West Ham Utd 0 Bristol City 0 (01/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Re: West Ham Utd v Bristol City: match thread

Post by Yea Why Not »

Hammer Laffers wrote:
Tonight was one of those nights ...
Mate, I have managed to get to 4 home games this season. Tonight, Ipswich, Cardiff and Peterborough

So far I have seen the team score one lonely ****ing penalty

What ever way you want to look at it, at this standard that is ****ing awful
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

issi wrote:Is a shadow of the player we had when he was being coached by Zola, has added very little up front so far this season, Palace away being the best example I can give, such a change in the team when Carew came on for him. Maybe because of the style that we play nowdays, I don't know, he aint the same though.
Hasn't been great and Palace was probably his worst performance, but he has scored 4 in 8 starts and was nursing an injury throughout pre-season and into the start of this. He hasn't played as well as he did under Zola this season, no, but i mention again, he has only started 8 games.
Last edited by indiehammer on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Looks like we will be in the loan market with Reid out for some time....dont know who is out there in the premiership to cover?

But the one player I think we should be looking to get on loan for a couple of months is Maxi from Liverpool. He does not seem to be in the Liverpool squad at the moment & would give us much needed balance & width on the left hand side.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

MrHammer73 wrote: But the one player I think we should be looking to get on loan for a couple of months is Maxi from Liverpool. He does not seem to be in the Liverpool squad at the moment & would give us much needed balance & width on the left hand side.
:shock:
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Christ that was hard work. :lol:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Up the Junction wrote: Nobody worked harder than Freddie Sears tonight. If his shot that hit the post had gone in, who knows what would have happened after?

Fine margins...
From my seat, the frustration with Sears was due to the failure of the tactics. I am no football coach, but to me, (and everyone around me), that any straight ball was meat and veg to the Brizzle centre backs. To get anywhere, we had to go on the wings. Sears suffers from the same problem that plagued Kevin Keen. All legs and no distribution. The same can be said of Faubert. Baldock had a bad game, but I would have rather him stay on the pitch than Piq.

I read PP's muses and many times disagree, but our main problem is, (and yes Pinky, I now agree), we are playing with 10 men. Nolan is offering nothing. Despite being a big bloke, he is pushed off tackles too easily, and his attacking play is running as fast up fieled leaving the midfield depleted.

I have read many comments on here saying this sort of thing happens...but James did not have a ball to save the whole second half. No excuses, no positives, this was a **** performance. I can not get passed how many times we tried to lob the ball forward to centrebacks that "had our number".

Noble, man of the match? He worries me. Loads of endevour, but can not do the simple things. When he gets lucky, like v Leicester we all vote him man of the match. When he is sloppy and his long passes are off target, we face palm.

Just my opinion
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Up the Junction wrote:
According to Allardyce we had 19 efforts on goal tonight. That should be more than enough to win a game (if correct).
Should be, but it happens. I've seen it happen to far far better teams than us.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

19 Shots on target? Did James touch the ball, apart from Goal Kicks, the whole second half?
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

issi wrote:Is a shadow of the player we had when he was being coached by Zola, has added very little up front so far this season, Palace away being the best example I can give, such a change in the team when Carew came on for him. Maybe because of the style that we play nowdays, I don't know, he aint the same though.
You must have missed his 4 in 4 at the start of the season then pal. Still our joint top scorer despite being injured for the last month or so.

I think Sears did ok tonight, don't see where this hate is coming from. He started off well I thought but drifted off a bit in the second half but was always willing to run and make himself available.

T'was just one of them nights I'm afraid lads, there will be more like this before the season is out too! :thup:
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Hammer Laffers wrote:
Tonight was one of those nights ...
Yea Why Not wrote: Mate, I have managed to get to 4 home games this season. Tonight, Ipswich, Cardiff and Pompy

So far I have seen the team score one lonely f***ing penalty

What ever way you want to look at it, at this standard that is f***ing awful
Yep same here, my third home game of the season, so far I haven't seen us score 1 goal :shock:

I've seen us lose twice to a last minute goal and now draw 0-0 with the team bottom of the league, which quite frankly is ****ing ****!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Yea Why Not wrote: Mate, I have managed to get to 4 home games this season. Tonight, Ipswich, Cardiff and Pompy

