Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by hammer1975 »

so general agreement that lansbury had another good game

that's four on the trott with comments like 'bottling challenges', 'showboating' and 'giving the ball away'. the lad may have talent but seems to have walked back in to a winning side unjustifiably in my view

as sam is talking about using the loan market with bentley injured seriously hope it's for a pacey wide player to play when taylor is out

we're crying out for an etherington-esque wide player to take the ball quickly up the pitch and excite the fans imo
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

You just described Cristian Montano...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hammer1975 wrote:so general agreement that lansbury had another good game

that's four on the trott with comments like 'bottling challenges', 'showboating' and 'giving the ball away'. the lad may have talent but seems to have walked back in to a winning side unjustifiably in my view

as sam is talking about using the loan market with bentley injured seriously hope it's for a pacey wide player to play when taylor is out

we're crying out for an etherington-esque wide player to take the ball quickly up the pitch and excite the fans imo
You mean Etherington...one of the most slagged off players of recent times ?

Lansbury...called that early doors too.

Anyone still saying he hasn't been promised a place ??
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

So do people think that Southampton are a good team ??

I didn't see it personally...

Leeds and Ipswich were better.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Has anyone already picked up on The Sun's match report today? When comparing our STYLE OF PLAY with Southamptons, they wrote:

"Hammers maybe play too much football for their own good when sometimes a more direct approach would suffice"

:lol:
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Apart from his introduction to the pitch, I don't remember Piquionne's name mentioned on the radio.
Will someone tell us what he actually did in the game? Thank you.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Rocketron wrote:Apart from his introduction to the pitch, I don't remember Piquionne's name mentioned on the radio.
Will someone tell us what he actually did in the game? Thank you.
He jogged effortlessly here and there and looked like he would rather be elsewhere on a fairly cold Tuesday night :lol:

I dont think he genuinely knew his role though to be honest, but he didnt exactly put himself about.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

When you think that the year Newcastle went down, they went thorughout the entire campaign unbeaten, wiping the floor with teams such as this, week in, week out and that with a team of players, no better than what we have, so why aren't we beating teams such as this ? What concerns me is that we have dropped too many points to the likes of Millwall, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Ipswich and now a team who were two divisions below us last season. That is not good and we won't get out of this league with results like those, no matter what excuses are offered ?
tonbridge iron

Post by tonbridge iron »

When newcastle went down,they managed to keep their team pretty much together for their season in the championship...we didnt
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Puff Daddy wrote:When you think that the year Newcastle went down, they went thorughout the entire campaign unbeaten
No they didn't. They lost 4 games.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Puff Daddy wrote:When you think that the year Newcastle went down, they went thorughout the entire campaign unbeaten, wiping the floor with teams such as this, week in, week out and that with a team of players, no better than what we have, so why aren't we beating teams such as this ? What concerns me is that we have dropped too many points to the likes of Millwall, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Ipswich and now a team who were two divisions below us last season. That is not good and we won't get out of this league with results like those, no matter what excuses are offered ?
:lol:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Romford wrote:So do people think that Southampton are a good team ??

I didn't go to the game so can't comment on their performance last night. 15 home wins in a row would suggest they are pretty ****ing decent though :lol:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

tonbridge iron wrote:When newcastle went down,they managed to keep their team pretty much together for their season in the championship...we didnt
No we didn't, we strengthened
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Also, that year & that Newcastle team failed to see off the likes of Bristol City & Derby at home & away... Their form wasn't "runaway" until after Christmas.

We're 2nd in the league & we've lost away from home ONCE all season, everyone in this league this year has already dropped tons of points against everyone else.

Personally, I reckon the performances & style of football SHOULD worry people, but the position & results themselves should not.
tonbridge iron

Post by tonbridge iron »

Yea Why Not wrote: No we didn't, we strengthened
That is your opinion............but the point is,that they stayed as a unit...having seasons to gel already
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:So do people think that Southampton are a good team ??

Leeds and Ipswich were better.
Funny, we were chatting with a couple of Saints fans before the game and I said I thought Ipswich were the best footballing side we have played this year , and that they would be there or there abouts .

And, as I posted last night Romford, I didn't think Southampton were that good , as for Lansbury , well we now have Noble and Collison behind him in the pecking order it would seem . :think:

He has more energy than Noble, but I really can't see too much in the way of creativity .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Yea Why Not wrote:
I didn't go to the game so can't comment on their performance last night. 15 home wins in a row would suggest they are pretty f***ing decent though :lol:
I think our keeper touched the ball half a dozen times...

Palace are fourth...and they had 2 shots on target against us at their place !?

This league is poor....IMHO of course
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
Funny, we were chatting with a couple of Saints fans before the game and I said I thought Ipswich were the best footballing side we have played this year , and that they would be there or there abouts .

And, as I posted last night Romford, I didn't think Southampton were that good , as for Lansbury , well we now have Noble and Collison behind him in the pecking order it would seem . :think:

He has more energy than Noble, but I really can't see too much in the way of creativity .
The Saints think they have a good side...thats why i asked the question. I thought that was our 2nd worst display of the season...and they were hanging on.

As for Lansbury...both him and Nolan being on the teamsheet before anything leaves the rest of the side doing a lot more and of course the side disjointed.

Noble at least tried to pass the ball to the player..
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Anyone else think this picture looks bloody nasty :lol:

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2941 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote:The Saints think they have a good side...thats why i asked the question. I thought that was our 2nd worst display of the season...and they were hanging on.

As for Lansbury...both him and Nolan being on the teamsheet before anything leaves the rest of the side doing a lot more and of course the side disjointed.

Noble at least tried to pass the ball to the player..
Can't argue with too much of that .I'm not sure they were hanging on , but we could have won it - and we were double crap .

Nine of the starters were BFS signings - only Faubert was another Managers judgement, and Reid of course is one of Sullivans .In fairness Tomkins is injured , but Noble and Collison were both available to start .