West Ham Utd 3 Derby County 1 (26/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Simply Moore

Re: West Ham United v Derby County Match Thread

Post by Simply Moore »

Just got back, over chuffed with the result and even more so with the second half performance, we completely swept them away in the second half. Who would have ****ed it after such a dreary first half showing!!

I thought Collison was fantastic today, starting to look the player he was before the injury. He is so calm on the ball, a proper footballer. If I have a moan, it is probably with Tomkins today, I didn't think it was his best game, I hope his head hasn't been turned with all this transfer speculation.

Hope Baldrick's injury isn't too serious, looked like he pulled up with a hamstring though but hopefully it's not torn.

Did anyone see what happened in the away end? I'm in the chicken run and saw a couple of away fans getting nicked, not sure what for??
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

O it is good to see us come from behind and win!! Faubert was class today i thought and Nolan's goal was quality
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

dapablo wrote:that second half was a 4-3-3 as well wasn't it !
Yep and that's the best I've ever seen Piquionne play in that formation. His form is most certainly picking up, his getting on a bit now and he's becoming increasingly slow on the turn but he seemed very energetic today. Today we saw the Piquionne of 2010 and it's great that he's trying to earn his place in the team, could have had a couple of goals and was largely involved in most of our good moves, winning the pen and having one cleared off the line.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

west ham15 wrote:O it is good to see us come from behind and win!! Faubert was class today i thought and Nolan's goal was quality
I've seen that a couple of times in this thread re faubert, he overhit so many crosses from the right to the far area of the box that was normally empty as our players were in the middle, then when switched to the left he never beat th 1st defender, not class in my book, I'm not saying he was rubbish but he wasnt class. He was.....??? Faubert.
Carlton was top of the bunch for me but alround good performance.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The first half was as bad a half of football as I can ever remember watching .I actually started to nod off .Fortunately I woke up for the freekick and subsequent second phase of play that saw the on the day excellent Carlton Cole head home to equalise , squaring the game up after Derbys well taken but fortuetous opener .

The second half saw a much improved game , and a much improved effort from our lads, including an excellent goal from skipper Kevin Nolan, and a well taken penalty from the CTZ, who again continued his decent run of form .

Jack Collison continues his rehabilitation and gave an assured display , once again getting forward to good effect .

3-1 was probably the right scoreline but a fourth wouldn't have flattered us, and a second for them highly unlikely .

Tuesdays trip to the North East is likely to provide a tougher test , not least of which will be how Sam decides to line us up .

Taylor, Diop, Noble, Nolan, Faubert, Collison are all fit and available .
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Was a really really poor first half of lumping the ball up, second half we kept it on the ground more and actually looked threatening. Thought Noble was good, even though sometimes he looks like he's running through porridge. Faubert was good, wasn't class, few over hit crosses, still hesitates when taking his man on. That said his lobbed ball to Piq for his chance was superb.

Collison still looks indecisive when on the ball and sluggish. Looked more comfortable towards the end of the match. Defence was good, few mistakes made by Tomkins. Thought Mccartney and O'Brien did well. Piq was ok, Carew was ok, Cole was good.

Nolans goal was top top top class. Overall i thought he was okay, made a few defensive headers, lead the team, got involved.

If we play like we did in the second half for the whole game, i see no problems ahead.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Great second half display. Totally in control. Well chuffed. :crest:
claretnblueglasses
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by claretnblueglasses »

Even in the 10 minutes or so that he was on for, you can see why we've missed Taylor so much. Got quite a few delicious balls into the box that no-one got on the end of. Sweet left foot.
scousehammerette

Post by scousehammerette »

Well, I enjoyed watching that, and am now suitably ratarsed.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Great win :thup:
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Just come home, great result, first half we were poor second half we were brilliant.

Cheers to those in the first few rows of N6 for finding my phone after celebrating Nolan's super strike, during the celebrating my phone decided it wanted to fly over and try and hug Nolan himself.

Has anyone got a link/download for the game/second half
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Dire first half.

Superb second.

Just got back and massively chuffed
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Thank God we have half time, thats two games running we've played totally different in each half

Must be a BFS idea ?
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Pop Robson wrote:Thank God we have half time, thats two games running we've played totally different in each half

Must be a BFS idea ?
I think he plays the first half of let the opposition play, see where we can attack them and then second half attack and win the game!
bobo

Post by bobo »

Really pleased with today, so many of our lot today were having good games but it just looked a little disjointed. Second half we started to play as a team & we liked really really good! Derby hardly got out there half & it was so nice to see us dominate a game.

Collison out wide was Ok, Collison down the middle in a middle 3 was pure class & a big reason we dominated the game.

Nolan looked much better in a middle three.

Noble looks brilliant whatever at the moment.

Faubert was fantastic to watch & has really bought into Big Sam's football.

Cole was great & worked really hard which was a massive plus for me.

Best I've seen Piq since the begining of last season.

Faye was brilliant, such a good centre half.

Tomkins was steady apart from the goal (It's the West Ham way to get punished for 1 mistake) but I loved seeing him bringing the ball out of defence & going forward in to there half, been a long time since I've seen a West Ham centre half do that.

I really hope Baldock is Ok, looked good to start with.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

What is everyone seeing in Faubert that I'm not? I saw a lot of pace and industry but poor technique and overhit crosses.

On the other hand I agree with everyone else's comments. Although everytime Faye goes to pass I have my heart in my mouth.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Shocking 1st half, though we did create a few chances...2nd half we were a different team - great performance to blow them away... fantastic volley by Nolan :thup:
BoB_On
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 18 likes

Post by BoB_On »

Mart13 wrote:
Has anyone got a link/download for the game/second half
Can find anything we will have wait until after MOTD
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hawkins_hammer wrote:What is everyone seeing in Faubert that I'm not? I saw a lot of pace and industry but poor technique and overhit crosses.
You are not alone .I think the clue is pace .We have so little of it, we gorge on every morsel like it is a banquet .

His first touch on receiving the ball today was so poor on half a dozen ocassions we immediately surrendered possession .
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

**** first half, decent second

Cole's goal was hugely important because had we gone into the second half behind it would of taken about 10 minutes before some fans would of turned on the players

It was good to see us keep the ball so well in the last 10 minutes. Some really nice passing :thup: