Brighton 0 West Ham Utd 1 (24/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Matt of iron

Re: Brighton v West Ham United match thread

Post by Matt of iron »

the pink palermo wrote:
I think there is something in this .Away from home I'll put up with a different style of play, and will accept a cautious gameplan as a means to an end .It's interesting you cite Everton as an example - and it's a good one , but many Evertonians get frustrated by a not dissimilar approach at home .In fairness to Sam, I think he at least is trying to play slightly more positively at home .
I agree completely TPP

If we play that way at Home I would get frustrated but I think Fat Sam has had us playing some quite good stuff at home.
vince147

Re: Last nights positive!

Post by vince147 »

Where is the entertainment under Fat Sam? What sort of an advert was that for West Ham last night?

A few years down the line we will be watching that sort of football over a running track. I was reasonably happy when G&S took over but finances a side they are slowing dismantling everything that this club has ever stood for
I'm only 27 so obviously not (im presuming by your comments) a west ham veteran like yourself. Can you tell me what the club has stood for please? I assume your referring to the 'west ham way' that hasn't been seen since the 80's???
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Noble is our best footballer, people need to realise this, i'd put Collison a close 2nd!!
Players like Diop and Nolan aren't on the same wavelength, their completely the opposite, it's a good blend to have but we are not able to show it because we are missing 1 or 2 pacey players to take the pressure off, we are very one paced. It also doesn't help that both our full backs last night were pants on the ball, i don't remember ringo being that bad last time around but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt as it was 4 years ago!
They cross the halfway line and panic. If we had full backs that could travel with the ball it would allow us to get 10/20 yards further up the pitch gaining position in dangerous areas, it's a massive difference at any level. I'd go with Taylor at LB the minute he is fit, especially in our home games.
All in all it was a great 3 points.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1020 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
We had someone pass from a short corner and give away offside.
Offside from a short corner?

That was Mark Noble, that was.
Fauberts lack of footballing brain caused that as much as Nobles to be fair.
rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: "Oh, we've played 6 passes without getting nowhere... we've had the ball too long without passing it more than 10 yards forward... I know, let me play a diagonal pass across the back of their left back, where I reckon our midfielder might hopefully run to..."

Ball played, no one there, lack of making correct judgement based on current passage of play.

That's Mark Noble.
There are times when you are right RARS and times when Noble is. There were a few times last night when he played a pass having looked at the situation and the bloke he was passing it to was the one that showed no idea of what was happening. There weer also times when he played it into their fullbacks areas of the field with none of ours within 30 yards. To be honest though I thought that was our tactical plan.

Overall last night the standard of both teams was laughable. Professional footballers that can't pass or control, don't know where to run, don't mark, don't track back, can't tackle and looked incredibly uncomposed in possession.

We look caught between two stools at the moment, we simply don't have anyone that has an ounce of technical ability so nice football is a pipedream but neither do we do the things BFS was supposed to bring. Quite a few people seem to be saying we gave a good defensive display looking solid and organised, i must be in the minority because we looked anything but to me. We looked ok when we gave them the ball back and formed our 4-5-1 but once play actually got going we looked chaotic and weak to me. We still don't clear our lines, we still can't defend crosses and we still don't track runners, we looked powder puff in tackles and frequently 4 of our dfenders got in each others way and were taken out of the game by on of their guys masterly trick of stopping running with the ball.

Anyway a win is a win on our march back to the promised land but for the life of me I can't work out why we would want to go up with this team.
Hammered1

Post by Hammered1 »

The performance last night was Professional, people on this site are never happy, always moaning, and think you have to play free flowing football all the time. Perhaps you should go and support Brighton, they played free flowing football and got sod all out of last night. I know where I would rather support.

As a defender in my time, I would have walked off that pitch last night 8ft tall, getting a result like that, everbody in that team defended as unit, they were solid and for all of Brightons possession, they created one shot from outside the box, we weren't good in possession but more than made up for it by defending as a solid unit from the front, you would actually get more confidence out of that performance than an easy 4-0 win.

