Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

stubbsy07

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by stubbsy07 »

Matt of iron wrote: We are unbeaten away playing 451 so why change what is clearly successful on the back of one game rather then half a dozen?
He won't change it, so it's pointless debating it really. Yes we have been successful on the road, but we have played: Watford, Doncaster, Millwall, Nottingham Forest and Crystal Palace all of whom, with the exception of Palace are struggling.

I would say our success on the road has been down to the opposition we have played, rather than the formation implemeted.

He will play 4-5-1 but to say we would get badly beat playing a 4-4-2 is, in my opinion, wrong. We are more than good enough and we proved that Saturday.

Yes we were **** playing 4-4-2 for the first 20 minutes v Ipswich but we were also **** playing 4-5-1 for the remainder 70 minutes.
Last edited by stubbsy07 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

stubbsy07 wrote:
He won't change it, so it's pointless debating it really. Yes we have been successful on the road, but we have played: Watford, Doncaster, Millwall, Nottingham Forest and Crystal Palace all of whom, with the exception of Palace are struggling.

I would say our success on the road has been down to the opposition we have played, rather than the formation implemeted.

He will play 4-5-1 but to say we would get badly beat playing a 4-4-2 is, in my opinion, wrong. We are more than good enough.
Disagree but hey ho. :thup:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Matt of iron wrote: One game we have played 442!
i know, i know, let's say I like it more than 451 and i think we'd play better.
Matt of iron wrote:We played it for 30 mins against Ipswich and we were s***e.
correct, then we switched to 451 and were stil **** tho! :lol:
Matt of iron wrote:We are unbeaten away playing 451 so why change what is clearly successful on the back of one game rather then half a dozen?
'cos i'd have played 442 in those games as well XD

but anyway, is the argument "we are unbeaten away with that formation" that strong?
apart from palace, the other teams we went to are in the bottom five...

EDIT: damn, i really am a slow writer! XD
Chester Hammer

Post by Chester Hammer »

We should be able to play 4-4-2 against any team at any game, this is a highly competitive league but we should have no fear against any side undefeated at home or otherwise, caution to the wind I say we are here to top this league! COYI
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Enjoyed the win Saturday and the style of the win....but....Sam has already said that his statistical analysis of the Saints shows that most of their attacking options for Lambert and Lalana develop from their 3 man midfield . A failure to take cognisance of this would be reckless and pays little respect to a team currently unbeaten on their patch. He realises that the game may well be won or lost in the midfield and we will need to match them in this area, this somewhat dictates therefore the formation if not the personnel.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

mattcox10 wrote: This is a 4-5-1 game all day long. Win the midfield win the game.
100%, & make the most of our Set Pieces too.. :thup:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Having the ability to change is what champions are made of.
hammer2192

Post by hammer2192 »

Hey guys, I was just wondering which pub most hammers fans will be attending, I'm a student here in Southampton and ive got a ticket for the game, my local is the Royal Oak which is a 5 min walk from the stadium, very nice pub, cheap spirits but beers a bit too expensive for my liking and i cant see there being many hammers fans there, there's a few wetherspoons in the area but which pub did the match program reccomend and where will most of us be heading to before the game?
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

cockney farmer wrote: attacking options for Lambert and Lalana develop from their 3 man midfield .
I seriously question wether southampton play a 3 man midfield. They seem to be flexible in their formation, as I've said , when I watched them this season it was more of a 4-1-3-2. Jack Cork(who by all accounts is having a great season , never understand why we didn't go all out for him) holding with 5 players attacking. They seem to be able to change the formation according to who they play as well as having the fluidity to change during games.

David Connollly is playing very well up front with Lambert who is a real threat in the box. They've got some big lads at the back so should be able to deal with any direct balls that come there way.

Personally I would like to see Carew and Baldock given the opportunity to develop a partnership and fire the goals that will see us promoted.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

If Sam is saying about having to change formation to stop Southampton, why is Adkins not talking about changing formation to stop us?

What I mean is we shouldn't have to change to stop another team, let them worry about us.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Still looking for a spare, willing to sit next to Brownfatwa if necessary 8-)
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Hope we can do these lot tomorrow night, they have an unbeaten home run of 15/16 something like that havn't they, how nice would that be to stop that dead in it's tracks and go top? COYI! :crest:
Bobby Orangeboom

Hammer Matty wrote:If Sam is saying about having to change formation to stop Southampton, why is Adkins not talking about changing formation to stop us?

What I mean is we shouldn't have to change to stop another team, let them worry about us.
They've won every home game this season & we haven't lost away whilst playing our 4-5-1 so rather than use a formation that we just won a home game with, i'm glad that we'll use that formation that we have played so very well away from home.. :thup:

Even if we lose it would have been the right thing to do.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
They've won every home game this season & we haven't lost away whilst playing our 4-5-1 so rather than use a formation that we just won a home game with, i'm glad that we'll use that formation that we have played so very well away from home.. :thup:

Even if we lose it would have been the right thing to do.
I can see where your coming from.. but I just hope Sam isn't going to use the same mentality all season where we adjust to other teams instead of them having to worry about us
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Hammer Matty wrote:
I can see where your coming from.. but I just hope Sam isn't going to use the same mentality all season where we adjust to other teams instead of them having to worry about us
Surely the right thing to do is adjust, if they have 2 extremely slow centre backs, play Baldock, if they have relatively small ones, definitely play Carew, if they play a 3 man centre midfield, play Diop to avoid getting overrun, no matter how good our team is, and at whatever level we play, we should still adjust to whoever we're playing. That was a long sentence...
Bobby Orangeboom

Hammer Matty wrote: I can see where your coming from.. but I just hope Sam isn't going to use the same mentality all season where we adjust to other teams instead of them having to worry about us
But that's how we'll get promoted Mate, by seeing the oppositions weaknesses & hopefully punishing them for it, like we did with Blackpool on Saturday & have done to a few others this Season.. :thup:

If we JUST played 4-4-2 or JUST played 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 ( bwah ) then we'd get figured out pretty easily by other Mangers that WERE willing to adapt their Teams to what they think OUR weaknesses are & even though we're a decent Championship that will probably get promoted, we're well beatable by a side that do their homework on us...
ricko

Post by ricko »

Not sure if O'Brien or Demel are fit? If not then push Faubert back and put Jack on the wing.

COYI!!!
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Sitting with the Saints for this one :x

Gonna be good
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:we're well beatable by a side that do their homework on us...
So is every team. We just happen to have better players than most teams in this division so would get away with it more often than not. If it was me, I would play 4-4-2 tomorrow. Is he wrong to play 4-5-1? Not really.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

stubbsy07 wrote:

So is every team. We just happen to have better players than most teams in this division so would get away with it more often than not. If it was me, I would play 4-4-2 tomorrow. Is he wrong to play 4-5-1? Not really.
I agree, although I could be wrong, but from,reading between the lines, my guess is BFS will set out to stifle and contain Southampton and aim to strangle them in midfield with a 4-5-1 formation and plan to nick all 3 points with a break away goal, possibly even a set piece goal and then hold out for the win. If successful, I think he will deploy the same tactcis and formation at Brighton too