Brighton 0 West Ham Utd 1 (24/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Brighton v West Ham United match thread

Post by Romford »

boleyn4life wrote:
Sadly in 2011 that is all that counts to the owners of all clubs

The PL gravy train has taken the sport out of football.
I don't own the club...just support it.

Another season down here with a different manager is fine with me :thup:
badgermax
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by badgermax »

Its £40m so it's quite a big carrot to go up. People talk about not wanting to go up 'at any cost'. If that means cheating or underhandedness, then no not at 'any cost'. But if it means clawing our way to winning because our defence is rock solid, then that makes me much happier than good football and losing. If we get ahead in the table with a bit of breathing space, our confidence and lack of pressure will help produce better football, but until then lets not be mugs and give it away to the other team. I love waking up in the morning after a win and I'm very proud that we're hard to beat. We've already had 4-nils and i'm excitedly anticipating a few more during the season but the end result is ultimately where we are on the table at the end of it.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

In 20 years time I think allardyce will be thought as in the same light as macari, signed good players played crap football.
If west ham played the style of football with our players, we would damage a fair few teams.
Do those that think promotion 1st style second is ok for this season really think that allardyce will change just because he's in the prem.
boleyn4life

Post by boleyn4life »

Romford wrote:
My problem is with WHUFC and the way they allocate the tickets...before they even go on sale.

I saw stewards, i saw people who work in the office and hotel, the girls who work with the disabled, Saturday ticket staff and girls who work in the corporate areas....all in the best seats !?
Just noticed on the OS the next away games on sale.
Corporate seasonal? now have the same priority as Bondholders.
When was this introduced?
HarrowInnHammer

Post by HarrowInnHammer »

What is corporate seasonal?
hammer_lad

Post by hammer_lad »

Romford wrote:.

Maybe im getting old (and by God did i feel it in The Fishbowl Pub at 2am this morning)
What was that like? we were meant to be heading there but ended up in coalition on the seafront which was pony, then tried Oceania which was dead then ended up back in coalition.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

We it certainly wasn't much of a spectacle but I'm delighted with an away win in a game that could have been a potential banana skin. I wouldn't be at all happy if I thought our football wasn't going to get any better, but BS has got us playing with real purpose and organization and when was the last time you could say that about WHU? When you think how sh*t we were last year, BS has to take a lot of credit for the improvement. When you set about building a house you make sure the foundations are solid and only much later do you worry about the roof, nevermind how the garden looks. While using the house analogy many times when we found ourselves bitching about how our builder had always gone for the cheap option with materials, we found it necessary to remind ourselves that were that not the case we wouldn't have been able to afford to buy it in the first place. As Dannyboy pointed out this is a principle we need to keep in mind when we criticize our players: If Nolan and Noble were much better than they are, they wouldn't be playing for us in the championship anyway would they?
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

Watching the Brighton game back.............

We couldn't be more of an Allardyce side. Linda was great when (s)he was last here... but he must be Allardyce's favourite. Every time he gets the ball he hoofs it 50 yards.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hammer_lad wrote:
What was that like? we were meant to be heading there but ended up in coalition on the seafront which was pony, then tried Oceania which was dead then ended up back in coalition.
The Fishbowl was just a late pub with a fishbowl...about 20 of us in there at the end. There was also one top drawer Doris. Played Everyday People...and that's about all i can remember.

The Black Lion was the better late pub open till 2....nice mix in there and a tad classier.
Hackney Hammer

Post by Hackney Hammer »

Hayden wrote:We couldn't be more of an Allardyce side. Linda was great when (s)he was last here... but he must be Allardyce's favourite. Every time he gets the ball he hoofs it 50 yards.
To be fair though, that's more to do with the player seriously lacking the confidence to run with the ball than Big Sam telling him to lump it. O'Brien on the other side seems to at least attempt to bring the ball out of defence.

I hope Macca gets his confidence back.
Dyl

Post by Dyl »

Romford wrote:
The Fishbowl was just a late pub with a fishbowl...about 20 of us in there at the end. There was also one top drawer Doris. Played Everyday People...and that's about all i can remember.

The Black Lion was the better late pub open till 2....nice mix in there and a tad classier.
Black lion is a lovely pub. just around the corner is INK which is a decent club/late bar, bath arms which is superb and the font which is great for cheap drinks.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

A boring, dull, disciplined and organised performance. Brighton could still be playing now and they wouldn't have scored. Exactly what Allardyce told us he would provide away from home...................fine, but why did the whole nation have to see us doing it.

:lol:

The home performances have got to be a marvellous attacking antidote to the scrapped for away points which are very impressively hard earned.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 798 likes
Total likes: 3009 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

davids cross wrote:...................fine, but why did the whole nation have to see us doing it.
:lol: The whole nation ..........two old grannies smelling of wee who thought it was an episode of the antiques roadshow with the tape running slowly .
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote: The whole nation ..........two old grannies smelling of wee who thought it was an episode of the antiques roadshow with the tape running slowly .
I had 10 texts waiting next day claiming that Bolton had played well and Brighton never looked like scoring...........I think 10 is the whole nation.

Naturally I texted back with the words "utterly professional performance".... :lol:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

davids cross wrote:I had 10 texts waiting next day claiming that Bolton had played well and Brighton never looked like scoring
I had that at work after the Southampton game, as I work with saints season ticket holders, the even put a bloody Bolton badge on my computer wall paper when I went to make the 'loser makes the tea all day' deal I had with them.
davids cross
Uncle David

Post by davids cross »

Mart13 wrote: the even put a bloody Bolton badge on my computer wall paper when I went to make the 'loser makes the tea all day' deal I had with them.
Yeah.

I'm finding the Bolton theme is some sort of orchestrated attack from my "pals".

I'm holding a steady line though..........Points them nervously to the league table as a job well done...... :lol: