Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

the pink palermo wrote: We lack a midfield tickover player .Take the ball , move it on, take it back, move it on, take it back, move it on..........retaining possession , strangling the opposition by not giving them the ball .
yep
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

We lack a midfield tickover player .Take the ball , move it on, take it back, move it on, take it back, move it on..........retaining possession , strangling the opposition by not giving them the ball .
This is what I'd like to see a bit more of instead of the lumps over the top totally bypassing the midfield. I know we are no Barcelona or Arsenal but if we have the ball the other team can't score it's that simple, get possession, keep possession, create chances with the possession then when we lose it work like f*** to get it back as quickly as possible.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

GreenIron wrote: Coming away last night, I thought first and second now will be first and second at the end of the season.

Aint got a problem with that, promotion is promotion and if it means avoiding play offs then that is fine by me.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

As a side note, I'm wondering how many in last night's club record crowd were also part of W Hams record home attendance vs Spurs in the 70's? Can't just have been me.
Liamj

Post by Liamj »

RyanWHUFC wrote:[quote This is what I'd like to see a bit more of instead of the lumps over the top totally bypassing the midfield. I know we are no Barcelona or Arsenal but if we have the ball the other team can't score it's that simple, get possession, keep possession, create chances with the possession then when we lose it work like f*** to get it back as quickly as possible.
Agree with you 100% Ryan, unfortunately whenever we've done this over the last couple of seasons, usually get the twat behind me shouting "stop ****ing about and kick it forward"
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

Listened on the radio and it sounded that by in large we were fairly solid and could have nicked a point at the end as Southampton fell a bit deep.

To be honest I'm amazed we're second after 12 games. I thought we'd struggle to win games early on hover in 8th or 9th and wouldn't pick up until December.

This team is still very much on the learning curve.
I agree the lack of creativity is a little concerning, but it was imperative we learnt how to defend and play as a team again.
The fact we look defensively sound & have shown we have goals in us bodes well for the rest of season.

If at the minute we set up to play to our strengths and use our physicality then fine. The football will come eventually.
We still have players who can pass the ball, Noble, Collison, Landsbury and once we get Faubert, Taylor and the full backs getting down the line we've got players who can cross it as well.

Believe in Sam, we'll get there.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

My biggest issue, as has been so far this season, is the willingness to actually get the ball down and play football. Southampton deserved to win last night in my book as they attempted to pass the ball and were far more creative.

There are players in our team that are untouchable. Last night, captain marvel ran 60 yards to have a dig at their number 10, wished he had showed the same application when chasing the ball. Lansbury is a passenger. Sears has one bad game and is dropped, the inconsistencies in team selection are grating a bit now.

The tactics come from Sam, for which I am growing increasingly frustrated with. The subsituations last night were appaulling and to the detriment of the team.

With the players we have and changes hes made we should be playing something better than hoofball. Everything about the club at the moment is short sighted. BFS on a 2yr contract, loannees over home grown talent, selling your home to move in rented accomdation.

Yes were second but it doesnt feel like it. Am I getting any pleasure form what I'm seeing? not at all. BFS can lament missed chances but he should shoulder the majority of the blame for last nights lost. It simply aint football, appreciate saturdays result was good and the performance better but to go from one extreme to the other is a concern ..... and Blackpool were ****ing terrible.
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

The way they (southampton) controlled the ball at times, passing and moving, looking for the ball, was fantastic.

It's the way I believe we could play with Henri, Collisson and Noble on the pitch. It's too tempting to smash the ball up to Carew/Cole and hope for Baldock/Nolan to pick up the pieces.

On the day, beaten by the better team. Having said that, we hit the post & if Nolan had looped it over their 'keeper, we could be sitting here with a point gained. Onwards and upwards, gotta get at least a point at Brighton on Monday.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

We were on merit bottom of the league..

Lost a top,top midfielder,a German international midfielder,two central defenders,an International Left back and an International striker... probably £30m worth of players?

Couldnt have left much could it?

So they had to be replaced just to get back to square one..which was BOTTOM OF THE LEAGUE!!

Hell of a job.

We all supported Sam's signings...Diop has come good

Nolan still has to impress, but WE WOULD ALL HAVE BOUGHT HIM.