So far I have seen the team score one lonely f***ing penalty

What ever way you want to look at it, at this standard that is f***ing awful
didn't we score four against pompey?!?
dimagician10

Post by dimagician10 »

Sweeney Bod wrote: Noble, man of the match? He worries me. Loads of endevour, but can not do the simple things. When he gets lucky, like v Leicester we all vote him man of the match. When he is sloppy and his long passes are off target, we face palm.
I thought he had a very good game v Leicester. However, tonight was unfortunately just what i've come to expect of him. He IS the most likely to make something happen but could he have slowed the game down any more? WHY does he insist on picking up the ball inbetween the centrebacks? He gets so deep he must have the bends at the final whistle.

Diop came on and allowed Noble to be further up the pitch which suits him much better. I found it interesting that Diop also looked to pass the ball forward from the off. (Can we have a side with Diop, Noble, Nolan AND Baldock?)

We were very narrow, which requires good movement or dynamic penetration.Tough in a side with little pace against a team playing with little forward ambition. McCarthy doesn't look upto speed yet and is often reluctant to cross the ball in first time or to go for the overlap. Several times in the first half he put his foot on it and looked for a square pass rather than a skidding cross across the box. How many times did players pass BEHIND a teammate tonight?

I could understand the Baldock substitution as he just wasn't contributing in the second half. Reid is a blow, a loan move required asap especially as Tomks & Faye have already picked up niggles this year.

Two points dropped but we're still 2nd and two very winnable away games coming up.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

RM6 wrote:Should be, but it happens. I've seen it happen to far far better teams than us.
Absolutely.

You may remember this one - it finished 1-0, the winners had 4 shots to the losers' 30:

http://www.kumb.com/report.php?id=352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Up the Junction wrote: Absolutely.
It does happen. I should get over it, but I am worried. It is the first time this season where the team we were playing "shut up shop" and hit us on the counter. They had two f*** off centre halfs, but little else. We never looked like breaking them. How many teams will come to the Boleyn and play the same tactics?

OK just one game, but boy it was bad.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Looking back on the Diop sub i think it made sense, we were coming into the last 5 or 10 mins can't remember, and while we needed a goal, if we had gone all guns blazing for that goal and got counter attacked on (which is how they played all night) and scored and we had lost the game it would of been a disaster. At least we seem to have cut out the mistakes and stopped letting in stupid last minute goals. We clearly had enough chances to score but just didn't have the finishing touch. Onwards and upwards still 2nd. :D
TheGavnor
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by TheGavnor »

warp wrote:didn't we score four against pompey?!?
Yes.

Unless the gentleman actually meant to put Peterborough. 1-0. MN (Pen).
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

aaaah, right! i didn't think about that, i more or less removed that game, that afternoon is very hazy in my mind :eh:
Romford Iron

Post by Romford Iron »

I would make a cheeky loan bid for Onuoha
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

Orange Hammer wrote:I don't think things are so bad. 2nd with a depleted and new squad with only a third of the season gone. Perspective is needed.

It amazes me how people still think we have some sort of divine right to win every week and look like Barcelona.

Accept facts we were a poor Premiership side for a long time, who eventually bit the bullet and went down. Was anyone really expecting to walk this league?

Taking everything into account I am not unhappy with the team or the club. Sure we are not playing attractive football all the time, but we are getting results most of the time. Some players have improved (Noble, Reid, Tomkins and Faubert) And we have some quality to come back

Having followed the club for a long time it seems to me that we have more bad seasons than good and this one doesn't feel like a bad one. The opposite in fact. Challenging and have a good chance of winning most games.

I Think people should take a step back and support the team. You never know, it could be a great season
-
What he said.... :thup:

There are some fickel f*ckers on here sometimes....play ugly and win - Moan, Bitch, Whine, Boo.....play OK and get a draw and not a loss - Moan, Bitch, Whine, Boo......Fkn hell, get a grip - we are still second FFS.....
Hayden
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Hayden »

I know we're bound to have those days when nothing will go in... But should Big Sam be saying he can't fault the performance after 19 attempts and no goal? I'd say a fault would be we need to make sure we convert at least one of them chances.