Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by chalks »

shammy wrote:Im sorry, am I missing something? We just beat Blackpool 4 zip so why would we change the team?
Because we are unbeaten away with 433/451..........

Southampton have played 5 home games, all against teams that went 'toe to toe' tactically, and played them all off the park. If we soak up the early pressure with Sam's favoured formation, I can see us winning comfortably.

If we go 442, I can see us getting beaten, comfortably.
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

shammy wrote:Im sorry, am I missing something? We just beat Blackpool 4 zip so why would we change the team?
I agree with you BUT,

This is Sam Allardyce here....I don't put him down as Mr adventure!

He will see a point as a good result away to them and aim to beat them at our place, although IMO we should be aiming to win every game in this league. If they do play 3 in the middle like Allardyce thinks they will hopefully we can run the middle of the park with our 5 on their 3.
tjr008
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by tjr008 »

Away from home, back to 4-5-1... big game for us.

If it's not going our way, Baldock can come in for Noble/ Nolan and we can switch to 4-4-2 easily.

Some say you don't change a winning side, and for the most part I would agree, but you need to pick the right side for the right game in some instances, too. This would be one of those.
mattcox10

Post by mattcox10 »

chalks wrote: Because we are unbeaten away with 433/451..........

Southampton have played 5 home games, all against teams that went 'toe to toe' tactically, and played them all off the park. If we soak up the early pressure with Sam's favoured formation, I can see us winning comfortably.

If we go 442, I can see us getting beaten, comfortably.
Agreed on both counts. Luckily I think we have a manager who will stick to his guns and not be led by the fans, particularly after doing that for Ipswich and seeing what happened there.
This is a 4-5-1 game all day long. Win the midfield win the game.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

With two tough away games in a week you would take two draws as good results, but from a points position a win and a defeat is better. I think Sam would take a draw tomorrow as a good result (it is) and go for the win against Brightom who may be looking for a win more and may be more vunerable.

Like some others I think if we are too gung-ho tomorrow we could come unstuck against a team flying at home, Trying to frustrate the life out of them may not be very pretty but could be very rewarding in the end. I genuinely can't predict tomorrows game until I know what side we are putting out. 4-4-2 and it might be a high scoring draw or defeat, 4-5-1 and I see a dour draw or a 1-0 win - but I will be more than satisfied with the result.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Quick heads up lads. The weather forecast has taken a severe turn for the worse, now saying freezing conditions with driving rain. Worse still SW trains are threatening a strike effective 8pm tomorrow and the Southampton OB have issued a 'baton on sight' to any invaders from London and are closing all pubs within 35 miles from 2pm.

P.S am still looking for a spare for this one if there's one out there,
Pokie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pokie »

an oppurtunity to sing a song we very rarely get to sing

"we'll be top by ten o clock"
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

BrownFatwa wrote:Quick heads up lads. The weather forecast has taken a severe turn for the worse, now saying freezing conditions with driving rain. Worse still SW trains are threatening a strike effective 8pm tomorrow and the Southampton OB have issued a 'baton on sight' to any invaders from London and are closing all pubs within 35 miles from 2pm.

P.S am still looking for a spare for this one if there's one out there,
:lol:

The most desperate attempt I have ever seen to shake a ticket - genius .

You missed out the bit about lots of car break ins, nowhere to park , and roadworks all the way down the M3 .
flaresnslippers
Total likes: 1 like

Post by flaresnslippers »

hammersam wrote:
Taylor didnt look injured to me against B'pool?
Yeah, when Tomkins come off, Taylor signalled to the bench to take him off as well
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Match preview from BBC....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15252311.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HamburgHammer
Location: Too far away from Upton Park, Hamburg, Germany, to be precise
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by HamburgHammer »

Unfortunately Big Sam will most likely revert to 4-5-1 for this one. I'd really like to see Carew and Baldock starting the game and see how many problems they will cause their defenders. I know it's risky and we may concede a goal or two, but I reckon with Carew and Baldock we'd stand a more than decnt chance to score one more than the opposition.
It's worked tremendously well against Blackpool who are not a bad team either - so why not keep playing Carew and Baldock together so they can even improve their understanding on the pitch and cause some more havoc.
I'd be more than happy if we won this 4-3 rather than going for the so called safe option with 4-5-1 and, let's face it, we might still lose 1:0 playing that system.
Playing Carew and Baldock at least gives us a good chance to score a few at Southampton and see if that's enough to beat them or get a draw, playing only Cole or Carew as a lone striker doesn't fill me with confidence...
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

