West Ham Utd 3 Derby County 1 (26/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

OxfordRobbo

Re: West Ham United v Derby County Match Thread

Post by OxfordRobbo »

Agree with most of the above. Thought Carlton showed his class and we were a level above Derby for the second half. :thup:
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 674 likes
Total likes: 1289 likes

Post by davids cross »

"but Mark Noble and Kevin Nolan couldn't get a grip of the game. So we put Jack Collison into midfield, changed to a 433 and those three talented players got us control of the match. It worked an absolute treat"

(Sam Allardyce 26 Nov)

And so it came to pass that disciple Allardyce saw the light.... 8-)
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Back to 4-5-1 for tuesday , but who will be the 1 ?
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

For the second match running we are **** first half and Sam changes it around and drives us on to the win, that's the Big Sam factor. He also is a great man manager, he has Faubert playing well, Collinson is almost coming back to form and even Piqioune is starting to play a bit better. Well done Big Sam no more lie down and die West Ham. :raver:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

ageing hammer wrote:For the second match running we are sh*t first half and Sam changes it around and drives us on to the win, that's the Big Sam factor. He also is a great man manager, he has Faubert playing well, Collinson is almost coming back to form and even Piqioune is starting to play a bit better. Well done Big Sam no more lie down and die West Ham. :raver:
This is becoming an all too familiar occurrence though...why isn't he getting it right first time, at the beginning of games? - we are regularly reminded that he is a manager of vast experience with tactical nous; where does all that experience and knowledge count if he can't get it right at the front end of games?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Last 3 games we've been awful in the first half...against a half decent side that will be curtains.

As many will say...we got the points...but we keep hearing that.

Got to get the best out of the side for the whole game...
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

A lot of mediocre performances masked by the win IMO.
Having said that, a great 2nd half team performance.

Noble and Cole were yet again our stand out players going forward.
All of the back '5' deserve credit for the way they have been playing, but a special mention to Green and Faye for yesterday.

Can't fault the work rate of Faubert and Collison but we have seen more quality from both in the past.

Nolan... Great strike!

Bottom line is we look like a team who will never be out of a game. You can't expect to piss all over teams week in week out at this, or any level. But we have the spirit to keep going and get a result now, which we previously lacked.
w6hammer
Has liked: 86 likes
Total likes: 80 likes

Post by w6hammer »

Gerblatz wrote:
This is becoming an all too familiar occurrence though...why isn't he getting it right first time, at the beginning of games? - we are regularly reminded that he is a manager of vast experience with tactical nous; where does all that experience and knowledge count if he can't get it right at the front end of games?

Sam is obviously setting us up the best way that he sees fit and telling our players to get a good quick start and get the crowd on our side asap.For some reason this has not happened in the last few games and the team hasnt produced in the 1st half.However the fact that we have won our last 3 games having not lead at half time and at coventry were behind shows what a good manager Sam is.Having the ability to change tactics/formations and to motivate the players to raise their game to defeat the opposition proves he is a good manager.Can you imagine the clueless buffoon before him grant doing the same..I`m happy with sam its winning football..
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

All we can do is keep on winning. Once Christmas is over, It won't be that long before the finishing post is in sight
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

miami-hammer wrote:Preview Percy !!!.

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=2966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nevertheless I'll go for a win for this one. With all the usual caveats regarding the notorious inaccuracy of this old fool's predictions I'll go for a 3-1 this week – and I have a slight suspicion that Bristol City might just surprise Southampton as well if you're looking for two bets to avoid!

:thup:

Check out the old sod's prediction for the opposition 'danger man' as well!
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

I thought collison got better as the game went on and his confidence levels grew, lately he has been running around alot getting into decent positions without really doing anything, yesterday paricularly in the later stages of the second half he was getting forward all the time but he was also going looking for the ball, demanding it and trying to make things happen, i've been a harsh critic of collison and maybe thought he wasn't going to contribute this season so his second half showing was great to see and very encouraging!
Just seen the clip of Allardyce bigging faubert up when he went to take a throw in second half, f*****g hilarious :thup:
ymcahammer

Post by ymcahammer »

you have to feel for collison playing out of posistion most weeks but still always puts in a shift, as for cole and faubert they should both be drug tested :o they seem to be different players of late, perhaps we have a crack dealer ast the training ground!
jimcollins65

Post by jimcollins65 »

Romford wrote:Last 3 games we've been awful in the first half...against a half decent side that will be curtains.

spot on. give a decent side 45 mins head start and its gonna be asking alot to keep coming back in the second half. so far we are doing what we have to to get the job done which is good enough for now
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Romford wrote:Last 3 games we've been awful in the first half...against a half decent side that will be curtains.

