West Ham Utd 0 Bristol City 0 (01/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Bristol City: match thread

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:
Sears was nowhere near as bad as implied..... but he's on a lot of people's "sh*t-list".
Sad, but true .He put in a good shift last night .

Let's not forget the almost total dominance we had in the forst half .The game was played in one half of the pitch .

On another night we would have won easily - loads of chances .

That's not to say I think we played well , but we could have got a win .All is not lost .
fmgod
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 148 likes

Post by fmgod »

But if chance fell to one of them Baldock playing bad or Sears, I would still putting my money on Baldock.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Bubbles,

If Baldock got as much of the ball as Sears did last night he would of done more with it. Even though Sears did ok he was played the ball in decent situations last night but just didn't have the ability to beat his man

But yea, Sears was no where near as bad as some people are making out
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

I know it's probably a stupid wuestion, but where was Carew last night?
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

sjb958 wrote:I know it's probably a stupid wuestion, but where was Carew last night?
he went out after 30 minutes only three days ago, guess he wasn't in great shape.
moorobear

Post by moorobear »

Yea Why Not wrote:Bubbles,

If Baldock got as much of the ball as Sears did last night he would of done more with it. Even though Sears did ok he was played the ball in decent situations last night but just didn't have the ability to beat his man

But yea, Sears was no where near as bad as some people are making out
Sears has never and will never be a left winger, I cant remember him ever taking on a defender. But he wasn't to bad last night.

Baldock was right to be subbed, he hadn't touched the ball 2nd half and Piq was causing them more problems than Baldock.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Can't agree with you Pinky...thought Sears should have been the first one subbed in the 2nd half.

Just a bad day at the office IMHO. Wasn't really the tactics or anything...ball didn't run.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Romford wrote: Just a bad day at the office IMHO. Wasn't really the tactics or anything...ball didn't run.
Agree with you there though .One of those nights .
lukeWHU

Post by lukeWHU »

Sears is just not up to it. His final product (whether it be shooting or his final ball) just isnt very good. For all his endeavour, he is simply crap.

Faubert was awful. How can one player consistent produce poor crosses game after game. They are beyond poor....I think one ended up in the top tier of the TB stand.

Piquionne wouldnt be able to score if his life depended on it. Thats why he has never played for top club.

Back four looked solid. Faye and Tomkins had good games.

I doubt we would have scored if we were still out there now.
Steelyhammer

Post by Steelyhammer »

fmgod wrote:But if chance fell to one of them Baldock playing bad or Sears, I would still putting my money on Baldock.
Me too. Sears for me is being thrown into the deep end too quickly and he's not reacted as good as I first thought. It's got to be a confidence issue amongst playing actual games and within a team that's not getting changed around too much. He's got so much potential however in my view he's an average championship player who gets moved of the ball far too easily and that's not the attributes of a solid winger who can deliver.
moorobear

Post by moorobear »

lukeWHU wrote:Sears is just not up to it. His final product (whether it be shooting or his final ball) just isnt very good. For all his endeavour, he is simply crap.

Faubert was awful. How can one player consistent produce poor crosses game after game. They are beyond poor....I think one ended up in the top tier of the TB stand.

Piquionne wouldnt be able to score if his life depended on it. Thats why he has never played for top club.

Back four looked solid. Faye and Tomkins had good games.

I doubt we would have scored if we were still out there now.
Sorry but Faubert also put one one a plate for Piq - I will defend Faubert all day if I have to as some people need a reality check, the guy plays for West Ham, in the Championship, so every now and then he may shank one into the stands, he isnt and never will be a top class player, but he creates more than enough chances from wide positions.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Yea Why Not wrote:I agree about Hall. That was not the time to give him is debut

But why take off Baldock? As soon as he left the pitch I just knew we wasn't going to score. It's players like him who make space for others, force tired defenders into silly mistakes, get in behind the full back and the center half. He didn't have a great game but with a player up top working as hard as he does there's always a chance something might happen. Instead Fat Sam just wacks on the biggest, blackest subs possible, narrows everything up and hopes for a lucky goal with a long ball into a congested penalty area

That's not to mention the negative atmosphere the substitute created in the stadium
It did sound, on the radio, that from the moment Baldock went off we lost any chance of winning. Not because he was a threat, but it just made us even more one-dimensional, and Bristol were more than happy to soak up the physical ariel side of things

Up until that point, it sounded like we were doing pretty well, creating decent chances/half chances, and keeping Bristol under a lot of pressure (odd breakaway not withstanding). If it hadn't been for poor finishing, we may have won the game easily. I couldn't help feeling that if we got one they would be there for the taking, and I spent most of the game thinking it was a case of when we scored and went on to win the game, rather than if

It did seem that taking Balders off released any pressure we had Bristol under, and from that point I no longer felt we were going to win it, and was more concerned we were going to lose to a last minute Bristol goal

I have to say Sam's decisions seemed utterly baffling to me. Sure, he was limited in his options having to replace Reid early on, but I just don't get what he was thinking. Why he kept Piq on is a total mystery, only slighly more mysterious than why Nolan hasn't missed a second of our campaign so far.
The changes I'd have made was Cole for Piq, which would have allowed Balders to try and pair up with Carlton (something he seems to have done very well with Carew, but not at all with Piq) and hope the change might allow Balders to play a more effective role.
And I'd have taken Nolan off for Diop, which would have allowed Noble, the full backs, the 2 players on the flanks, to push a bit further forwards knowing their back was covered
In the end, I had no idea what sort of system we were attempting to play, how Sam was hoping to balance the side with the players he had on the pitch, and started being reminded of the dark days of Avram, when I had no idea what we were trying to do

A shame really, as for most of the game, up until the 2 later subs, it sounded like a decent performance, and fairly entertaining
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Faubert has some great games in the last 6 weeks...but last night wasn't one of them.

