West Ham Utd 0 Bristol City 0 (01/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Bristol City: match thread

Post by Tarbs »

If Green hit a ball forward and it was 3' of the ground, Piquionne would still be be under the ball when he jumps to head it.
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

Piq is finished he's 32/33, he's always relied on pace, strength and height etc now he's age has caught up with him, it's showing as he is technically not that good, just relied a lot on the past with his attributes that have now diminished and he doesn't have the footballing brain or technical skill to make up for his age.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

About the Diop sub, personally I don't believe 0-0 in a frustrating game we're expecting to win is the right time to give a young kid like Hall his Championship debut. Confident or not, it's not the right environment and the kid doesn't need that sort of pressure when he is literally taking his first steps at this level. I believe he was on the bench so he could be introduced if we were winning comfortably and allowed to start his West Gam career in a relaxed pressure-free environment. It didn't happen last night do it'll keep for another day.

That being the case, if Sears has run himself into the ground and needs replacing, there was only one option, Diop. It's not that baffling a substitution at all. It's not necessarily reflective of Sam's tactics or outlook on the game. It almost made itself.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

James P it was when we played the final 15 with no left winger or Piq on the left wing which left us one up front 0-0 at home with teh bottom side in the league, I said at the time it would of made sense to take O'Brien off, go 2-5-2.
joyful

Post by joyful »

wasn't the dioup substitution to allow Nolan to push on and play almost as a forward? I thought that was what was happening?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I don't disagree with that reasoning James - but it still had a negative impact.

The real crime is that we are relying on out of position forwards/midfielders and kids to play left midfield whenever Taylor is injured.

Let's hope McCartney doesn't pick up a knock too.

We only have two genuine left sided players in our squad.
Aceface
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 1444 likes

Post by Aceface »

Piq is like Samson - he lost it as soon as he cut his hair. Those dreads were gone a few weeks after the Everton game and he hasn't been the same player since
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

I wasn't at the game so pulling info from various sources but was it not the case that Sears was out of steam. That's the impression I get from a number of posts I've read. If that's the case, then leaving him on wasn't an option surely? Replacing O'Brien for example may have made more sense tactically but if Sears was spent then you're playing with ten men effectively.

As I said I'm adding two and two and may be getting five but from what I'm hearing the substitution was made out of necessity rather than choice.
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

I heard what BFS said on Radio 5 Live when on the way home, if he thought that was a good 'performance' then he definitely needs to go to Specsavers!!

There were many below par performances - Nolan, Piquionne, Noble, Sears, Faubert even Baldock had a below par night although he received no service at all!!

How the 'Man of the Match' thing went to Mark Noble I have no idea - Abdoulaye Faye didn't put a foot wrong and was a real rock!

I thought initially that BFS was being arrogant during his radio interview but now think he was being defensive and obviously doesn't like being criticised - keep up the good work! :thup:
Marky
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by Marky »

James P wrote:I wasn't at the game so pulling info from various sources but was it not the case that Sears was out of steam. That's the impression I get from a number of posts I've read. If that's the case, then leaving him on wasn't an option surely? Replacing O'Brien for example may have made more sense tactically but if Sears was spent then you're playing with ten men effectively.

As I said I'm adding two and two and may be getting five but from what I'm hearing the substitution was made out of necessity rather than choice.
He was awful for the whole game. Shocking decision to play him
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Bishops Finger wrote: I thought initially that BFS was being arrogant during his radio interview but now think he was being defensive and obviously doesn't like being criticised - keep up the good work! :thup:
That and running your mouth to the media telling all and sundry that your players are useless c*nts does no one any favours. That stuff is best left behind closed doors.
fmgod

Post by fmgod »

James P wrote:I wasn't at the game so pulling info from various sources but was it not the case that Sears was out of steam. That's the impression I get from a number of posts I've read. If that's the case, then leaving him on wasn't an option surely? Replacing O'Brien for example may have made more sense tactically but if Sears was spent then you're playing with ten men effectively.

But as soon as Sears went off we had nothing down the left, if we took Sears off it would of made sense to either bring on Hall down the wing or even push McCartney down there, Piq went there for a bit but we went so narrow, so one sided it was even easier to defend against, add to that Cole up top on his own against half of their team, was absolutely stupid.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

James,

I agree about Hall. That was not the time to give him is debut

But why take off Baldock? As soon as he left the pitch I just knew we wasn't going to score. It's players like him who make space for others, force tired defenders into silly mistakes, get in behind the full back and the center half. He didn't have a great game but with a player up top working as hard as he does there's always a chance something might happen. Instead Fat Sam just wacks on the biggest, blackest subs possible, narrows everything up and hopes for a lucky goal with a long ball into a congested penalty area

That's not to mention the negative atmosphere the substitute created in the stadium
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

See below for the BBC min by min commentary and see if you can spot the link between the six efforts we had on target... (hint - look for words like comfortable, James and David)

11:49
Sam Baldock takes a shot. Blocked by Liam Fontaine.

