Southampton 1 West Ham Utd 0 (18/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 600 likes

Re: Southampton v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Croydon »

Really frustrating performance.

So much long ball.

Didn't really understand Sam's subs either.

Saints fans were pretty nice.

Piquionne useless as usual.

Nolan anonymous as was Lansbury.

Papa and Carew were very good in my opinion as was Noble when he came on.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

Puff Daddy wrote:When you think that the year Newcastle went down, they went thorughout the entire campaign unbeaten, wiping the floor with teams such as this, week in, week out and that with a team of players, no better than what we have, so why aren't we beating teams such as this ? What concerns me is that we have dropped too many points to the likes of Millwall, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Ipswich and now a team who were two divisions below us last season. That is not good and we won't get out of this league with results like those, no matter what excuses are offered ?
Oh! absolutey ****ing marvellous me old mucker - at last some one has told it like it is. I really do not mean to be offensive but some people on here appear to be shall we say content with losing away to Soton cos we are still in 2nd spot. They tell me to stop moaning cos we are the 2nd highest goalsorers in this league - well how many did we score last night?

Right now it aint good enough and we should be wiping the floor with the teams in this league cos the league is in my humble not good - i aint seen a decent team yet.

On a more postive note I really do applaud the optimism of some on here and perhaps if we can stay in 2nd till January and then splash out on a couple of quality strikers then up we go. And no I am not pissed but I am off to open my first bottle of Beajoulas of the evening. Seriously boys, if you can't play Southampton off the park you aint good enough.
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

:lol: oh dear
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

As I wasn't present at the game last night, I have a question.

Since Carlton Cole wasn't on the pitch last night who took his near post job on defending corners ?

Was it Carew or was it just Nolan sticking a leg 12" in the air ?
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Was too dejected to post last night and this is my first chance to get on here today.

They were ****, we were worse. Why did Piquionne come on and not Collison?

Why do we play midfielders when we bypass them anyway?

Faye, as much as he can block a ball, needs to learn how to kick it as well.

Too many nothing passes into the channels with no one there. Also, we had no guile whatsoever, especially when Carew was pumped balls in the air with Baldock and that lazy **** Piquionne no one near them.

As a side, Southampton as a club are rather embarrassing nowadays. What was that half time game about? I cringed. A lot.
Boom Kid
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Boom Kid »

Faubert's Boot wrote::lol: oh dear
Come on FB you know its right :wink:
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

Someone agreed with Puff :lol:

I think some of you need to realise we're in this division for a reason.

You also need to realise that every game against us is a big deal.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Pop Robson wrote:As I wasn't present at the game last night, I have a question.

Since Carlton Cole wasn't on the pitch last night who took his near post job on defending corners ?

Carew...but its the one thing Carlton is better at.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Billydinho wrote:Was too dejected to post last night and this is my first chance to get on here today.

They were sh*t, we were worse. Why did Piquionne come on and not Collison?

Too many nothing passes into the channels with no one there. Also, we had no guile whatsoever, especially when Carew was pumped balls in the air with Baldock and that lazy c*** Piquionne no one near them.

As a side, Southampton as a club are rather embarrassing nowadays. What was that half time game about? I cringed. A lot.
I was watching the same game as someone else...thank god :lol:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1976 likes
Total likes: 1657 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bob

Hope you are reading this. Didn't go, and only the limited ***** that is a radio commentary......Romford does the miles and I value his opinion even if I take it with others (PP for example and more) Nolan and Lansbury don't do the work rate. PLUS putting them on the sheet and having to figure out everything else around those two. As I say with Capello, it doesn't always work. I think you have to look at the game first, the opposition second (what I mean is local derby, top of the table clash etc. home or away) and figure out what works best.

Not go "Hmm. Nolan in, Lansbury in, then let's figure out where I can put everyone else......" it limits your choices way too much.

I'd think for example, home to a lower placed team, go 4-4-2 that means Nolan maybe not in. Doesn't work hard enough and can't play in central midfield. Noble and Diop, or Diop and Collison, or Noble and Collison. (Maybe chuck Lansbury in for Collison but not in place of Noble or Diop). Two wide men, Taylor and Faubert. Back four, Linda, O'Brien, and any 2 from Tomkins (must imvho if fit) and Reid or Faye. Baldock and Carew/Over Chuffed up top.

