Brighton 0 West Ham Utd 1 (24/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Re: Brighton v West Ham United match thread

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

miles wrote:Didn't the offside offence occur when Faubert passed the ball back to Noble? :lol:
I dunno. Same difference.

Both acts of stupidity, rife in the modern footballer.
I don't need to rate 3 passes. This ain't about digs or slaps on the back for every little thing he does good or bad.

I know he can play decent passes and he does. But, he's still incredibly thick.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

miles wrote: Unless directed forward by some exotic Italian/Carlos Kickaball with funny hair, or an Arsene Wenger castoff, in which case he is revered and wanked over as a 'creative' midfielder...
It was a **** ball to Faubert. A firm ball in front of the player and he would of had a decent chance at goal
jamesie

Post by jamesie »

I don't get to see many matches but last night was the only time I can remember that West Ham were defending a 1-0 lead and I wasn't ****ting myself! I thought we gave them the ball because we were confident they wouldn't break us down and I thought the midfield looked decent on the counter, particularly once Sears gave us some pace. Nolan was loads better than people have been describing him on here, defence looked solid apart from the odd rainy day slip. It wasn't an all singing all dancing slick passing performance but it was confident and solid and I enjoyed it. Even Piq wasn't as bad as I was expecting!

Oh, erm, sorry... Allardyce out?
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

For me Almunia is better than Green. Green at times can be unsure and quiet and I think this affects the defence. Reid was solid if caught out a couple of times, Faye leads the line well and is a quality defender. Joey was caught for pace by a very effective winger and given no protection from Collison who for me was anonymous last night and bereft of fitness and confidence.

Linda was Linda no more and no less and some of his deliveries from set pieces were poor, but he tracked back well and tried to overlap with the frustrating Faubert. Faubert looks great at times and comical at others and the booking was unlucky.

Nolan scored and did little else a a passenger for most of the night in a congested midfield when we had the ball. Noble for me on the night was our best player his effort makes up somewhat for his lack of vision at times.

Carew had a thankless task and suffered from a slow Nolan and our midfield getting too deep after the goal.

Diop may be the most important signing Sam has made. Not spectacular but very very effective.

Piq is along for the ride with no effort, and sears looked better for a little weight, but has Stanislas disease when it comes to defending.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
I dunno. Same difference.
Er, the difference is he wasn't thick enough to play a short corner to a man who was standing offside, which is what you were saying...
Yea Why Not wrote: It was a sh*t ball to Faubert. A firm ball in front of the player and he would of had a decent chance at goal
It's easier when you can control all them players with that gamepad thingy isn't it... :lol:
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

miles wrote: It's easier when you can control all them players with that gamepad thingy isn't it... :lol:
Why make a comment, get proved wrong, then try to make a joke to get out of it

Noble's ball to Faubert was **** as it was weak and behind him. A better ball would of created a decent chance
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

miles wrote:Er, the difference is he wasn't thick enough to play a short corner to a man who was standing offside, which is what you were saying...
Yes. I also said Faubert was equally as stupid for standing there.

So, either/or. Same difference. I got the players mixed up. Both stupid.

Point stands.

Yea Why Not wrote:Noble's ball to Faubert was sh*t. It was weak and behind him. A better ball would of created a decent chance
But it's alright if you reply with a sarcastic joke about a computer game :lol:
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

13 games in with a new manager, a new squad, a few notable injuries and several important players off form or struggling for fitness, and we are second. It is not pretty to watch, but when we get a settled midfield and forward line, the style of play will improve.

In terms of last night's game, defensively, we were well organised. Tactically, Big Sam was spot on - Brighton were reduced to quite a few long (off target) shots. I saw them play Blackpool in August and if you don't defend relatively deep and keep a rigid shape, they will punish. For the reasons I mentioned above, we have little to offer going forward, so there is no point in trying to play 'the right way' at the moment. Last night, we could have pushed up and tried to control the game with intricate and forward thinking passing, but that is not the best way to utilise the players we currently have at our disposal who are fit and on form.
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

bristolhammerfc wrote:For me Almunia is better than Green. Green at times can be unsure and quiet and I think this affects the defence. Reid was solid if caught out a couple of times, Faye leads the line well and is a quality defender. Joey was caught for pace by a very effective winger and given no protection from Collison who for me was anonymous last night and bereft of fitness and confidence.

