Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by libero »

Everyone's over the moon from Saturday to Tuesday because we won 4-0, now it's all doom and gloom because we lost last night.

Feet on the ground please, gentlemen. We've still got the same players and manager as we had on Sunday! It's a complicated Championship this year, 46 matches, we'll lose some, win more and, in my opinion, we have a good enough squad, a good enough manager to go up. Might be second to Southampton or not, but the important thing is that we get the points we need over the next few months

We could even have won or drawn last night's game, even though we didn't play all that well and losing as we did, while extremely disappointing and annoying, is not the end of the world :think:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Not our best game, not sure overall if we deserved to win, you have to admit that Saints have done a good job when you think how they really dropped down, good to see such a good attendance.

I also think that Baldock has to be used more in the centre of the field.

No need to press the panic button, second is still good but yes we need to remember that three points less and we would be in eleventh position! Brighton first of many matches we have to win.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

It was horrible having to watch long ball after long ball.

The worst thing was we looked best when we kept the ball on the floor and tried to pass our way through, and we only did it a couple of times.

Although it was typical West Ham fashion to not stamp our authority and go top.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Haven't just got back only had the radio on but our support came through louder than theirs so can't understand the negative view of our travelling fans, and couldn't he have shuffled it and stayed 442 after Taylors injury ? I'm finding this negative one up top not very entertaining ,which is only slightly outweighed by being happy with 2nd at this stage of the season.
west ham15
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

k-r-c wrote:It was horrible having to watch long ball after long ball.

The worst thing was we looked best when we kept the ball on the floor and tried to pass our way through, and we only did it a couple of times.

Although it was typical West Ham fashion to not stamp our authority and go top.
Prity sure George McCartney was told before the game every time you get the ball smash it up field
terrapinstation

Post by terrapinstation »

Just got back, stayed at a mate's in London last night. A bit disappointed with our atmosphere, fair play to Saints for creating somewhat of a racket over near our allocation. I imagine Upton Park would be much noisier if it was designed like St. Mary's.

As for the game, Headbanger . We had a few near chances (Nolan shot, Baldock shot, Noble free kick, deflection off post) but those flatter us IMO. Our build-up play was nonexistent- never seen more hoofball under Big Sam at WHU. Our players looked frantic and panicked at times-- poor communication in multiple instances, including between Almunia and the CBs and times when two of ours would go after the same ball and lose possession. Other examples included Diop taking a hopeless volley from the top of the box after it had been knocked out, rather than settling and trying to string a couple of passes together while we had them on their heels. Very unimpressed with Nolan again.. sure that's been mentioned a few times already. Towards the end of the game they cleared it out and rather than giving it a touch and playing a simple pass, he volleyed it out of bounds. Very little composure on our end. Lansbury also surprisingly quiet.. Thought Noble had the right idea when he came on.

Man, does this team look different without Matty Taylor playing. No pace, no width. It was clear he didn't look up for it last night, but Piq was an awful sub. He and Baldock seemed to be confused as to exactly where they were supposed to be, but I think that was mostly caused by FP's laziness and Little Sam trying to compensate.

Enough about this. It was hard enough listening to that "top of the league" garbage and seeing southampton fans behind the OB kissing the badges on their shirts.

Have fun in Brighton lads, let's make some noise
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

I thought Chaplow for them looked effective and seemed to have a lot of room to work in but that was largely due to the way we set up, rather than going man for man in the middle Bouba Diop was disciplined in holding his position of protecting the back 4 , Chaplow peeled off him into the middle and benfitted from the space as Diop (quite rightly for his role did not track him).

I understand that we might need to use the strnght and aerial prowess of Carew at times but if that is the case we need to work more on getting in and around him to profit from the kncok downs and flick ons, when Taylor went off Baldock was forced off postion and therfore this blunted, to a degree, the threat that Carew posed.

Baldocks run and strike looked in from where we were and also Nolans strike for the top corner in the first half was a decent effort.

Dont know what the OB were doing behind us at Half Time (near divide to saints fans, in front of cameraman) much ado etc

Though the park and ride was relatively trouble free and pretty good to get away afterwards.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by Major »

Cant really comment on the game, but i had a great night!!

Only just got home and only saw the 2nd half due to the beer in the Red Lion being great and my mate being to pissed to drive!! (****ing idiot)

We had to get a cab after walking for what seemed like miles, walked in on about 55 minutes watched the game "ish" then went back on the piss.

Stayed in a lovley B&B (not) the bosuns locker, spose it was better than the street, just!!!

Anyway who scored their goal??? :lol:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

you don't have to be that fast to move without the ball, and that makes the difference.
apart from baldock, who moves into space (and usually gets ignored), the players are still and just wait for the ball.
you can change that, just need to teach football...

about the atmosphere at away games: is it possible that higher expectations are affecting it a bit?
last years we knew we'd probably lose and were prepared, we expected things to go wrong and accepted that.
maybe now people just want to win, and gets too disappointed if we don't.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Is there any highlights on the net?
Major
%&!$

Post by Major »

warp wrote:you don't have to be that fast to move without the ball, and that makes the difference.
apart from baldock, who moves into space (and usually gets ignored), the players are still and just wait for the ball.
you can change that, just need to teach football...

about the atmosphere at away games: is it possible that higher expectations are affecting it a bit?
last years we knew we'd probably lose and were prepared, we expected things to go wrong and accepted that.
maybe now people just want to win, and gets too disappointed if we don't.

