West Ham Utd 0 Ipswich Town 1 (27/09/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

roblo
Has liked: 151 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Post by roblo »

Was a strange one last night.

Bulldog, Nolan and Bentley all on till the end - despite never really getting in the game.
Lansbury and Cole taken off - although they looked the most threatening.
Faubert, who's showed a lot of promise of late, not even brought on.

First half there seemed to be no real positions for most of the midfield, floating around not really knowing where to go.

Ultimately, however, I think we were beaten by a better team. We're not gonna win every game this season, and last night was a wake up call that team ARE better than us. As I said in the Palace thread, it was an experiment that didn't work, let's learn and move on. Stick to the 4-5-1 but play two proper wingers. Eventually Nolan will come good and we'll score enough goals to at least reach the play-offs (realistically).
Albie Beck
Has liked: 611 likes
Total likes: 638 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

HammerMan2004 wrote:You are welcome to mine mate, it is folded in half from being in my back pocket though.
No prob, thanks - have PM'd. :thup:
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Ipswich's wage bill must be massive, Bullard, Bowyer, Edwards, Scotland, Chopra, Thomas, Leadbitter, Ingimarsson and Sonko are all ex Premiership, Bullard was meant to be on 40K+ at Hull, they must be chucking some £'s around.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

EvilC wrote:UTJ - did Allardyce do a press conference after the game?
Yes - now live here:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125708" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edited.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

UTJ you allowed to audio/video these press conferences? Would be much more modern but I appreciate the text one, just saying a multimedia one would be better in my eyes.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

Up the Junction wrote:Yes - now live here
Or here maybe?

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125708
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

fmgod wrote:UTJ you allowed to audio/video these press conferences?
You mean broadcast them (my memory's not that good)? No.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

green
RB - faubert (The guy is not a right winger, play him at full back for his energy and enthusiasm, will run up and down all day, also an attacking threat from deep)
CH - Faye
CH - Tomkins
LB - Taylor (Quality on the ball and will provide width and another attaking threat - has played there plenty of times)
Noble (Hold midfield)
Collison (Left side of diamond, such a clever footballer, always running off the ball, shone there under Zola)
Lansbury(Right side of diamond, got a good eye for goal)
Nolan (top of the diamond)
CF - Baldock
CF - Cole

Bentley is a waste of space, never liked the bloke!
We have no other alternative in my opinion as Nolan and Noble will never get dropped, this is something we will have to accept, play them in a central 2 and we will get murdered by the weakest teams in this league due to lack of mobility. Playing a 451 not to get beat is ridiculous. Better teams will pick us off. Having forward thinking full backs is massive when it comes to an attacking line up, it's not gung ho but a tactic used to get your team 15/20 yards further up the pitch so we can actually create chances.
We have a really good bunch of players for this level and it's annoying that they're not being used in the right way to get the best out of one another.

Rant over!
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

as soon as you put faubert at right back I stopped reading.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

gegsy wrote:as soon as you put faubert at right back I stopped reading.
in your opinion
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

gegsy wrote:as soon as you put faubert at right back I stopped reading.
simon1982 wrote:in your opinion
In my opinion he read the whole thing twice then printed it out to pin on his wall.

I like Sam's press conference comments about pressure being a pleasure for the new players. How does he manage to make so many offhand comments sound like references to sexual practices? It's natural a talent.
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

So pleased i aint paying for this at Mo Fellas, still its 29c, set in for a while here, women are hot, hot , hot, Pack of fags 1.20, Beer 1. 50 ,3 course meal at local restaraunt 3.50 and thats euros, Bith of a life aint it, oh, and 4 other in the whole Hostel

, 2 aussie birds and 2 english, Me and gazZa maybe only ones here Next week, Close to Bus station Beach and Nico the owner insists on Raki (local stuff) for breakfast ,dinner and tea,

Back for Blackpool, game.
P.s reckons he can get tickets sorted for next week england game, more interestedin Basketball here.

Gaz will be paying 9 euros

a night, not the ritz, but own room, air con ,clean, hot water , Led Zeppelin on at mo, Had bubbles last night, Cockney Rejects,well 2 this morn.

Life is a real bitch. 8-)
The Collector
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by The Collector »

My first game of the season. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.
Muddy
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Muddy »

Ipswitch played football. We didn't. That's the way i saw it.
UptonHammer

Post by UptonHammer »

Basically, we just never got going, and fair play to Ipswich, they passed it about nicely - and deserved to win, nobody can argue with that. Bentley and Nolan are desperately out of form, and need to find it soon. However, I feel we just had an off day, and hope this won't knock our confidence. Baldock deserves to be given more chances, he didn't get much of a say, with rubbish service from the midfield. I also feel that we missed Taylor on the left, putting those deadly crosses in which really helps. Anyway

Onwards and upwards, lets bounce back against Palace, COYI :crest:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 828 likes
Total likes: 1963 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: Carlton is an odd one. Looked so comfortable in this league until the Millwall game, and suddenly he's got the same nervous demeanour he had last season, where he seems to expect to lose every challenge and miss every shot. We need him firing if we're going back up. Sam needs to get him back where he was as a matter of urgency. That's what man-management's all about.
What I saw yesterday - my first match from the stands - was the same old, same old, of Cartlon getting penalised, often with the opposing back four's arms aloft, in practically half the challenges he made. He's not that dirty a player, in my eyes, but, once the opposing team have had a few calls their way, his concentration perhaps dips and his touch starts to evaporate.

Man-management of the whole midfield might be worth an hour or so, too.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 914 likes
Total likes: 1902 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I thought CFC had a really good game last night and was disappointed to see him taken off for The Tree MkII. If BFS wanted to rest someone for Saturday's game, I'd rather he rotate than change them at a key point in the game. After he went off, I thought we lost some momentum.

Again, I do not get Bentley. He is a tart.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

I loved the logic of Cole being against the tallest centre back in the league and we expected him to win headers.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Muddy wrote:Ipswitch played football. We didn't. That's the way i saw it.
This
Denbighammer
Has liked: 701 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

The Gibbins wrote:What i also dont understand is how predictable everything is. We pass the ball between back four and then a hopeless ball up to Cole, where im not really sure what he is supposed to do with it. It's head height and he has 2 marking him, and Baldock (although he made some good runs) was playing on the right wing ffs so nowhere near any flick ons or loose balls.

Every set piece, no matter the angle is going to Tomkins. He has certainly been a threat, but we have done this for about 6 matches now and im sure teams have sussed every corner is going back post if i can.

We have Noble, Lansbury, Bentley, Nolan, Collison etc in midfield, how can we not play football at home like Ipswich did? Every game this season we have played like an away team, we couldnt string any passes together.
Good post, although the first paragraph accurately sums up our football under Zola and Grant too. The only difference is the long ball is played quicker than under the previous managers where we normally ****ed about on the halfway line for about ten passes before rolling it back for a clog forward.
With the midfield players we have we should be playing better stuff, Bentley, Noble etc have got to want the ball and pass it and pass it simply. Effective, simple passing is whats required with a variety of other stuff, including the long ball forward now and again.