Linda was Linda no more and no less and some of his deliveries from set pieces were poor, but he tracked back well and tried to overlap with the frustrating Faubert. Faubert looks great at times and comical at others and the booking was unlucky.

Nolan scored and did little else a a passenger for most of the night in a congested midfield when we had the ball. Noble for me on the night was our best player his effort makes up somewhat for his lack of vision at times.

Carew had a thankless task and suffered from a slow Nolan and our midfield getting too deep after the goal.

Diop may be the most important signing Sam has made. Not spectacular but very very effective.

Piq is along for the ride with no effort, and sears looked better for a little weight, but has Stanislas disease when it comes to defending.
I agree with most of that Bris. I prefer Green but Almunia looked solid. We could have done with more pace last night but well pleased with the result.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

DrVenk wrote:13 games in with a new manager, a new squad, a few notable injuries and several important players off form or struggling for fitness, and we are second. It is not pretty to watch, but when we get a settled midfield and forward line, the style of play will improve.

In terms of last night's game, defensively, we were well organised. Tactically, Big Sam was spot on - Brighton were reduced to quite a few long (off target) shots. I saw them play Blackpool in August and if you don't defend relatively deep and keep a rigid shape, they will punish. For the reasons I mentioned above, we have little to offer going forward, so there is no point in trying to play 'the right way' at the moment. Last night, we could have pushed up and tried to control the game with intricate and forward thinking passing, but that is not the best way to utilise the players we currently have at our disposal who are fit and on form.

:thup: agree with everything said.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: But it's alright if you reply with a sarcastic joke about a computer game:
Thing is, I don't even really play computer games that much at all. I just like going on that PES thread and telling everyone how **** it is even though I've never played it :lol:
miles
This site...

Post by miles »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: Yes. I also said Faubert was equally as stupid for standing there.

So, either/or. Same difference. I got the players mixed up. Both stupid.

Point stands.
So Noble gets the blame for Faubert's stupidity in passing it back to him before he can get back onside? This thread. :lol:
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

No he's not.[/quote]

Who is better on the ball, he is the only player in our side who is capable of mixing up the short and long game.

It's very hard to show ability when you don't have much to work with, would I give Ringo, Diop a pass in a tight situation? Not a chance, I'd turn out to try and play someone else who I trust, or if all else failed you'd have to play long into a channel. Our players aren't that mobile. You can't keep turning over possession, someone has to hold the ball. I like Faubert, he has a place in our team (RB) but it should not be wide right in a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3..His movement last night was non existent, if know one shows for Noble what is he meant to do?
The only thing I would criticise him for is his rash tackling.
miles
This site...

Post by miles »

Yea Why Not wrote:
Why make a comment, get proved wrong, then try to make a joke to get out of it

Noble's ball to Faubert was sh*t as it was weak and behind him. A better ball would of created a decent chance
Nonsense. It was a good ball. Faubert fluffed it with his left foot. :lol:
tonkaman
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by tonkaman »

Yea Why Not wrote:
f*** all that. What’s the point if it ain't fun?
hammerbenj wrote: was it fun last season? and the one before that? oh and the one before that?.........

blackburn fans are supposed to be happy now because they got rid of sam and are now playing some cracking football, sadly they are bottom and want the manager out because they aren't getting results!
+1 Benj. I've had enough of us over the years playing the "west ham way". I want some grit and strength and ground-out 1-0 wins!
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

miles wrote: Unless directed forward by some exotic Italian/Carlos Kickaball with funny hair, or an Arsene Wenger castoff, in which case he is revered and wanked over as a 'creative' midfielder...
This is what really winds me up about this site, you can't give your honest opinion on a player without being accused of having a hidden agenda, or accused of being lured in to 'The cultured foreigner' myth, or Wenger's 'Beautiful Football' myth

