Middlesbrough 0 West Ham Utd 2 (29/11/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

m-h

Re: Middlesboro v West ham United Match Thread

Post by m-h »

They undefeated at home, in all competitions and only conceded 15 goals in the league, same as us. They have
three home wins and six draws. Will be an interesting match up.
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

I would be happy to see us take a point from this one...very tough game - I am going for us to win it 0-2 - on the chance that SA will figure that we need to hit the floor running in this one. 451/433 for this - be interested to see who he takes if Baldock's injury keeps him sidelined.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Our toughest game since the Saints away game. Though we are in the position that it is not a "must win" game, it certainly is a "must not lose" one. We do not want Boro to reduce the gap. I can see Sam playing a very defensive game, hoping to hit Boro with the long ball. It will certainly not be a performance of flowing attacking football.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 173 likes

Post by brownout »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Our toughest game since the Saints away game. Though we are in the position that it is not a "must win" game, it certainly is a "must not lose" one. We do not want Boro to reduce the gap. I can see Sam playing a very defensive game, hoping to hit Boro with the long ball. It will certainly not be a performance of flowing attacking football.
So do I - after all it worked so well at Southampton didn't it?

Only when we bought Noble on and played two up front did we look like scoring at Southampton. Same at Coventry and apart from the error that gave us a goal at Brighton, same there. When we play two up front and keep the ball on the ground we look a good team. Long ball to a lone forward and we are mediocre - and I woudl suggest rather lucky the have got some of the wins we have managed - and without Green in goal we wouldn't have.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1165 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

A backs to the wall job, nick a goal and get out of town as quickly as possible with the 3 points that will in the final reckoning, seal us that promotion
durham city hammer

Post by durham city hammer »

If we start this game like we have started the last three they will be out of sight at half time, we really need to hit the ground running in this one and it's the way to play against this lot on their ground, Blackpool went at them the other week at the riverside and very nearly came away with the win, also these are pretty solid at the back so if we go behind we may struggle to break them down,
can't make my mind up who we should go with in midfield for this one, i thought the midfield three of collison, noble and nolan were very effective second half yesterday but i can see the logic of bringing diopp back in and also taylor for his delivery in a game where we may not get many chances! i think we can win this if we take the game to them a little more than we have been away from home,
if we are too cautious i think we will get beat one or two nil!
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Puff Daddy wrote:A backs to the wall job, nick a goal and get out of town as quickly as possible with the 3 points that will in the final reckoning, seal us that promotion
You are indeed BFS
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

durham city hammer wrote:If we start this game like we have started the last three they will be out of sight at half time, we really need to hit the ground running in this one and it's the way to play against this lot on their ground, Blackpool went at them the other week at the riverside and very nearly came away with the win, also these are pretty solid at the back so if we go behind we may struggle to break them down,
can't make my mind up who we should go with in midfield for this one, i thought the midfield three of collison, noble and nolan were very effective second half yesterday but i can see the logic of bringing diopp back in and also taylor for his delivery in a game where we may not get many chances! i think we can win this if we take the game to them a little more than we have been away from home,
if we are too cautious i think we will get beat one or two nil!
Your user name, would suggest you live in their neck of the woods and therefore, you may see more of this lot than I do, but from what I have seen of them, they seem pretty well organiised, break out quickly on the counter and most of their goals threat seems to stem from that, but that aside, they don't carry much else and look decidely dodgy at the back. So, I stand by my backs to the wall job and doing a Brighton on them. I think that is our best chance of coming away with the spoils
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

The 2 best defences in the league 15 goals concede each. Expect a 0-0 draw :lol:
I think we can turn them over they seem to draw a lot of games at home 6 this season and seem to be just off the boil.
durham city hammer

Puff,

Their home record looks very good on paper but actually they are similar to us in the fact they are easily rattled at home and theres a fair bit of aprehension there, what fans actually go to their games are very quick to get on their backs if they don't make a good start, but like us if they start well and get an early goal the nerves are settled and they become very hard to breakdown, they have made very hard work of alot of their home games this season which is why imo we need to make a fast and aggressive start and go at them, without being too reckless of course!
ironilunga
Has liked: 371 likes
Total likes: 1175 likes

Post by ironilunga »

The division is really taking shape now and I see Boro along with Soton, Leicester and Brum being our biggest challengers. Whilst the Boro match is only one game I think its hugely significant. It would be massive statement of intent to open up an 8 point gap between them and us. We could also potentially leap frog Soton and hit the 40 point mark.

Obviously a draw would be a good result. However, if we could manage a win I think it could be the platform to run away with this league.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

as others have said a very tough game and with Cardiff and Boro, breathing down our necks we really need at least a draw .
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Now is the time we take our foot off the brake and start playing attacking football in both halves, as ironilunga states above, we could open a nice 6 point cushion (not the 8 points iron states) over Cardiff in 3rd place and even take top spot on Tues with Soton playing a tricky one against Hull.

We have momentum and 4 wins on the trot is there to be taken.

We should not be afraid of Boro, they do seem to role over if we go at them from the start, hard and fast.

I feel they will nick a goal, but we will have a comfortable 1-2 win over them.

edit.. sorry ironillunga, you do state an 8 point gap between them & us, my bad! :oops:
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

I don't share the same optimism as everyone else in this thread unfortunately.

A cold Tuesday night up North after a hard fought win just a few days before is going to be huge ask. Our recent Tuesday night record is poor and on top of that this is a MUST win game for Boro whereas we can afford to lose it. They will be chomping at the bit to get to us, especially after their draw the weekend where they were 1-0 up and should have seen the game out.

All those elements for me equal a 2-0 defeat, I'd be delighted with a draw.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

We will play 4-5-1 we will defend all of the first half which will see us go in 0-0 at ht.Then we will twat the ball 80 yards down the pitch for most of the game and nick a winner from a set piece winning 1-0 and people will come on here and still moan both about the style of football and Nolan was **** what does he do usual type of drivel.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hammer83 wrote:We will play 4-5-1 we will defend all of the first half which will see us go in 0-0 at ht.Then we will twat the ball 80 yards down the pitch for most of the game and nick a winner from a set piece winning 1-0 and people will come on here and still moan both about the style of football and Nolan was sh*t what does he do usual type of drivel.
:thup: That's pretty much how as I see this game unfolding. I don't think it's gonna be pretty, it's not the night for expansive football; It's all about the result. Not sure our goal will come from an 80 yard twat down field, it might, but I would't bet against it coming from a set piece
NE hammer

Post by NE hammer »

Puff Daddy wrote:Our most difficult match of the season in my view. Make no mistake about it, they are gonna come out and go for us from the very first minute to the very last and will throw the kitchen sink at us. So,this will be a backs to the wall job, a la Brighton and calls for real men. Bald, unshaven men, playing with the hearts on their sleeves and their teeth out.
Agreed.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Trying to come up with players who have played for both clubs....must be more than one P.Ince......
Lord Snuffsbury

Post by Lord Snuffsbury »

Jabsco79 wrote:Trying to come up with players who have played for both clubs....must be more than one P.Ince......
Robbie Stockdale.

*Shudders*

Brian Deane also...
Last edited by Lord Snuffsbury on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durham city hammer

Jeremy alliadiere!