Tough game maybe, back four, Noble and Diop in the middle Taylor, Faubert wide and Nolan off a top man. I would though prefer to set out my stall and make the other team adjust at home. Maybe play 4-4-2with an "easier" away game (or away at a tough place, go with my line up 4-2-3-1).

I would never put in one player to the exclusion of others unless I had a Lionel Messi/Xavi/Iniesta/Villa.

:wink:
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

:lol:

I don't see how anyone can take positives out of that game or give Southampton credit.

Can anyone think of more than 5 incidents of note in the game?

The goal, Baldock's first half chance, Nolan's one on one, Baldock's curler and when we hit the post.

Nothign else happened in 90 minutes. It was Sunday league football in a 33,000 seater stadium.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Pop Robson wrote:Since Carlton Cole wasn't on the pitch last night who took his near post job on defending corners ?

Most worryingly was when we had big Sam Baldock back in the box defending the corner whilst we had Piq on the half way line as the out ball .

I'm not joking .
Billydinho

Post by Billydinho »

the pink palermo wrote:
Most worryingly was when we had big Sam Baldock back in the box defending the corner whilst we had Piq on the half way line as the out ball .

I'm not joking .
:lol: I said the same thing. I also died a little bit inside watching Sam Baldock try to tackle, bless him.
Faubert's Boot

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Boom Kid wrote: Come on FB you know its right :wink:
teams that play against us are gonna up their game, i think it says a lot that southampton broke their stadium record on a cold tuesday night against us when that ground saw prem football for 3 years.

It not the end of the world, the team still needs to gel on the pitch properly and find a consistent tactic.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Faubert's Boot wrote::lol: oh dear
Well, you can show cycicism mate, but we should be beating teams such as that and don't you think we should also be defending set plays better than the one that led to their goal ?. A loping header which our defenders dealt poorly with and with a defender on the line too, who should have done better with it as well. I also think we should have picked up more than just 3 points from matches against Cardiff, Millwall, Leeds Palace and Ipswich, but what do you think ? Is 3 points from these games, a reasonable return for a team with aspirations of being crowned champions ?
Faubert's Boot

Post by Faubert's Boot »

:lol: you're just embarrassing yourself.

There's 34 games left. It's all lovely when we win one and this place is full of optimism for a change, then when we lose one, to a team who have won their last 17 games at home, its the end of the world. Of course it was a bad performance, but you need to look at how southampton tried to nullify the game and look at the chances we missed.

Just want to clarify this, is this the first goal we've conceded from a set piece this season?
61dicksey
Has liked: 580 likes
Total likes: 424 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Billydinho wrote:Was too dejected to post last night and this is my first chance to get on here today.

They were sh*t, we were worse. Why did Piquionne come on and not Collison?

Too many nothing passes into the channels with no one there. Also, we had no guile whatsoever, especially when Carew was pumped balls in the air with Baldock and that lazy c*** Piquionne no one near them.

When that idiot was asking the questions in that daft game at half time the question "what is Kelvin Davies favourite position" bought some funny answers from our lot :D
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Puff Daddy wrote:Well, you can show cycicism mate, but we should be beating teams such as that and don't you think we should also be defending set plays better than the one that led to their goal ?. A loping header which our defenders dealt poorly with and with a defender on the line too, who should have done better with it as well. I also think we should have picked up more than just 3 points from matches against Cardiff, Millwall, Leeds Palace and Ipswich, but what do you think ? Is 3 points from these games, a reasonable return for a team with aspirations of being crowned champions ?
Faubert's Boot wrote:you're just embarrassing yourself.
Is he? I make him spot on with the above tbf.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

61dicksey wrote: When that idiot was asking the questions in that daft game at half time the question "what is Kelvin Davies favourite position" bought some funny answers from our lot :D
Was in the bogs during the question game, our lads came out with some great answers, if it wasn't already at the urinal, I would have probably pissed myself, just on what our lads responses were.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

In response to Puff, I'd say we need to remember that this is still a very new team. Tuesday night we had a new goalkeeper, a re-signed left back, a new centre back, a centre back who featured little last season and a front six of players who weren't at the club last season and of which most have less than half a dozen starts this season.

We might want to "wipe the floor with these teams" but we don't have a divine right to just because we're "big" West Ham and "big" Newcastle did it a couple of years ago. It'll take time for a team of new players to come together to such an extent that they can adjust to and overcome all opponents. As it stands we're in an automatic promotion place and are better equipped than most to cope with the strenuous winter months ahead. We might not set any league records this year but we still have every reason to see ourselves as credible championship contenders.