West Ham Utd 3 Derby County 1 (26/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

westhamirish

Re: West Ham United v Derby County Match Thread

Post by westhamirish »

Anyone know where i can watch highlights of the match?
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The montage played at the start of the game on the big screens
Great memories!
Kev59
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Kev59 »

Every match we play, the opposition fans are keen to say how much better they played than us and how they were "unlucky", conveniently forgeting that they played with 9 behind the ball for most of the game, came hoping for a draw or a flukey 1-0 and, at the final whistle, they were ****ing off with nothing.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Kev59 wrote:Every match we play, the opposition fans are keen to say how much better they played than us and how they were "unlucky", conveniently forgeting that they played with 9 behind the ball for most of the game, came hoping for a draw or a flukey 1-0 and, at the final whistle, they were f***ing off with nothing.
Good point. I can't really remember any clubs coming to ours this season and actually REALLY going for us?
demonstimpy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by demonstimpy »

westhamirish wrote:Anyone know where i can watch highlights of the match?
I posted links to download the whole game.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Kev59 wrote:Every match we play, the opposition fans are keen to say how much better they played than us and how they were "unlucky", conveniently forgeting that they played with 9 behind the ball for most of the game, came hoping for a draw or a flukey 1-0 and, at the final whistle, they were f***ing off with nothing.
You're right. Leicester had a go at us when we played them but aside from that we haven't faced much quality at all this season. I've read in a lot of 'Opposition Views' how the opposing fans think they only lose against us by 'one piece of Premier League quality' and then go on to say how WHU aren't very good at all. Statistics have proven this season that we have been on top in the majority of games, sometimes equal but aside from Southampton (a) and maybe Ipswich (h) we've never been the poorer team. True to say, we start most games allowing the other team to have a go at us and show us what they're all about but not one team has taken advantage of that. I find it amazing that Derby fans think they only lost that game with one world class Nolan goal, considering they didn't venture out of their own half after the break.

I suppose if we've won 11 games out of 18 so far this season and most fans have said they were the better team, we're doing a pretty fine job.
rigoberts song
Has liked: 77 likes
Total likes: 331 likes

Post by rigoberts song »

The last 25 mins of the game we were coasting two goals up had another cleared of their line.
Derby never had a shot on our goal in the last 15/20 mins.
Even the the two Derby fans who went with us said we looked class and were certs to go up.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:Good point. I can't really remember any clubs coming to ours this season and actually REALLY going for us?
Cardiff, Leeds, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Leicester & even Blackpool came to the Boleyn to try & win the game. A refreshing change from the last time we were in this division when it seemed every team came & `parked the bus`.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Due to family commitments during the day I couldn’t attend Saturdays game, with it being on the box though I managed to watch it with my 3 week old daughter bouncing in my arms ……. Celebrating her first West Ham goals was an extremely rich feeling and though the game will easily be forgotten during the course of the season, I’ll remember it forever :thup:

The 1st half was poor and systematic of how we’ve played a lot this season. Second half completely different though, more effort to get the pigs bladder on the deck and stroke it around …… which I feel we don’t encourage enough of under Sam.

Cole was MOTM for the second match running, Noble was again the best midfielder. I actually didn’t think Julian played that well but showed endeavour and willingness. First mistake JT’s made this season though it was a well worked goal so credit where credits due.

Special mention to Faye ….. I’ll be the first to admit I wasn’t over chuffed on his signing, due to age and injury record, though the fella has been a colossus all season. So impressed with his is defending and he fits in so well whenever called upon. Its lovely to have such a strong player at the heart of the defence who is a man mountain, has the heart of a lion and is ****ing hard as nails.

Jacks game is coming on, it will take him a long time to get back into his stride and I fear that the successive injuries will stop him from reaching the level he was at when bursting on the PL scene under Zola (3 goals in 13 games on your first full season). However he’s starting to slowly improve each week and his effort is fantastic.

Shame that Super Sam had to come off so early. Think him and Carlton up front would ruin this division. His attitiude and effort is first class. His desire to succeed and impress is a real crowd pleaser.