I dont think so i think its just a Tuesday night syndrome, people either had a ball ache getting there after work or got there early like me and were to pissed to stand up!!!
ricko

Post by ricko »

I think we need to look at the bigger picture rather than each individual game.

After the Blackpool game, all our fans were buzzing with positivity.

After the Southampton game its all doom and gloom and despair.

We need to stop getting so carried away with our emotions after each and every result. Of course be pleased with a win and be frustrated with a defeat but don't dwell on every scoreline for too long.

We could have easily drawn that game last night with one of our late chances and then I suspect the whole mood would have been upbeat and full of hope.

We have a bit of catching up to do now to get back to our 2 points a game average - 3 back to back wins needed in fact. But it can be done.

When you consider the mess we were in last season, things are looking Ok when you look at things as a whole. We are second in the league and the team is still gelling. Southamptons 5 point lead is tiny when you consider there are still over 100 points to play for.

A win against Brighton will give us back the feel good factor and I am still convinced that over the course of the season we will be in the top 2 come the end.

COYI!!!
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

I8CHAVS wrote:People saying no cover for Taylor but what about Montano? Oh yeah we are just brassing him about.

I knew it wouldnt be long before the grumblings started against Allardyce as he will only get away with it for so long and people would start moaning.

For me its not all about winning.
I disagree about Montano, it will help him if he plays at Swindon instead of getting a few minutes here and there for us

Other than that I agree, especially about the winning.. a lot of people are saying we played a lot of long ball, I wasn't there so I don't know how bad it was but if we lost to the better team trying to play football I wouldn't be too upset
Bryant4114
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bryant4114 »

libero wrote:Everyone's over the moon from Saturday to Tuesday because we won 4-0, now it's all doom and gloom because we lost last night.

Feet on the ground please, gentlemen. We've still got the same players and manager as we had on Sunday! It's a complicated Championship this year, 46 matches, we'll lose some, win more and, in my opinion, we have a good enough squad, a good enough manager to go up. Might be second to Southampton or not, but the important thing is that we get the points we need over the next few months

We could even have won or drawn last night's game, even though we didn't play all that well and losing as we did, while extremely disappointing and annoying, is not the end of the world :think:
Yeah we've got the same manager who has managed to get about 2 good games out of the team all season. Who exactly have we outplayed this season other than Blackpool? Watford? And maybe Cardiff... We've only got enough points because everyone around us is so ****.

We get routinely outplayed as we insist on playing a ridiculous brand of long ball football that has no ****ing benefit whatsoever. The palace game was almost worse than the Aldershot game, and the most frustrating thing is that when we actually try to play football, we're ****ing brilliant! The times against Palace we actually tried, we played them off the park, yet it was quickly stopped and we returned to hoofing it and giving away possession.

Every single manager calls us a long ball team, which we are, and BFS gets in a huff and maintains we play a 4-3-3.

I wouldn't mind, but we play ****ing appalling football, and get outclassed every game.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

ricko wrote:After the Southampton game its all doom and gloom and despair.
Not to me it isn't. We played the hardest fixture in the league last night and by the sounds of things we were unlucky not to nick a point in the second half. It seems little Sam didn't have his shooting boots on

A £50 bet on West Ham to win last night would of returned over £150. Taking our away form into consideration that shows just how good Southampton are at home. 15 home wins in a row is some ****ing achievement

It's all still looking rosy from where im sitting
GreenIron
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by GreenIron »

I was really disappointed with that performance last night. There were moments but for the most part Southampton played good football, WHU played hoofball.

I'm going to start from the assumption that Big Sam knows a lot more than I do about football in general and our players in particular, so that makes it EVEN MORE incomprehensible how he can make those substitutions. Piquionne, FFS?!

And then there was the bizarre sight of Baldock playing at RB while Joey O sat on the bench. WTF?!

I honestly can't begin to imagine what the substitutions were supposed to achieve.
ricko

Post by ricko »

Not to me it isn't. We played the hardest fixture in the league last night and by the sounds of things we were unlucky not to nick a point in the second half. It seems little Sam didn't have his shooting boots on

A £50 bet on West Ham to win last night would of returned over £150. Taking our away form into consideration that shows just how good Southampton are at home. 15 home wins in a row is some f***ing achievement

It's all still looking rosy from where im sitting
Well said. Thats the attitude we need Sir.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

the simple question is, 25% of the season in, do we think that we have enough in each are of the park, to be amongst the front two come april 28th?

Defence wise we are organised though will feel better with Greeno back, and Demel needs to get fit for cover.. Up front I think we're at least one striker short of where we need to be...and to unlock the better defences in key games. I think the midfield will be like it has been all season...constant chopping changing subs and bizarre formations, generally they are there to manage any scuffed balls when the launching commences....I'm being a tad cheesey but we just dont appear to know what our best midfield formation is or how to play... maybe the plan is to bring in the likes of montenegro and others...however BFS's premis seems to be to use and over-use old and trusted players....

This season is all about peaking...there's 13 matches and 39 points available just in march/april alone :shock:
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Hope our chavs corner looks better from the away end than theirs however had to chuckle when the "rotund" gent behind be got a chorus of "have you ever seen your dick" from there lot. :lol:
Major
%&!$

Post by Major »

cockney farmer wrote:Hope our chavs corner looks better from the away end than theirs however had to chuckle when the "rotund" gent behind be got a chorus of "have you ever seen your dick" from there lot.

I did in 1978 :wink: