Coventry City 1 West Ham Utd 2 (19/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hambrosia Stu

Re: Coventry City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

fmgod wrote:People moaning about Mccartney, on Saturday his passing was poor but at all times he had no one infront of him to pass to, noone to give and go to, what was he meant to do.
I do agree to some extent. Macca seems to play his best football when he has a genuine left winger in front of him that he can team up with, so the two of them move up and back the pitch in tandem. He tends to struggle if that isn't the case, and I agree he is far too keen on the hoof into the box from the halfway line. It's like if he hasn't got his winger in front of him, he doesn't know where to look for the pass, so just launches it into the box. Very frustrating at times, especially when you can see there are much better options on

As for Nolan, I guess I'm somewhere between Pinky & Bobby.
I do feel he has brought something very valuable, that we were seriously lacking. The ability to influence his team mates from on the pitch. Last season was as good an example as you could ever wish for as to how lack of leadership on the pitch can be costly. He keeps those around him honest, organised, in position and motivated. But his form is pretty bad. He has been, arguably, our worst player in a lot of the recent games.
Whether we are seeing all he has to give, or it's just the case that he is off-form I don't know. I'd say it's certainly too early to write him off as past it

We have 2 toughish games coming up (Derby & Boro) so I'd be surprised if Sam drops him for those games.
But I do feel everyone would benefit from him sitting a game or two out.
Firstly, Nolan himself may benefit. We've seen recently how Noble, now Cole, have missed a couple and come back far stronger and fresher than they were before. Missing out on a game or two may well give Nolan a necessary breather, would give him a chance to see his team from a different perspective were he watching from the stands, and may give him a gentle kick up the backside as well.
From Sam's point of view, it would also give him the chance to see how the team looks without Nolan, which for the longer term has to be a good thing. Nolan has played every game so far, but there will be a time, be it injury, suspension, where we are forced to play without him. It would be good to have a trial run or two, so when it does happen it isn't a great shock.
From the rest of the teams point of view, it would send the message that no-one is immune, and that you need to perform to keep your place. It would also give jack Collison, who imo is just about ready now to push on and get back to his best, the chance to play in his best position
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Re: Coventry City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by warp »

Hambrosia Stu wrote: I do agree to some extent. Macca seems to play his best football when he has a genuine left winger in front of him that he can team up with, so the two of them move up and back the pitch in tandem. He tends to struggle if that isn't the case, and I agree he is far too keen on the hoof into the box from the halfway line. It's like if he hasn't got his winger in front of him, he doesn't know where to look for the pass
of course he doesn't, nobody's moving in our midfield.