Pretty football can be lovely, and we all love watching Barcelona, but playing free flowing football in this league you don't neccesary win much, Newcastle werent pretty when they walked away with the league, QPR weren't either, but they had a stand out player in Tarrabt, take him out of the side and they were workman like.

Take last night for what it was, a solid professional, if not pretty performance, there's not many times in the last few years we can actually say that, we got 3 points and on to Leicester on Saturday.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

simon1982 wrote:Noble is our best footballer
No he's not.
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

I'm chuffed with the result,no matter how we played but for those of you who ain't,lets sack BFS and get......er.......er...tell me. I think Sven is available. What it seems to me is,it's not the way we're playing but who is managing us because I haven't seen a 'flair side' yet in this division. Headbanger
djclipz
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by djclipz »

Yea Why Not wrote:So thousands of fans travel miles and miles to watch the team but it doesn't matter how we play. I've heard it all now....
I agree with that of course.... however, imo we did play crap when in possession, but i thought they also played crap, in the final 3rd especially, we were the away team, we defended well, clean sheet, faubert should have made it 2 which would of looked a bit sweeter, and that miss from piq at the end - my god, but we did get the 3 points (whereas last season we wouldn't). We lacked the pace that certainly made a difference when he brought on Sears, so it was good the change was made and what came of it. Disappointed the game wasn't a spectacle, happy we got 3pts. Now we move on.
Denzil
Has liked: 344 likes
Total likes: 487 likes

Post by Denzil »

People need to realise defence is as much part of football as attack.

Come May, when people look back at the seasons results, last night will show 3 points. The peformance will be forgotten. That's what matters.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

Vince, spot on..the last team that played the "west Ham way2 was the 86 team, and they ground out a few 1-0's as well mate. The West ham way, is to play *****, away from home, roll over to a mediocre side and all slag each other off in the pub after.

I ain't a fan of the "West Ham way"...

ONE NIL TO THE COCKNEY BOYS...

Yes please.

anyone wannna bet we put 5 past Leicester?
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:We had someone pass from a short corner and give away offside.
Offside from a short corner?

That was Mark Noble, that was.
SammyLeeWasOffside wrote:Fauberts lack of footballing brain caused that as much as Nobles to be fair.
Of course, you're completely right.

But, Faubert (who is not exempt from this particular critisism) was clearly standing in an offside position, 2 yards away, yet Mark Noble still gave him the ball.

I mean, come on, potential ability to play nice 30 yard passes to better teammates or not, does that strike you as a particularly intelligent thing to do? :lol:
Bubbles Bob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bubbles Bob »

This Club is carrying some pretty deep scars from all the **** thats happened to it over the last ten or so years and they're going to take some time to heal. The best way for that to happen is to keep winning, Brighton are on that dodgy ground that we know all to well - playing some nice stuff (you'd expect from a settled team) but with no end product. They've gone home beat but feel somehow justified because they kept posession longer than we did and spent the greater length of time in our half which won't do them any favours. Us on the other hand have won, are back up to second in the league and with it another notch of confidence. As the confidence grows and the scars heal, the football will come.

On Nolan - he scored the only goal, I saw him shouting, encouraging, and organising the defense. He isn't Scott Parker, he's a matter of fact northerner who's settling in and getting used to a new club. I can't think of anyone in the side who'd be a better Captain.

On JC - He's been out for two years, it will take him a while to get back to best form. He did a job out of position - give him a chance. Isn't Diouf capable of playing here?

On JF - Worked his socks off - another bloke who is showing just how long it takes to return to form from a bad injury. imho one of our best players so far this season who's improvment has been put down to BFS. Will get better.

In the rain after the match the performance was fading already but the three points remained.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

3 points
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
But, Faubert (who is not exempt from this particular critisism) was clearly standing in an offside position, 2 yards away, yet Mark Noble still gave him the ball.

