West Ham Utd 0 Ipswich Town 1 (27/09/11)

An archive of match day threads originally posted in the General Discussion forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Aceface on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:35 am

Can't help thinking that Taylor's absence for the past game and half has had a lot to do with our lack of goalscoring. Despite the reservations certain people have about him, he's been directly or indirectly responsible for a huge proportion of our goals this season. Even when his general play hasn't been sparkling (which you could argue has been every game after Cardiff) we've still been relying heavily on him to spark something for us at the sharp end
User avatar
Aceface
 
Posts: 5644
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Blighty

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby GeorgeParris'Pet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:38 am

Romford wrote:I thought Cole did well considering...better than Carew


I'm not sure what anyone (including Allardyce) expects of Cole, if the only service he gets is long balls from the back with his back to goal. Particularly when the midfield are so far away and not supporting. Cole did as well as anyone should expect of him given the circumstances.
User avatar
GeorgeParris'Pet
 
Posts: 4970
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:03 pm
Location: The Garden of England

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Romford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 am

Aceface wrote:Can't help thinking that Taylor's absence for the past game and half has had a lot to do with our lack of goalscoring. Despite the reservations certain people have about him, he's been directly or indirectly responsible for a huge proportion of our goals this season. Even when his general play hasn't been sparkling (which you could argue has been every game after Cardiff) we've still been relying heavily on him to spark something for us at the sharp end



Thats the real sad thing...with-out set pieces, we just don't score from open play.

We haven't looked like scoring from a corner for 3 games either...

A very one dimentional plan.
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 29916
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby James P on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:40 am

Hambrosia Stu wrote:It may have something to do with how he is being used,
It must get pretty soul destroying having no support, and the only supply being high balls hoofed in the general direction of his head, that he has to compete for, knowing that even if he wins the ball against 2 central defenders, there is nothing he can conceivably do with it, as he has no one near him, no one making runs past him to flick it on to…


I mentioned this before but never really got an answer. Has the 4-5-1 system changed from when Cole was in his hot streak, to the 4-5-1 on Saturday and some say was used last night?

I'm guessing not, but it looked in earlier games like the 4-5-1 actually allowed our players to get far closer to Cole and provide him with this support. Hence the ability to provide him with chances in and around the area. Recent match threads though have suggested it's the same old story with Cole looking isolated and having long balls knocked up to him.

Can anyone put their finger on what's changed?
User avatar
James P
 
Posts: 10972
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: Romford

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby fmgod on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:43 am

Away from home 4-5-1 works much better as the home team has to attack so it suits us but when teams come to Upton Park they are happy with a draw, pack men behind the ball and 4-5-1 one doesn't work at home. When we play away the other team has to push forward creating more space for us and leave space for Nolan and others to play in whereas at home they may play one upfront or pack the midfield or defence not allowing us space.
Last edited by fmgod on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
fmgod
 
Posts: 8017
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:54 pm

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Romford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:43 am

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:
I'm not sure what anyone (including Allardyce) expects of Cole, if the only service he gets is long balls from the back with his back to goal. Particularly when the midfield are so far away and not supporting. Cole did as well as anyone should expect of him given the circumstances.



Thats a point that many seem to be missing...the midfield are so deep (making Bullards job so easy) that when we do attack Cole has no-one within half a mile of him.

Its a very cowardly way of playing football...especially at home.
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 29916
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Romford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am

James P wrote:
I mentioned this before but never really got an answer. Has the 4-5-1 system changed from when Cole was in his hot streak, to the 4-5-1 on Saturday and some say was used last night?

I'm guessing not, but it looked in earlier games like the 4-5-1 actually allowed our players to get far closer to Cole and provide him with this support. Hence the ability to provide him with chances in and around the area. Recent match threads though have suggested it's the same old story with Cole looking isolated and having long balls knocked up to him.

Can anyone put their finger on what's changed?


Our Midfield drop far deeper now....Noble half the time is treading on Tomkins toes.

There is such a huge space between our midfield and Carlton that the visiting play maker just sits there and dictates the game with ease. It happened v PBoro too.
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 29916
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby GeorgeParris'Pet on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:47 am

Romford wrote:Thats a point that many seem to be missing...the midfield are so deep (making Bullards job so easy) that when we do attack Cole has no-one within half a mile of him.

Its a very cowardly way of playing football...especially at home.


Playing a right winger on the left hand side (one with no pace), and a striker on the right hand side, didn't help the service to Cole either...
User avatar
GeorgeParris'Pet
 
Posts: 4970
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:03 pm
Location: The Garden of England

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby mokum hammer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:50 am

Romford wrote:
There is such a huge space between our midfield and Carlton that the visiting play maker just sits there and dictates the game with ease. It happened v PBoro too.


.& most of last season as well. A few times in the pompey game, Cole won the ball on the flanks in the last 1/3rd, and looking up saw NO-ONE at all running in to receive the ball.
User avatar
mokum hammer
 
Posts: 9408
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:47 pm
Location: Mokum

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Romford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:59 am

GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:
Playing a right winger on the left hand side (one with no pace), and a striker on the right hand side, didn't help the service to Cole either...


I had to laugh when Bullard beat Bentley for pace in the 2nd half....he's had more operations than Evil bloody Knieval
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 29916
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby hadleighhammer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 pm

EvilC wrote:Didn't Bentley on the left do exactly what Bentley on the right normally does (fail to play the simple ball, tart around and bottle challenges) with the added problem not being able to cross on his right foot?


I was getting seriously pissed off with this show boat ****. Prances around like he's something special then fails to deliver anywhere near as much of a cutting edge as his tarting about would lead people to believe.

And Nolan, our Captain, was non-existent. Again.

Bullard was superb. MOTM. Everything could they did went through him, yet we still let him get 20+ yards of space all the time to dictate play. I think a potential England manager would've picked up on that and got the fat lump Nolan to stick on him.
User avatar
hadleighhammer
 
Posts: 8120
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby hadleighhammer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:06 pm

James P wrote:Can anyone put their finger on what's changed?


BFS's footballing philosophy is beginning to sink in?
User avatar
hadleighhammer
 
Posts: 8120
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby paulhs1 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 pm

Romford wrote:Obviously some on here are being very quiet about Bentley...

Show pony who has very few tricks....and no pace (and can't beat an egg)


He was played out of position Romford and had to come inside the whole time, he should have been played wide right, he was wasted on the left last night!
User avatar
paulhs1
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:32 pm
Location: Just north of the Thames

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby hadleighhammer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 pm

Romford wrote:I thought Cole did well considering...better than Carew


GeorgeParris'Pet wrote:I'm not sure what anyone (including Allardyce) expects of Cole, if the only service he gets is long balls from the back with his back to goal. Particularly when the midfield are so far away and not supporting. Cole did as well as anyone should expect of him given the circumstances.


Couldn't believe some of the grief he was getting. "Cole you lazy c*nt" as Nolan just saunters about, "win something in the air you lazy ****" when receiving aimless hoofs and being marked by Sonko of all CBs, "your touch is **** Cole you ****" as a ball Messi would've struggled with as it is fired into his feet by Bentley from 5 yards away. :evil:
User avatar
hadleighhammer
 
Posts: 8120
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:18 pm
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Jigga on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 pm

That was a very poor performance yesterday. BFS needs to drop Noble or Nolan if he wants to carry on with a 4-5-1 formation.

The root cause of the problem lies firmly in the centre of the park our midfield just don't seem to be able to string passes together or create openings.

