Brighton 0 West Ham Utd 1 (24/10/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Re: Brighton v West Ham United match thread

Post by miles »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: You're actually right there. Oops.
:raver:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

But what if Noble was calling for the ball in the offside position ?
TheGavnor
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

I was in the Away end last night. A nervy game of football to say the least, but, to win having not played particularly well pays dividends in the Championship. We need to make this count by winning Saturday now.

My views:

Almunia - Made a key save and dealt with most catches that came his way pretty well. Thinks this is the performance us fans needed to see from him that bit of reassurance.

O'Brien - An ok game, at most struggled slightly to contain Noone, but in his defence, a lot of the time when he wanted to breed an attack he wasn't given too much help from Faubert positionally.

Reid - Solid game. The odd error, but always went back to try and correct it. Committed with brave blocking, the makings of a future captain I feel.

Faye - Again, similar to Reid in some points. Fairly solid, and made some decent and important challenges.

McCartney - I thought he had a great game. Good in defence, arguably denied Barnes a goal following Almunia's parry, and provided a threat in attack too.

Faubert - Looked lost at times. Never in the right position to receive the ball when we had a break down the right, and when he did make a great run with the ball he followed it up with a poorly overhit cross.

Noble - Ran his socks off in the middle. I think he adds a bit more energy in the middle and linked well with Searsy when he came on.

Diop - Did his job to ok before leaving the field injured.

Collison - Looked very weak on that left hand side. One instance in particular he could have got to a ball fairly easily but seemed to back out at the last minute when challenged by a Seagull.

Nolan - Although he doesn't necessarily over-impress, he pounced on the mistake, and got us the goal which won the game. Won't argue with that. Like his sense of humour with that little jokey coming together with Harper too (old teammates - which Brighton fans obvious forgot about and took seriously).

Carew - He worked hard before being subbed. Target man again and in the first half didn't get much service, and was also unfairly penalised by the ref on several occasions. But worked well with the ball when he got it.

Subs

Sears - I feel his introduction probably won us the game. He added that extra spark in attack which we needed, as it was all Brighton at the time. It he hadn't come on and helped us with that extra bite moving forward, I think they would have continued with the heavy pressure and eventually got through.

Piq - Doesn't work as hard as he should/could. Did ok with the ball at times, but woeful miss at the end of injury time.

Baldock - Not enough time on the field to judge, but I guess his boots looked nice.

I feel at times it looked like we seemed content to invite pressure from Brighton. If it hadn't been for a few brilliant defensive interventions, and the fact they seemed almost wanting to walk the ball in the net then it could have been a far different story.

I thought our support was ok. Kind of sung in waves - a quiet spell followed by a decent spell, but nevertheless we always put our own unique stamp on things which makes our travelling following so great. But I think we easily trumped theirs. They made more noise when Fatboy Slim was on the pitch before kick-off ahead of any time during the match!

Finally, though the Amex was a decent stadium, well built and modern looking stadium. I know it's been designed to be expanded but I felt this make the corners look slightly bare/unfinished. But another record attendance thanks to the West Ham in the space of a week, and they did provide a decent Pie too!
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

I never felt Brighton were going to score - I dont think I've ever really been able to say that in all my time following West Ham! So credit must go to the team for defending as unit for 90 minutes.

However we must improve with the ball - it's not great to watch but just about acceptable when you win. I thought we looked better when Sears came on, a bit of pace and movement can make such a difference even if he isn't a great player.

The KUMB story summed it up perfectly for me. It's West Ham but not how we know it.
worboyes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by worboyes »

Only west ham fans moan about winning away from home against one of the better teams in the league, and about the new signing who scored the goal.

We cant always perform well, sometimes particully when a squad has a lot of injurys we are gonna struggle. I honestly think some of you lot have a default setting to misrable.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Regarding Noble's footballing "brain". Was the only player who spotted the danger when Brighton had a free kick just outside of our box, reacted first and quickly to it and put in a brave challenge that ended up with him dislocating his thumb. Sometimes it ain't all about what you do when you have the ball. Thought he was very good last night and merited the Kumb motm. Got forwards, tracked back, never stopped running, tackled, challenged for the ball, was always looking for the ball and lastly trying to make forward passes. Some might say thats a Captains performance.....some might say he was ****.........

Wasn't there and only watched on the telly, so not sure if its a valid opinion or not.

Well done Mark. :thup:
And UG to for another winning match thread. !!
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

bristolhammerfc wrote:For me Almunia is better than Green. Green at times can be unsure and quiet and I think this affects the defence.
I see what you mean but in my mind and to be fair to Green we haven't seen enough of Almunia to say that for sure. After all we've watched Green in 200 more matches for us - we're bound to pick up on more of his negative qualities.

Having said that, Almunia is certainly more vocal with his players and his distribution is a lot, lot better... Taking away his reputation from before, I feel confident watching his presence in goal, he looks assured. I'll be sad to see him go because I think he'd shine for us, but we can only have one.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

good defensive performance, no doubt, we could have done something more going forward tho.
brighton didn't create many chances, but we had even less.

and in the last 5-10 minutes of the first half and first 5-10 of the second we probably conceded 10 corners or more.
good defending for sure, but a more cynical side would probably get at least one goal from all those corners!

it is good and well to have a good defensive performance, but it was against brighton, last year in league 1, not on a great streak at the moment, so i'm a bit more worried by the complete lack of offensive play than happy for the defensive performance.
JimJams

Post by JimJams »

Apparently we were the worst ever seen at their new stadium :raver:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... mex-so-far" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
morganwhu

Post by morganwhu »

Great stadium and but what an absolute bollock to get to and from.