I mean, come on, potential ability to play nice 30 yard passes to better teammates or not, does that strike you as a particularly intelligent thing to do?
Didn't the offside offence occur when Faubert passed the ball back to Noble? :lol:

In the meantime, the three wonderful through passes he played for Sears, Faubert and Piquoinne haven't been mentioned on this thread yet...
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Yea Why Not wrote:Laugh it off what ever. The fact that some people are happy with that performance against Brighton just shows how far we have fallen
Happy needs to be clearly defined

I was happy enough to grind out a win
I was happy enough to see a very well drilled West Ham side, that never really looked like conceding
I was happy to see a very solid, well organised defence where everyone knew their job, and no one was shirking.
I was happy to see that we bounced back well from defeat in the previous game.
I was exceptionally happy to see Jack Collison get a full 90 and not hold back once in anything he did

There are times when I do enjoy watching a well drilled side soak up all the pressure against a more expansive side and win through. The Swiss beating Spain in the WC being a prime example.

But...
Brighton are hardly Spain! There's no question we should have a lot more to offer going forwards
On the other hand, it ain't much different to what we've been used to for the last few seasons, big isolated striker with no support, etc, etc. The difference being that whereas before we'd be gutless at both ends of the pitch, we do at least seem to have sorted one end of our side out.
And in fairness, it's the area I would have started first, in trying to turn us around from the shambles we have become in recent years, and I'm happy enough to see the progress made there

Of course I'm not happy playing route one hoofball, not happy with a lot of our attacking side of the game
But I'm happy enough with the thought that there is more to come

So I guess I would say I'm somewhere between two stools on the performance last night. Frustrated at the lack of fluid football, but happy enough at the spirit, determination, organisation and other areas we've needed to improve for some time.

If I thought last night was all we had to offer, I'd be less happy. If I thought Sam had all the options available to him, had wide options but chose to play narrow, etc, I'd be less happy

There's no doubt that we need to start playing the ball on the deck more, need better options in attack, play some entertaining stuff... but I'm not giving up yet, and still live in hope that as this team grows the better passers will get a chance to have more of a say in dictating the way we play
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

After the Soton game, last night was all about NOT LOSING and being potentially dumped 'back in the pack'. Of course it wan't pretty and never will be under BFS especially away. We can only hope that he is true to his word and tries to entertain us a little more at the Boleyn.
Defence were very solid right across the 4 I thought, Joey improved H2 and both CBs were rocks.
I thought after the goal we stopped pressing so high up the field and this let them have too much possession center field, but they could do little in our final third at all, all game. Tight disciplined midfield helped - but again no creativity and barring a Sears cameo fist 5 mins, no pace. Noble I thought did well and moved the ball around more effectively than the other 4. Colli looks a bit short on confidence and is adopting a 'do the basics' job which includes (rightly) a lot of 'play the way your facing' stuff. Nolan is a passenger for the most part. The Bear is just a very average footballer but at least is showing some enthusiasm for the game again.
Carew disappointed me. I know he was isolated for large parts but his touch was poor and hold-up play lacks conviction. We need to work the channels more in pairs to give the defence a reliable out-ball.
Overall the end justified the means. And that's all our manager will worry about.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

miles wrote: In the meantime, the three wonderful through passes he played for Sears, Faubert and Piquoinne haven't been mentioned on this thread yet...
Miles

Forward directed passes are like penalties, they don't count .
Chippenhammer
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Chippenhammer »

Why do people seem to love to get on Nobles back? He still loves this club when so many on here just slag him off at every opportunity. I think that he and Reid were our best players last night. He wanted to attack when he could last night, he passed better than anyone else on our side (Nolan was shocking) and he played most of the game with his wrist strapped. I can't understand what he has done to make some see him so badly.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

We got 6 points, scored 5, conceded 1 from a team that finished above us last season, the league leaders, and a team that would have gone above us if they had won. Happy with that.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

the pink palermo wrote: Miles

Forward directed passes are like penalties, they don't count .
Unless directed forward by some exotic Italian/Carlos Kickaball with funny hair, or an Arsene Wenger castoff, in which case he is revered and wanked over as a 'creative' midfielder...