I'd actually had Nolan as my MOTM...that says it all :lol:
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

The reason we didn't win last night was because of those two nodheads on BBCLondon who were waxing lyrical first 20minutes saying we'd put a cricket score past them!

Had a sneaking suspicion this would be tougher than we thought.
Bristol City are not as bad as the table suggests.

Still. 7 points in a week against a good Brighton side away & 2 teams that have just sacked managers.
The old West Ham would have come away with 0.

All we need to do is keep picking up points to stay in contention by the new year.
Sam knows he needs more pace and creativity in the side. I'm sure we'll bring in a few new players in January.

Again I'd say no Collison, Carew, Landsbury, Taylor, Bentley, O'Neill & Demel.
Plus Cole, Green, Tomkins & Faye all coming back from injury and losing Reid early one.
Our squad is at the absolute limit right now and we're still picking up points.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

bubbles1966 wrote: Sears was nowhere near as bad as implied..... but he's on a lot of people's "sh*t-list".
Sears was better than Baldock last night.
and...
the pink palermo wrote: Sad, but true .He put in a good shift last night .
Can not really argue with the amount of work that Sears or Balldock put in to be honest, both players give their all and run their socks off! Sears work rate was just more evident as he had the ball at his feet while he did most of his running.

Unfortunately Freddie is just not cutting it though. He clearly suffers from a lack of confidence, is reluctant to take anyone on and was the reason for a number of our attacks breaking down last night. Either by holding the ball for too long or by his poor delivery.

Now admittedly he is not a left midfielder, but that is even more reason to take him off! As far as I can remember he failed to effect the game at all in the second half.

I am not looking to dig the kid out and honestly think he can be a useful member of our squad as an impact player, some fresh legs up top running at donkey defenders late in a game! But last night he contently ran into players and wasted too much of the ball.

I think people have been very patient with him to be honest, there is only one way to get off of people's **** list... he has to make it happen for himself!
RM6

Post by RM6 »

I feel for Sears I really do. Could do no wrong as a youngster, winning goal on his debut before he even started shaving and must have thought the world was at his feet.

100 games later he must be thinking where the f*ck did it all go wrong. I hope there's a player there but the longer it goes on the less chance there is.
hammersam

Post by hammersam »

the only defense I have for Piqqy is that at least when he challenges for the ball he doesnt give away a free kick everytime unlike COLE!

Every time hes near another player he commits a foul or ends up on his A***!

Then changing formation to the supposed 4-3-3 was utterly ridiculous! Why go to "4-3-3" when that formation is usually are keep it tight formation?

Should have been Hall instead of Diop all day...very negative in my books!
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Not sure what Faubert did wrong last night either... guess that is the bliss of football though... we all see it different!
:lol:

For me Faubert was our main outlet and threat. He worked hard both ways, put in some solid tackles, put in some great crosses and if his shot late on had been a few inches lower it would have broken the net.

Admittedly he also shanked a few crosses and gave the ball away a few times but who didn't??
The back four were solid but on a number of occasions gave the ball away too cheap.
Noble put in a tremendous effort but gave it away loads.
Nolan was a passenger for large parts of the game but when he was in it he pulled the strings.
Sears broke up more of our attacks than any of the Bristol defenders but nearly scored.
Piquionne was wandering all over the place. Baldock didn't really get hold of it. But both got into scoring positions.
Cole came on and although he looked rusty he had one off the line and one just over the bar.

Each and every one of our players had flashes of quality in the game, I guess it just comes down to how much you focus on their good and how much on their bad.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

One of our midfield 2 need to hit the box on a regular basis, we tend to hold back, Nolan and Noble should be looking to fill their boots at every opportunity.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 689 likes
Total likes: 1604 likes

Post by chalks »

sjb958 wrote:I know it's probably a stupid wuestion, but where was Carew last night?

knee injury, might not be fit for saturday but will be back after that

As for last night, I thought Baldock wasnt in the game at all, and anyway, just before he went off he pulled up after a challenge and looked pretty uncomfortable.

Sears was poor, no doubt about it. Noble I thought was very good, always trying to unlock a very stubborn defence. One goal and the game would have opened up.

As Romford says, just one of those nights. I actually liked the fact PBD came on, as we have clearly learned from the Cardiff and Ipshit games. This time we didnt lose the one point.........

Oh, and Faye was outstanding last night imo.