The Kevin Nolan argument is a huge one, I’m still not massively convinced of what he does bring to the side outside of either penalty area. In terms of discussing Noble though, I do think it’s important to not get mixed up and include him with other players. Mark Noble is one of the senior players in our side, I rate him very highly and think that at what he does, he’s good player. Where I find him disappointing, is when he has to step up and be the senior central midfielder. As I’ve said, he’s a good ‘link midfielder’, decent in the tackle, tracks back, goes forward, ‘ok’ set-piece delivery, the occasional decent throughball.

The frustration with Noble, is that this sort of thing only really happens when West Ham are in control of a game. Like too many of our midfielders. Last night, every one of them seemed to go missing in an offensive way when we were on the backfoot. It could be down to Allardyce’s tactics, it could have been that the wide men dropped off too far leaving no outball, and Carew became too isolated, but I do think there were a couple of passages of play when we actually had the ball and even with a congested midfield of Nolan, Collison and Noble, with McCartney and O’Brien both available for passes, that’s when I felt that we were poor at keeping the ball. That’s something that I personally think that Lansbury, Bentley and Taylor are better at.

Having said that, I do think there is something to be said about the fact that under Zola and Grant West Ham players have been receiving very mixed messages about what to do with the actual ball for far too long now. It could be that from an ability point of view, Noble and Collison are equally adept at keeping the ball as Lansbury and Bentley, maybe it’s psychological, whatever. I personally think that too often though, both Noble and Collison make the wrong decision.

Please, please don’t lump me in with the crowd who think that ‘any old striker’ will be a better bet than Cole, or that all overseas midfielders are better than our home-grown ones. Before his injury, I thought Collison was going to be one of the best attacking midfielders we’d seen at the club for some time, and I still hope he makes it. I also think that Noble will be a hugely important part of our midfield and think that he does bring more in most areas than our Captain Marvel. Sadly for Noble, he’s not 6ft 2 and as adept at ghosting into goal-scoring positions as Nolan so seems to have been deemed as less valued. But I digress, I think Noble’s progress has stalled and he needs to become better at taking charge of a game and dictating the pace of our football. He can’t compete with Diop as a big wardrobe shaped defensive midfielder, he can’t compete with Nolan as a goal-scoring midfielder who adds height to our set-pieces front and back, so he has to compete with Lansbury and Collison and whoever else as our ball-playing central midfielder. Sometimes, I think he has a tendency to go missing a little in that regard, that’s all I’m saying.

miles wrote:So Noble gets the blame for Faubert's stupidity in passing it back to him before he can get back onside? This thread.
You're actually right there. Oops.

Was it Noble offside, or Faubert though? Oooohhh... :lol:
miles
This site...

Post by miles »

Turns to Stone wrote:
This is what really winds me up about this site, you can't give your honest opinion on a player without being accused of having a hidden agenda, or accused of being lured in to 'The cultured foreigner' myth, or Wenger's 'Beautiful Football' myth
You forgot the 'West Ham Academy Players Forgiven Everything' myth... :lol:
In terms of discussing Noble though, I do think it’s important to not get mixed up and include him with other players. Mark Noble is one of the senior players in our side, I rate him very highly and think that at what he does, he’s good player. Where I find him disappointing, is when he has to step up and be the senior central midfielder. As I’ve said, he’s a good ‘link midfielder’, decent in the tackle, tracks back, goes forward, ‘ok’ set-piece delivery, the occasional decent throughball.
All anyone has really said is that Mark Noble is still good enough to play for West Ham.

What winds me up is fantasy football driven nonsense about how every midfielder on the pitch yesterday was poor enough to rate a '4 out of 10' when it plainly isn't the case...
WindmillWarrior

Post by WindmillWarrior »

Great win and all that, but was our away support a bit quiet again last night?? Certainly sounded that way on the telly anyway. Only really came to life in the last quarter of the game