West Ham Utd 0 Bristol City 0 (01/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Bristol City: match thread

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Romford wrote:Faubert has some great games in the last 6 weeks...but last night wasn't one of them.

I'd actually had Nolan as my MOTM...that says it all :lol:
Good grief. Nolan was awful.
Cambs Iron
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Cambs Iron »

Romford wrote:Faubert has some great games in the last 6 weeks...but last night wasn't one of them.

I thought Faubert did quite well last night. Some decent crosses setup Nobles header at the depth. He also made some decent tackles tracking back, he looks like he has got a extra yard of pace this season but that might just be this league..... However i have only seen Faubert 2 times in the last 6 weeks so your probably a better judge!!

Nolan was awful last night IMO. He didn''t even seem to be as commanding and motivational as usual.
sutts07
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

hammersam wrote:the only defense I have for Piqqy is that at least when he challenges for the ball he doesnt give away a free kick everytime unlike COLE!

Every time hes near another player he commits a foul or ends up on his A***!

Then changing formation to the supposed 4-3-3 was utterly ridiculous! Why go to "4-3-3" when that formation is usually are keep it tight formation?

Should have been Hall instead of Diop all day...very negative in my books!
Tough game to throw Hall into really... Sam is a % manager and that sub would have been a big gamble. We were looking leggy in the middle and Diop made us more solid. If we had not used a sub up in the 6th min there may have been a chance to throw Hall on as a third forward.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Arch Dandy wrote: Because he was very ineffective, Doncaster were defending so deep he didn't have a chance to get behind them and was getting lost in the game .We were working the flanks quite well so Allardyce probably thought someone a bit stronger in the air would do more damage.
Arch no wonder he had a tough time scoring, we were playing Bristol City !!!!!!!!!

When we last played in the Fizzy Pop we struggled against teams who came and parked the bus. Other teams will take heart from City's performance last night and do the same. Be prepared for a long season unless we find a way to unlock defences. Either go wide (which we seemed to be doing early doors) or get behind them. Now if the opponent plays very deep we need to get to the by line and get crosses in from there. Tough when you play a right footed left winger who really isn't a winger. Although it was only the radio, it seemed very reminiscent of Bentley playing wide left, Sears had to cut back to his right which usually gives the defender an edge.

We have had no midfield creativity since Yossi left. As for waiting for us to have a 3-4 goals margin before Hall comes on, he might as well not bother showing up. Won't be too many 3 and 4 nil drubbings this side of Christmas I reckon. And I know I am harping on it but playing Nolan in a 4 man midfield is a recipe for disaster.

Subbing Diop was a certainty as BFS said a week or so back when we gave up another late goal "I won't being doing that again any time soon." (I paraphrased). He's not going to throw away 3 points when he has 1 and might nick 3. Get used to it.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Most glaring thing for me was yet again the lack of cover for Taylor.
Even if he is playing poor (which I admit he has done a couple of times this season) he can still put a quality cross in.

No real coincidence in my eyes that we were a real threat from set plays at the start of the season when Matty was fully fit.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hawkins_hammer wrote:
Good grief. Nolan was awful.
So were the other ten....hence my point
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Collins English Dictionary Definition (Meaning) of...

AWFUL

adj

1. very bad or unpleasant,

2. (Informal) considerable or great, that’s an awful lot of money, isn't it?

3. (Obsolete) inspiring reverence or dread,

adv

(Not standard) very, I’m working awful hard on my lines,

Heavily overused word today!
:lol:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

To be fair to Brizzle...their keeper didn't have much to do either.

I think they deserved their point...
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I cannot think of anyone who i'd say played worse than Nolan last night. First touch was awful, he lost all the second balls and genrally did nothing of note the whole game other than win a ball high up the pitch in the first 15 minutes to create a half chance

If you sewed that mans mouth shut he wouldn't be worth a pot of piss
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh !!!

8-)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Another positive from last nights first half .

Application .

When we surrendered possession we showed good application in trying to win it back quickly - certainly in the opening 20 minutes or so .

Our midfield were working extremely hard in that period . All of them .
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

I thought the crowd did well in the last 15 too :thup:
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Another positive from last nights first half .

Application .

When we surrendered possession we showed good application in trying to win it back quickly - certainly in the opening 20 minutes or so .

Our midfield were working extremely hard in that period . All of them .
From someone that didn't manage to see the game last night, that's good to hear :thup:

We're gonna need some of that against Hull. If Carew isn't fit (which according to DG is likely) we need to work extremely hard because Piq wont hold the ball up.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 747 likes
Total likes: 3415 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post match pressers, exclusively in full:

Sam Allardyce: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125789" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Derek McInnes: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125788" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

This is my problem with BFS....

Does he really think i am that stupid ??

We didn't play as well as on Saturday...and Noble wasn't the same player last night.

Baldocks lack of chances was down to quality from the centre and through the channels...and Fred's lack of winning a header.

It wasn't our night last night...thats all.

I wish he'd just be honest...
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Forgot to mention what a nice sight it was to see Amy Childs at The Boleyn yesterday, would have been better with her kit off though. :thup:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

You mean like the fact that we don't play 4-5-1, but play 4-3-3 Romford ?

Luckily enough most fans aren't that stupid and even if they all ain't the greatest football brains on earth, they aren't daft enough to follow that line of reasoning. And playing Kevin Nolan every minute of every game ? Shirley he has to bring more to the table than being a mouthy gobshite...???

I for one am completely baffled. Now whether or not Baldock was injured or just having an off day, he (sounds like and reads like) he is at least mobile and can play close to our one forward. Whereas Nolan can't. Waste of another mid field player. No mobility, no creativity and forces us to adapt our system to him. When we play 4-4-2, it leaves us well short in midfield. When we play 4-5-1 it leaves us short of options.

Bradley Allen was commentating on the radio. Mentioned more than once "West Ham have no plan B, nor plan C." Spot on.

Don't care whether we missed a lot of chances, don't care really whether we had an off day, it is fairly apparent that in most games (from what I saw, heard but most poignantly from you lads who go regularly) that we don't.

All in mvho that is.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Romford wrote:This is my problem with BFS....

Does he really think i am that stupid ??

We didn't play as well as on Saturday...and Noble wasn't the same player last night.

Baldocks lack of chances was down to quality from the centre and through the channels...and Fred's lack of winning a header.

It wasn't our night last night...thats all.

I wish he'd just be honest...
Sam is, if you like, the voice of the club. He speaks for the team before and after matches, whatever he says he will be critisised and at the same time lauded. Whatever he says he probably wont say things that all fans agree with, he could be honest and tell us all how we played badly and need to improve or we should start worrying. But whatever he says is going to rub off on the players and fans alike. He needs to be the most positive person at the club and try and keep everyone on the same optimistic wavelength.
He's come out last night and told us all how the team played well and if we carry on playing that way, we will do well. I'm sure he's incredibly frustrated at the fact we couldn't get the ball in the net, something which is the fault of the players, but rather than spout it all out in the media and bring the whole mood down around the club, he'll speak to the players about it in training, rather than ruin their confidence via the media.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

RyanWHUFC wrote:Forgot to mention what a nice sight it was to see Amy Childs at The Boleyn yesterday, would have been better with her kit off though. :thup:
She was lurvly. I had my pic taken with her, (I cropped myself out for public decency). Shame it was only on a crappy iPod camera

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

indiehammer wrote:Sam is, if you like, the voice of the club.
I thought Trap was?