Personally we need inject more pace in the team so I would bring Faubert back in a.s.a.p. I think we need to get a loanee in on the left wing who can cut in like Ashley Young....have no idea who or what prem players would fit the bill but clearly we lack a threat in the final third. My midfield 5 would be -

Loanee/Taylor------------------------------Nolan-----------------Lansbury/Noble-------------Bentley ------------------------Faubert

IMO opinion Nolan and Bentley should be automatic choices with Lansbury/Noble/Collison fighting it out for the other CM position.
User avatar
Jigga
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:38 pm

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby paulhs1 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:15 pm

James P wrote:I mentioned this before but never really got an answer. Has the 4-5-1 system changed from when Cole was in his hot streak, to the 4-5-1 on Saturday and some say was used last night?

I'm guessing not, but it looked in earlier games like the 4-5-1 actually allowed our players to get far closer to Cole and provide him with this support. Hence the ability to provide him with chances in and around the area. Recent match threads though have suggested it's the same old story with Cole looking isolated and having long balls knocked up to him.

Can anyone put their finger on what's changed?


8 games in and the other temas/managers have sussed us out. Both Posh & Ipswich won the midfield battle and allowed us to hoof the ball up to the lone front man so they can then pick up the second balls. Both those teams have been able to dominate possession away from home, that says something!
Tactically Ferguson and Jewell were much better then allardyce in those games :think:
User avatar
paulhs1
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:32 pm
Location: Just north of the Thames

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Romford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 pm

paulhs1 wrote:
He was played out of position Romford and had to come inside the whole time, he should have been played wide right, he was wasted on the left last night!


It was his lack of pace, his arrogance and lack of being able to beat his man that makes me think that his position is just an excuse.

We have 2 dead ball specialists on each wing....yet neither can run.

Not the best tactics in this league...IMHO obviously
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 29916
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Jigga on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:16 pm

P.s Nolan had an absolute shocker last night....still wouldn't drop him though!!! :lol:
User avatar
Jigga
 
Posts: 1388
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 12:38 pm

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby PrinceH on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm not fond of Sam's postmatch interviews at all.
He tells us time after time that the team should protect the point we've got. Not a single word about how we should attack at home and be a force.
Just this mourning about our defence's blip.
Calling our formation 433 a couple of times too.. does he think that everyone except him is stupid? Or blind?
The approach must change soon, cause you got to show power and strength as a leader in the media as well.
Not only showing energy when you think you will take over from Capello, talking about your own fantastic merits, but also when you talk about the team!

But far more important: You got to sort it out our game plans, Sam. Pretty soon. The midfield!!! Where is it?
User avatar
PrinceH
 
Posts: 1751
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:12 pm

Re: West Ham v Ipswich match thread

Postby Romford on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 pm

Jigga wrote:That was a very poor performance yesterday. BFS needs to drop Noble or Nolan if he wants to carry on with a 4-5-1 formation.

The root cause of the problem lies firmly in the centre of the park our midfield just don't seem to be able to string passes together or create openings.

Personally we need inject more pace in the team so I would bring Faubert back in a.s.a.p. I think we need to get a loanee in on the left wing who can cut in like Ashley Young....have no idea who or what prem players would fit the bill but clearly we lack a threat in the final third. My midfield 5 would be -

Loanee/Taylor------------------------------Nolan-----------------Lansbury/Noble-------------Bentley ------------------------Faubert

IMO opinion Nolan and Bentley should be automatic choices with Lansbury/Noble/Collison fighting it out for the other CM position.


Noble was tired last night...not surprising considering his last 2 MOM performances. Don't see how you can talk about adding pace then playing Bentley.

Nobody has said how much we missed Fauberts energy last night.

Good to see Jack get back on the pitch last night..

I'd go 442 with..

Cole..Baldock

Taylor (ish)....Noble...Collison...Faubert

Ringo (ish)....Tomkins...Reid...Paddy
User avatar
Romford
Big X
 
Posts: 29916
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 2:16 pm
Location: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYyxdmHogLU

PreviousNext

Return to KUMB Match Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest