West Ham Utd 1 Burnley 2 (03/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

At 15 quid a ticket its nearly already sold out.
I havn't had a look for a little while, if so that's good. :thup:

Edit* Just had a look on the quick seats and there's only 1400 tickets left for it, going to be a good turn out.
Last edited by RyanWHUFC on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJH

Post by GJH »

sjb958 wrote:It's not that I would rather us lose, it's just that it was all pointing towards a loss today IMO and instead of being pissed off if/when we lose, winning £50 softens the blow somewhat. Of course I would rather see us win but I just knew we wouldn't today...
sjb958 wrote:
I've got a tenner at 5/1 on a defeat this afternoon, lets hope we lose like I think we will today...

Mmmmm..
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Collison showed promise in the first half, but not at the sharp end where there was less room.

Still just a "potentially" good player for me.

Half time I thought we had looked more dominant than at any time this year (Ive missed a few away games)Bad finishing and wrong decisions by all the attacking players contributed to our lack of goals.

We have looked so solid at set pieces and crosses,so how.....!

So many annoying things in the second half. Faubert not using his pace to carry the ball and crossing (badly) from deep. Nolan goalhanging when he should have been helping to create for the 3 strikers who were on.

Still it was a pleasure watching Mark Noble and Faye...they deserve better.

Dioup should replace Collison allowing Noble to get forward more and O'Neill(Sorry O'Brien) in midfild in front of Demel.
Last edited by irving boleyn on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by upton girlie »

The watching of the match might have been a bit better had I not had 3 loud mouthed Spanish, kicking chair twats behind me and two (balding) old codgers in front who, incessantly, rambled on during the full 90+ minutes....

Your arse looked pretty good in those jeans though UtJ, for one so old :D
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Think we are a bit too one dimensional....would like to see something different because I think Bristol City showed teams that we can be stifled fairly easily, and usually two big lumps at the back can better our one big lump up front......now we have gotten by the past few weeks but I think (only of course hearing off the radio and our Jules ain't that good of a commentator) we go too direct too many times, and because we don't get to the byline that often our crosses when even remotely decent can usually be nullified from the area of the field they come in from.
They didn't stifle us easily, infact they barely stifled as at all. I also don't think we went very direct during the game.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

First half it was mixed up a lot and when we did resort to hoofing the midfielders were up there supporting Cole, trouble is they werent very good, but the system worked.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Just arrived back from the game...my thoughts:-

Overall a good performance and a shame to see two goals from set pieces/crosses conceded. First half we made them look like a pub team, but didn't take our chances, or really force the issue. Scared to shoot in some positions?

Burnley scored their two chances in the game, but the delivery for both was excellent, something our set pieces lacked all afternoon. I think we'll be fine this season, we have a lot of quality, but the reaction after we scored was pure complacency, seemed to think that goal had won the game.

Disappointed with Burnley, they came and parked the bus, scored then parked the bus again, scored again and were playing up to the ref all game.

Individually:-

Green: 5 - Commanded box well, had very little to do, distribution was woeful.
O'Brien: 6 - Solid performance, some good challenges, didn't do much to support Faubert up the flank though.
Faye: 8 - Won absolutely everything, first touch was excellent, brought it up from the back and looked to pass to feet, questions over the lost headers for their goals though?
Tomkins: 6 - Not his best performance, but fairly solid. Made a few poor decisions that could have cost us. Again, questions over the lost headers for the goals?
McCartney: 4 - Dreadful. Put Tomkins under pressure continually with poor sidewards passes, didn't contribute going forward, refused to take on his man. We need a pacy, solid left back in Jan.
Noble: 7 - Great range of passing as usual, not enough movement in front of him.
Nolan: 7 - Solid game, great finish for the goal, should have scored in the first half. Still looks a little off the pace though.
Collison: 6 - A few neat touches, but the game passed him by a little today.
Taylor: 5 - Looked OK before he went off, obviously carrying an injury.
Faubert: 7 - Got forward well, faded in the second half and even further when moved to right back. Did well though.
Cole: 4 - Second best to most balls, movement was poor, came deep at the wrong times, touch wasn't right today. He seems to pace himself when he starts a game. The CFC we need is the one that comes off the bench with a point to prove.

Piq: 7 - Offered a fair bit when he came on, took on his man well on the left. Made some wrong decisions in the box though. What was he doing at left back for the last few minutes?!

Carew: Not on long enough to rate, didn't do an awful lot.