HamburgHammer wrote:Unfortunately Big Sam will most likely revert to 4-5-1 for this one. I'd really like to see Carew and Baldock starting the game and see how many problems they will cause their defenders. I know it's risky and we may concede a goal or two, but I reckon with Carew and Baldock we'd stand a more than decnt chance to score one more than the opposition.
It's worked tremendously well against Blackpool who are not a bad team either - so why not keep playing Carew and Baldock together so they can even improve their understanding on the pitch and cause some more havoc.
I'd be more than happy if we won this 4-3 rather than going for the so called safe option with 4-5-1 and, let's face it, we might still lose 1:0 playing that system.
Playing Carew and Baldock at least gives us a good chance to score a few at Southampton and see if that's enough to beat them or get a draw, playing only Cole or Carew as a lone striker doesn't fill me with confidence...
If we play 442 against Southampton at there ground where they have mullered everyone we will get beaten badly.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Matt of iron wrote: If we play 442 against Southampton at there ground where they have mullered everyone we will get beaten badly.
Who actually knows that? We have better players than them on paper and we could go to St Marys and get a result playing 4-4-2 in my opinion. All irrelevant though as it will be 4-5-1 anyway, but if I was in charge I would stick with 4-4-2. But there is probably a reason why BFS is earning £50,000 a week and I'm not :lol:
Chester Hammer

Post by Chester Hammer »

If we play 442 against Southampton at there ground where they have mullered everyone we will get beaten badly.[/quote]

Why will we??? we have the best team in the league and should surely be able to turn up to any ground against any team (even one doing aswell as Southampton at the minute) and take it to them, West Ham have always been the exception to any rule
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

stubbsy07 wrote:
Who actually knows that? We have better players than them on paper and we could go to St Marys and get a result playing 4-4-2 in my opinion. All irrelevant though as it will be 4-5-1 anyway, but if I was in charge I would stick with 4-4-2. But there is probably a reason why BFS is earning £50,000 a week and I'm not :
Shame football isn't played on paper! :wink:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

HamburgHammer wrote: I'd be more than happy if we won this 4-3 rather than going for the so called safe option with 4-5-1 .
So would I, but I'd rather we won 1-0 than lost 4-3 going for the so called exciting option. :?
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Matt of iron wrote: Shame football isn't played on paper! :wink:
Indeed. If it was we wouldn't lose a game...

But we are good enough to go to Southampton, play 4-4-2 and win... no doubt about that in my opinion.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Matt of iron wrote:
If we play 442 against Southampton at there ground where they have mullered everyone we will get beaten badly.

crystal ball??

I mean, they're doing great, but is not like they're barça, isn't it?
by some comments here looks like they're miles away from everyone and we should fear them like manure...

I think we play a better football with 442, so we should stick to it.
i'd like a cocky attitude like "we don't care if you won all your home matches, we'll come to your ground, play our football, and kick your ass!!".
yes it can go wrong at times, but when it goes well makes you feel soooo good!
Chester Hammer

Post by Chester Hammer »

Indeed. If it was we wouldn't lose a game...

But we are good enough to go to Southampton, play 4-4-2 and win... no doubt about that in my opinion.[/quote]

:thup:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

warp wrote:
crystal ball??

I mean, they're doing great, but is not like they're barça, isn't it?
by some comments here looks like they're miles away from everyone and we should fear them like manure...

I think we play a better football with 442, so we should stick to it.
i'd like a cocky attitude like "we don't care if you won all your home matches, we'll come to your ground, play our football, and kick your ass!!".
yes it can go wrong at times, but when it goes well makes you feel soooo good!
One game we have played 442!

We played it for 30 mins against Ipswich and we were *****.

We are unbeaten away playing 451 so why change what is clearly successful on the back of one game rather then half a dozen?