13:34
Freddie Sears takes a shot from just outaide the penalty area and strikes the post.

27:55
Frederic Piquionne takes a shot. David James makes a comfortable save.

30:37
Kevin Nolan takes a shot. Comfortable save by David James.

45:00+1:48
Frederic Piquionne takes a shot. Comfortable save by David James.

45:00+2:22
Shot from deep inside the area by Freddie Sears clears the bar.

45:13
Shot from close in by Frederic Piquionne misses to the left of the goal.

46:47
Frederic Piquionne produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand post.

50:46
Neil Kilkenny concedes a free kick for a foul on Julien Faubert. Mark Noble produces a cross, James Tomkins takes a shot. David James makes a comfortable save.

55:28
Sam Baldock produces a header from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.

57:18
Kevin Nolan has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the target.

61:23
Kevin Nolan takes a shot. Comfortable save by David James.

64:50
Effort on goal by Julien Faubert from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.

73:36
Freddie Sears takes a shot. Comfortable save by David James.

74:15
Outswinging corner taken by Mark Noble, Frederic Piquionne takes a shot. Clearance made by Lewin Nyatanga.

79:55
Effort on goal by Carlton Cole from just inside the area clears the bar.

83:57
Effort from long distance by Papa Bouba Diop goes wide of the left-hand upright.

89:43
Mark Noble produces a headed effort from deep inside the six-yard box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.

90:00+2:23
Papa Bouba Diop has a shot on goal from long range that goes wide left.

:think:
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

Left Peterborough at 4.45pm yesterday. Made good time down the M11 then got caught up in the chaos because of an accident at Ripple Road. The A13 was gridlocked and we were crawling along. By time I got to Stokes Road where I always park there wasnt any spaces available nor down the other roads includind Roman Road, and it was 8.15pm. By time we would have walked to ground the second half would of started, also my sister had to get my Dads season ticket upgraded from senior citizen so not sure the ticket office would have still been open. Just turned round and drove straight home. After driving for almost five hours I was fuming and gutted for missing the match, but after reading the comments on here maybe I didnt miss much at all.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

fmgod wrote:But as soon as Sears went off we had nothing down the left.
Some could be justified in arguing this was the case all game :think:
Bishops Finger

Post by Bishops Finger »

Yea Why Not wrote:.....But why take off Baldock? ....
I thought Baldock had taken a knock and was limping a bit before being taken off - maybe BFS does know what he's doing after all - but then again if I knew as much about football as him...... :think:
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

Yea Why Not wrote:But why take off Baldock?
Because he was very ineffective, Doncaster were defending so deep he didn't have a chance to get behind them and was getting lost in the game .We were working the flanks quite well so Allardyce probably thought someone a bit stronger in the air would do more damage.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

i think the first half wasn't that bad, we had some good plays, kept the ball most of the time, didn't risk too much.
we weren't very bright, certainly not cynical, but got some good chances.

second half was worse, the players looked a bit frustrated and in a hurry to get a goal (like it was five minutes to full time, but from the beginning of the second half), so more long balls, and even more messy than in the first half.
they did park the bus, it was the first time this season we had to face such a situation, we might improve at that as well.

i was shocked when i heard that baldock was coming off, piquionne stayed on the pitch 45 minutes too much (well, actually 90...):
he missed two headers in front of goal with only james to beat, and i don't remember how many times, jogging back, gestured his teammates not to pass him the ball or to give it to someone else 'cos he was off side. he knew it, yet couldn't care to hurry back and help the team, giving one more option for the play.

a player doing that regularly as he did, should be taken off and never play again until he learns some commitment and respect for his teammates, manager and supporters. i'd rather have sears at CB and faye as a striker than piq again, unless he actually cares.

i thought fat sam was the kind of guy that doesn't tolerate such behaviours, but the sub maybe shows otherwise.

even diop in for sears was a curious sub for me. they never were a threat, their first shot in the second half came at 85th minute or so. cole for baldock was to favour the long ball, maybe diop was to allow nolan to go up.

i don't think the situation is that bad
also, at around 15 - 20 minutes in the second half, there was a burst of singing and proper supporting that lasted a few minutes. had it lasted 'til the end it would have been a great night even with a draw. players could have done better, supporters as well.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2425 likes
Total likes: 4251 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

sutts07 wrote: Some could be justified in arguing this was the case all game :think:
Sears was nowhere near as bad as implied..... but he's on a lot of people's "****-list".

Baldock's on their "love-list".

Sears was better than Baldock last night.