Hoping we can bounce back against Reading, no need to knee jerk but we looked a little toothless when plan A didn't work today.

:crest:
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Just got back from the post-match pub post-mortem - how the f**k we lost that game after the way we played them off the park is still beyond me.The conclusion was again a lack of ruthlessness when we had them on their arses. Not seen the stats for possession in the 1st half, but I'm struggling to recall if they managed to get in our half. When we got our goal, we just invited them on...again we eased up at home and got punished. Having defended so well and played some terrific football at times, to give away 2 soft goals like that sticks in the throat; more so as Soton got beat. We really should have been top of the pile tonight...
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

wizzo_66 wrote:
Faubert: 7 - Got forward well, faded in the second half and even further when moved to right back. Did well though.
Cole: 4 - Second best to most balls, movement was poor, came deep at the wrong times, touch wasn't right today. He seems to pace himself when he starts a game. The CFC we need is the one that comes off the bench with a point to prove.

:crest:
No dig, but somtimes I think I watch a different game to some. For me Cole done everything That was asked of him. He played the holding forward role perfectly in the first half. He held the ball up, allowing others to join the attack. However, when Piq came on, it was confirmed to me that they can not play together.

As for distribution, Faubert was Faubert. I can not get to grip with him. He puts in so much effort and his pace is scarey, BUT then he is prone to a lazy pass, or will lead to the end of a move with his shocking distribution.

Nolan certainly had one of his better games in the Claret and Blue.

I can not get over the paradox that our central defence is immense, yet we conceded two identical goals. And sorry the blame must go down to them.

We played well, but I felt the Piq substitution was detrimental to the cohesion we had shown. It was not his fault, but we did not look the same when he came on.
Last edited by Sweeney Bod on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

Cole 4 :lol:

Says it all.
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

I thought Carlton's control and first touch today was good
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

How do you know Faubert is fast,Sweeney?

I've read the press releases, but seen nothing of it.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

irving boleyn wrote:How do you know Faubert is fast,Sweeney?

I've read the press releases, but seen nothing of it.
Every week I see him roast most full backs. Perhaps we are in a division of amazingly slow defenders.
Posh-Hammer

Post by Posh-Hammer »

Gutted that we lost after totally dominating the game and playing some class football especially first half. I think they came for a draw then after Nolans goal came at us a bit more and we just couldnt find the back of the goal again. I think in the second half our final ball in let us down. Piq on the left? He played well but is no Matty Taylor and often drifted into the midde. In fact our front lline was pretty static in the second half. . not much movement at times. Never mind. Two sixty plus Hammers on the way out of the East Stand at the end wanted to have a ruck for a pushing incident. I mean ladies please, West Ham against Werst Ham what is this world coming to? Where has the West Ham family gone :shock:
Jarvo

Post by Jarvo »

wizzo_66 wrote:Piq: 7 - Offered a fair bit when he came on, took on his man well on the left. Made some wrong decisions in the box though. What was he doing at left back for the last few minutes?!
:lol:

Piquionne was awful today, shot when he should have passed, passed when he should have shot, spent the rest of the time strolling round and generally sporting a face that looked liked a smacked arse...and god forbid he closes the ball down!!
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

TheAlmightyAmmer wrote:I thought Carlton's control and first touch today was good
Don't see how anyone could disagree with that, he was bringing it down well on his chest and his first touch did look much better today.
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

We played pretty well, it just wasn't our day.

We've played worse than that this season and come away with the three points.

I think Collison, Nolan and Faye had decent games. Noble was dissappointing.
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

When you play for one-nil wins you are going to get mugged from time to time. Disappointing as instead of going top and being well clear of third we are within touching distance again. But a long way to go.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

wizzo_66 wrote: McCartney: 4 - Dreadful. Put Tomkins under pressure continually with poor sidewards passes, didn't contribute going forward, refused to take on his man. We need a pacy, solid left back in Jan.
Thanks for the report wizzo but your hatred for Linda is clear enough :lol:

The fact that you want a new LB in Jan - is that based on McCartney's form so far this season or this one particular game?

In my opinion he's been great this season if unspectacular. I could only listen to the game via radio today but the commentator said he put in numerous dangerous crosses.

Was he really as bad as you make out?
Maefteda

Post by Maefteda »

I wouldn't mind us having a cheeky bid for Givet when the season is over and we trade places with Blackburn. Would be a typical Big Sam signing.