't forget when the oppos haven't been a player down.

I honestly think you are watching a different team to me
Why should we lose the pens and the OG's? OG's mostly come from good balls in to the box between the defenders and the keeper, penalties when you are attacking. Todays was dodgy though.
In the Forest thread you said we played better against Leeds(apologies if I have recalled that wrong), but now Leeds totally outplayed us.

Sam is going to be judged on results by the owners, that's their only criteria. He said if he doesn't get
promoted he will be sacked so he will do the best be can to achieve that. Some want him sacked already if we
go up which I find unbelievable.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

I rank promotion higher than good football at the moment. I'm pretty sure that getting back into the premierleague was Sam's main objective.

I think that will come anyway. Loads of new players take time to gel. We're getting wins before this process is anywhere near complete.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

Some very valid points there. I'm 55 and I honestly can't begin to remember how many crap performances I saw from West Ham in the 60's, 70's and 80's. Or how many times I saw us run up the white flag straight from the off. That includes almost every visit to Anfield since 1963. Countless canings at Old Trafford. Numerous humilliations against 'lesser' teams in cup competittions.

It's like that old chestnut that everybody used to leave their doors unlocked in the old days, because no one would burgle you. It's rubbish, such a time never existed.
There is indeed a danger t6hat as you get older you view the past with rose tinted spectacles. Especially when it comes to West Ham !
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

Put yourself in the manager shoes yesterday...

65mins: You are 1-0 up at home in a game the team are not playing particularly well. 4-5-1 system is working defensively but not much threat going forward. Bear in mind we have won once at home this season...

Do you a) Go 442 bring on another striker and push for a 2-0 lead but leave the team exposed to the counter attack. The lack of pace would become more evident and there would be a higher percentage the opposition could equalise.

Do you b) Keep the shape but add fresh legs in like for like positions to try and get the second goal, with the overall aim to ensure we keep a clean sheet and take the maximum points from a leading position.

My answer would be B because we would have looked ****ing silly if Peterborough had equalised.Yesterday was a case of seeing out the game and taking the points.

So A or B ???
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

I thaught Allardyce said we were playing 4-3-3 ?
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Please don't try and tell me that Faubert was good yesterday. Just because he runs hard, that doesnt mean he has played well. His crossing is atrocious. The fact that he is arguing with people in the crowd just shows hoe frustrated he was. Get Bentley in Sam.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

lukeWHU wrote: The fact that he is arguing with people in the crowd just shows hoe frustrated he was.
I didn't see this. Was it after he 'crossed' a ball which ended up nearer to the fish and chip shop than their penalty area? Maybe he was simply asking someone for a fag?