Someone said early on, stay in touch till January,then finalise the squad for a second half push. That makes total sense to me.And we are on course.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Sherriff telling it like it is , or as a minimum how it looks like it is . :thup:

However, we are still second so all is not lost , but for those questionning the travelling support in terms of atmosphere - well, we know what we are watching .Most are polite enough not to boo , but ain't daft enough to cheer when the football is no good .
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

I'd also say that nearly every opposition manager after playing us has said they think we'll go up either 1st or 2nd.
The fact we've still got so much more improvement to make but are still up there is testament to the job Sam's done thus far.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

the pink palermo wrote: We lack a midfield tickover player .Take the ball , move it on, take it back, move it on, take it back, move it on..........retaining possession , strangling the opposition by not giving them the ball .
It isn't a simple as that though pinky, we could have iniesta but if we have poor movement and technical ability elsewhere who is he going to pass it to to tick things over. Take the ball, move it to nolan/faubert/diop et al, get a hospital ball back, lose the 40/60 challenge.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Put it down to a bad day at the office. We had enough chances to get at least a point, but it weren't pretty. When did Kelvin Davies become a top-drawer keeper, several good saves but Nolan should have scored with his 1 on 1 early 2nd half.

"Were coming for you, we're coming for you..." wtf was that all about, considering they were nowhere to be seen after the game. :eh:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Sweeney Bod wrote: I have an image of someone dragging in a random stranger off the street
the pink palermo wrote:That was HD1, who had just popped out for some milk .
Actually I was sneaking out to get a Balti pie :lol:
stormbringer

Post by stormbringer »

I'm not sure where " we've got the best squad in the championship" comes from .
I've been to all the games and could pick a better squad from the teams we have played.
Who and why are our players the best.?
BFS is playing Baldock wide ? Fabert and McCartney where crossing the ball as soon as they got into Saints half even when there was no one to challenge them,it was nothing to do with the players not knowing each other ,it was very poor tactics.
I would play 3-5-2 with
Keeper

Tomkins Faye Reid

Faubert /Obrien Collison Noble/Diop Noland /Lansbury Taylor/McCartney

Baldock /Sears Cole/Carew

Yoy could use the wingbacks Faubert/ Taylor for a more attacking option and get them down to the byline where both can cross a great ball.
Its got to change ,we scraped passed Doncaster who can hardly win,Watford and Forest where both in very poor form when we played them ,we've let in tomany last gasp goals at home and don't seem to play with any system.
And why o why don't we leave to forwards up when the oposistion have a corner,they would have to leave 3 back to cover and we could stop asking Baldock to mark players that tower over him.

100 pts I don't think so 90 max would be my guess.
If Southampton win next week and we lose at Brighton we would need to win 3 while they loss 3 just to get pass them and with all the teams so close behind us its vital we keep collecting points .
Last edited by stormbringer on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Sauce! wrote:Put it down to a bad day at the office. We had enough chances to get at least a point, but it weren't pretty. When did Kelvin Davies become a top-drawer keeper, several good saves but Nolan should have scored with his 1 on 1 early 2nd half.

"Were coming for you, we're coming for you..." wtf was that all about, considering they were nowhere to be seen after the game. :eh:

Think they were referring to their game V Pompey, however from what I saw last night the big ****er with the bell would scatter em on his tod.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

last.caress wrote:They thoroughly deserve to be where they are right now, and ****ing good luck to them. But I don't believe that it will last. I hope they go up with us (don't care in what order that is, as long as we're in the top two), but I don't think they will. And I still believe that we WILL finish top two, and probably as champions.
Sums up my view on them too.

I think they will make the play-offs but I suspect their squad is not strong enough to maintain the level of performance they have right now when they get a few injuries
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

the pink palermo wrote:However, we are still second so all is not lost , but for those questionning the travelling support in terms of atmosphere - well, we know what we are watching .Most are polite enough not to boo , but ain't daft enough to cheer when the football is no good .
Thing is Pinky the humour if nothing else shines through when we are not playing to Brazilian standards. Last night they sang "you've only got one song" at us and they weren't far wrong
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Well i thought both teams were cack...and it was a poor game for a top of the table clash.

The only way Southampton were going to score was with the tall fella dropping on either Faubert or Linda...and we weren't going to score with Baldock out on the right wing.

Without goals from set pieces (which we don't look like getting anymore)...we simply don't look like scoring in open play.

Some very odd subs...and odd positions.

BFS got it very wrong IMHO.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hammerdivone wrote:Thing is Pinky the humour if nothing else shines through when we are not playing to Brazilian standards. Last night they sang "you've only got one song" at us and they weren't far wrong
Not so sure .I think we were a touch apprenhensive that's all .I thought that when their stadium announcer made his schoolboy error- and if I was the Saints Manager I'd have him doing laps for a month - we latched onto it quickly with the "here for the West Ham" bit .

Why would any announcer ever give visitors credit like that ? Our Jeremy wouldn't do that would he ?