I was lucky as I managed to blag my way into the East Stand (purple) car park as I had to collect my duplicate tickets.

On the way out had a conversation with one of the car par attendants who told me the car parks cost circa £5k per car per season inclusive of a season ticket!

If you cant stump up £5k the only real option is to go to the game via public transport or use the park and ride (which is a 15min drive away!)

After the game the sight of tens of 1,000's of people queing to get on ancient coaches in the rain just to be ferried back to the car is enough to put me off ever going to the Amex stadium by car again - I can't believe they built the stadium with no consideration to parking, access etc.

However, I would love it if we had a stadium similar to that but slightly bigger and it looks good value at £93m - Brighton fans generated a good atmosphere at times and all sides of the ground were close to the pitch.

Only other criticism is there was f*ck all around the stadium but wasn't a major issue as the ground was open early and they were serving booze.

WHU ordered £900's worth of Pizza after the game which was being taken into the stadium as I was leaving. :D

Oh, and our support....... great in numbers, but terrible in noise and atmosphere generated.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Can I just make a little point. All the players who are currently playing for us, have some kind of flaw. Be it Nolan and his lack of fitness, Noble and his lack of speed or Cole and his lack of clinical finishing. But that is why they are at the club in the 1st place. Nolan scored more than Rooney last season. If he was the full package, he would be playing alongside Rooney. Makes it a little easier to accept when he doesn't close somebody down, or Cole misses a sitter etc. Just accept them for what they are, which is average-above average players. They'll sometimes do good things and sometimes make the simple look hard, but that's why we have them in the 1st place.
TheGavnor

Post by TheGavnor »

We could really do with a player like Noone in our side. He was unbelievable. Would give us more cutting edge.
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

JimJams wrote:Apparently we were the worst ever seen at their new stadium :raver:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... mex-so-far" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
Apart from this guy:-

"What are you goons talking about? They had the sort of nous and know-how that we lack, they got the lead and they defended it. They were never troubled, and they are probably the best team in the league. Anyone who couldn't appreciate how well they stifled us as a team, and the game as a whole, needs to open their eyes, or learn a couple of things about football. They were by far the better team. Maybe not the better team to watch, but that's completely irrelevant if you lose."
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

After the last few seasons we needed to change the whole way the team played. All good managers build from the back and I think we have the most solid defence we've had for years.
It's not always pretty to watch but I think we're going in the right direction.
The first few minutes quite a few of their players went over the top on our players ankles but all we heard was what great football Brighton play. In the old day's our players wouldn't of fancied it after that and we would have been push overs, not now!
We won and were second in the table and we're now hard to beat, hopefully the football will come as the team start to believe that they can beat anyone in this league.
Big Sams Claret and Blue Army. :crest:
TheGavnor

Post by TheGavnor »

Dannyboylister wrote:Apart from this guy:-

"What are you goons talking about? They had the sort of nous and know-how that we lack, they got the lead and they defended it. They were never troubled, and they are probably the best team in the league. Anyone who couldn't appreciate how well they stifled us as a team, and the game as a whole, needs to open their eyes, or learn a couple of things about football. They were by far the better team. Maybe not the better team to watch, but that's completely irrelevant if you lose."
:thup:
DannyboyDJL

Post by DannyboyDJL »

JimJams wrote:Apparently we were the worst ever seen at their new stadium :raver:
http://www.northstandchat.com/showthrea ... mex-so-far" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
...and this guy:-

"Just in case you had not realized, football is about winning matches, and this tippy tappy football ain't doing that this season. I really don't care how we play, just as long as we can go home with three points under our belt."

Ring any bells? Sure I saw this on KUMB a few years ago.
West Ham Matt
Karl Pilkington
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 583 likes

Post by West Ham Matt »

Dannyboylister wrote:Can I just make a little point. All the players who are currently playing for us, have some kind of flaw. Be it Nolan and his lack of fitness, Noble and his lack of speed or Cole and his lack of clinical finishing. But that is why they are at the club in the 1st place. Nolan scored more than Rooney last season. If he was the full package, he would be playing alongside Rooney. Makes it a little easier to accept when he doesn't close somebody down, or Cole misses a sitter etc. Just accept them for what they are, which is average-above average players. They'll sometimes do good things and sometimes make the simple look hard, but that's why we have them in the 1st place.
Spot on.

Each have their flaws.

But Cole is ****ing **** :lol:

(he has found his level here though)
Nacho Man

Post by Nacho Man »

Dannyboylister wrote:Can I just make a little point. All the players who are currently playing for us, have some kind of flaw.
Wait.. so your telling me we haven't actually got any perfect players in our squad!! Well I never!! :lol:
Dokaka

Post by Dokaka »

It'samazing to see the difference a manager can make regarding your defensive disciplin and organisation :thup:
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

jamesie wrote:I don't get to see many matches but last night was the only time I can remember that West Ham were defending a 1-0 lead and I wasn't s***ting myself! I thought we gave them the ball because we were confident they wouldn't break us down and I thought the midfield looked decent on the counter, particularly once Sears gave us some pace. Nolan was loads better than people have been describing him on here, defence looked solid apart from the odd rainy day slip. It wasn't an all singing all dancing slick passing performance but it was confident and solid and I enjoyed it. Even Piq wasn't as bad as I was expecting!
and there was me thinking we just didn't pass it terribly well, live and learn eh.