Agree we need to be better 1st half, but when we're not great the half decent sides haven't killed us off have they? Defensively for all the possesion the opposition may have we have remained solid giving us the opportunity to come back into the games. I'd be very surprised if any team in this league could get to a position at half time where its game over.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Also got to say what a lovely goal Derby scored...perfectly weighted through pass and finish that wouldn't have been out of place in the Champions league.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hammerdivone wrote:
Agree we need to be better 1st half, but when we're not great the half decent sides haven't killed us off have they? Defensively for all the possesion the opposition may have we have remained solid giving us the opportunity to come back into the games. I'd be very surprised if any team in this league could get to a position at half time where its game over.
Well as i was one of the very few on here who said the league was poor, before we got relegated, i know where you are coming from but had Derby got another and we hadn't got one back just before HT it would have been a totally different game.

We are having many things run for us right now...and the one thing i do know about this game is that it has a tendency of kicking you in the knackers quite often.

If we go in 2-0 down at the Riverside....where we have an awful record...then i know where the points will end up.
BeastieBoy

Post by BeastieBoy »

Summary of my day:

Friends come over from Berlin to watch the match. Me and the Mrs met them around midday by Oxford Circus. Central Line from Bond Street to Mile End and then District Line.

First half was terrible. Really poor football, and Derby are a team who seem to be able to shut down games. I've read some plaudits about Noble and Nolan on this thread, but apart from a couple of flashes of brilliance they were both a bit too poor for a home game IMHO.

Lucky we got the goal and then the second half was much better. We were always going to take the points after that.

Not too happy that it was quiet at the end of the match. Southampton had lost to Bristol City earlier. We were already second and about to go onwards and upwards, and our support can't even muster a really loud "Bubbles" during injury time. I was in the Trev lower and was trying my hardest to start it, but by then my voice was ****ed.

Winning 3-1 and moving within two points of the top is something we should be going a bit chicken about, but we seem to be taking it for granted. I put it down to the fact that we are playing ugly football and winning, and everyone I see around me each week seems a bit confused with what's going on.

Then the highlight of my day happened after the match. Was in The Boleyn and some **** with a Plymouth accent started on me for no reason. They know me round there and immediately at the front door I had 30 lads making sure this prick didn't get to have a pop. Then the lads who run the doors told me I was barred because they didn't want trouble in the future.

Cheers for that lads. 20 years of drinking in The Boleyn and you ban me yesterday because some tourist had a pop at me for no reason. You're lucky I'm a black belt in karate and I knew how to hold the geez off and stop him from hitting me, because this nutcase took about half a dozen swings at me for no reason. Geezer was battered. I even thanked the bloke's mate afterwards because he was holding him back as well and trying to slap him in the face himself.

Also like to add that the bloke took a swing at me and pushed me off the picnic table as I was about to kiss my Mrs on the cheek. Nuff said I think, and lucky I had one eye open.

After that, went to The Central and The Earl of Wakefield with very gritted teeth. Not a happy bunny this morning.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

So you took your friends and your missus into the Boleyn, the Central and the Wakefield - you really know how to give people a treat! :lol:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I'm on the side of the detractors as far as Faubert goes....Great phrase "Where attacks go to die"!

Seems apparant to me that O'Brien would do a better job there,when Demel merits a start....Not the pace of the Frenchman, but he doesn't use it anyway.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Incredible goal by Kevin Nolan. That's what I love about football. You're watching a match and suddenly something like that goes in to lift everyone. Perfect strike, too. What I like about how West Ham are playing is that you're fighting back after going a goal down. There's character in that.