Nolan’s goals was class and had premiership written all over it …… that was when me and my little one had a proper good jig around the lounge floor. Happy days
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

rigoberts song wrote:Derby never had a shot on our goal in the last 15/20 mins.
I didn't go on Saturday, had to make do with a bitty Sky Go stream on my phone in the car, but when the commentator said "Derby have to do something they've not done this season, score in the last 15 minutes of a match, twice", I was relieved.

Leicester made it scary for us by scoring late on when we were 3-1 up, but no repeat of that Saturday. We're unbeaten at home in two months, and unbeaten in six games.

Tuesday is a big game, a real test. A convincing win and I think we'll walk away with this league.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

roblo wrote: A convincing win and I think we'll walk away with this league.

Yep, win on Tuesday and a rather large gap starts to emerge.

Huge game, although a point would still be an excellent result
roblo
Has liked: 152 likes
Total likes: 121 likes

Post by roblo »

chalks wrote:Huge game, although a point would still be an excellent result
Without a doubt. Just seen they're still unbeaten at home this season (W3 D6 L0).
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

The best bit for me on Saturday was after we went 3-1 the game died completely and we just wound the clock down knocking it around not letting them have a sniff. It's been a while since I've seen a West Ham team do that.

Three goals, three points, still three clear of 3rd place, only two behind Southampton now who are surely due a run of injuries/bad form/bad luck at some point.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

sendô wrote:The best bit for me on Saturday was after we went 3-1 the game died completely and we just wound the clock down knocking it around not letting them have a sniff. It's been a while since I've seen a West Ham team do that.
Far better than at Brighton when we adopted the Johnny Wilkinson approach and kicked for the corners.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Having Allardyce as manager makes us an easy target for clubs to whinge. When we play hard and win, it's long-ball and they leave thinking that they have the higher ground. When we play well and win, they say 'Well of course they won, they've got better players than us'.

Two important things that have changed is that our defence has been solid and has not been chopped and changed. Only 3 centre-backs have been used all season. Compare that to this time last season when by this stage we'd already seen pretty much all of TBH, Gabbs, Upson, Tomkins, Reid in various different partnerships.

Those that complain about the direct ball or the ball going forward have a perfect example of why Allardyce likes it today. He likes the ball to go forward ot his striker early who will then look to involve the midfield. By doing this the he knows that his back 4 are in position to deal with any attacks. Yesterday, we gave the ball away in a poor area of the pitch whilst Faye and Linda were out of position. We got punished.

In the second half, Derby never looked like scoring, in fact during the whole game the only real time they looked like scoring was that singular moment when the lads were out of position.

You can argue all day long about the style, the panache, the skill the speed of play. But what Allardyce has done is given us shape. By keeping our shape we look a hell of a lot less like conceding goals. The goals we've conceded this season have usually been through individual error. Last season, more often than not it was through a lack of organisation. Regardless of anything else, it's lovely to see an organised and disciplined West Ham side.

And just to reiterate. Faye was monstrous at the back. As was Carlton up top.
kitthehammer
Has liked: 74 likes
Total likes: 303 likes

Post by kitthehammer »

sendô wrote:The best bit for me on Saturday was after we went 3-1 the game died completely and we just wound the clock down knocking it around not letting them have a sniff. It's been a while since I've seen a West Ham team do that.

Three goals, three points, still three clear of 3rd place, only two behind Southampton now who are surely due a run of injuries/bad form/bad luck at some point.
Quite agree. I think the Saints will suffer in confidence as soon as they lose their first match at home and i reckon that will come in the next month. A win v boro is vital for us. Once we are top we wont have so much pressure as southampton though because we have been consistantly inconsistant - mostly w,d,l every three matches but keeping up 2 pts a match.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

sendô wrote: Three goals, three points, still three clear of 3rd place, only two behind Southampton now who are surely due a run of injuries/bad form/bad luck at some point.
This.

Southampton have been playing brilliantly this season. We've been ok and we're 2 points behind them. I'd rather be us than them right now.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Also a better way than Derby's version of counting down the minutes [of the first half] which was to foul and waste time taking literally minutes to take corners, free kicks,goal kicks,throw in's.