West Ham Utd 1 Burnley 2 (03/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mywhufc

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by mywhufc »

The Rebirth wrote: Howe comes out with the typical b***ocks but so does Allardyce to be fair!
I suppose at least you and I arnt the only ones, were in good company
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1904 likes
Total likes: 1612 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Anyone watching the :asleep: Stoke Everton game ? Similar in that Stoke have everyone behind the ball at times, 7 or 8 or 9 with Stick up top alone. Frustrating Everton putting the onus on the Scallies to break down a well organised team. Something indeed that a majority on here credit us with being most of the time. Amazing to see that we call it well organised and tough to break down whereas the teams that do the same to us are "played off the park and only poor finishing let us down." Maybe a bit of credit to Burnley having a game plan and sticking to it.

Agree with Utj in that the only times I have seen and Heard Howe (SSN mostly) he came across as a pretty decent bloke with a good game plan most of the time. Didn't he work wonders at Bournemouth and iirc was touted on here as a quality replacement for Avi.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

I don't think it's a crisis, but with Taylor going off, Baldock injured and Bentley and Lansbury out, it does seems that we lack pace and most importantly, creativity. If Noble gets crocked then we are going to look very one-dimensionsal.
If we are going to add in January, then we need a centre back, but also some pace and flair.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote: According to Howe they defended well. According to BFS they didn't.

Judging by the formation b***ocks he keeps spouting I know who my money is on.

I haven't read it but in this instance he might be telling the truth. :D

A few off the top of my head, Nolan missed a sitter, Faye had two free headers and Faubert another header where he was unmarked. Collison hit the post, I think the keeper got his fingertips to it but a goal kick was given. Piq had a free header 6 yards out but couldn't get power into it as he was stretching for it and it looped into the keepers hands.

There were other chances too, that's' not including their last ditch blocks etc.

We weren't great [like most of the season] but if we'd been as ruthless as they were we'd have scored five.

I've got no argument with the result, we've done the exact same thing to other teams this season and people have lauded our defensive displays on here.

There's no need to panic as we've played worse and won and will probably our next game.

If you want a bit more entertainment then we could do with signing some players with some pace and skill, preferably a left footer as cover and competition for Taylor.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2625 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

kthammer wrote:I don't think it's a crisis, but with Taylor going off, Baldock injured and Bentley and Lansbury out, it does seems that we lack pace and most importantly, creativity. If Noble gets crocked then we are going to look very one-dimensionsal.
If we are going to add in January, then we need a centre back, but also some pace and flair.
Having Bentley out of the side makes us quicker.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Ahhhhhhh bollox!
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:Ahhhhhhh bollox!
Did you have the commentary on? Headbanger
WoodgateHammer

Post by WoodgateHammer »

jtsharpie wrote:the reason we are so inconsistent?
-
Here we go.........second place, two points off the lead, good goal average.....and some are still not happy LOL....fkn hell !!!!
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

First time I've been on here since the game, not had a chance to read some peoples comments on the game but my thoughts are that the first half we were excellent, maybe the best I've seen us play in a long time, some brilliant movement and passing, just lacked the finishing and it's games like this where we missed having a little striker who makes those runs into the box for the tap in.

Second half I think Big Sam got it all wrong, changed it all about when it wasn't really nessessary and Burnley put 10 men behind the ball at all times bar the counter attacks and there is only so much you can do when the opponents put everyone behind the ball to defend.

Credit to Nolan, his goal was great, nice touch on him dedicating it to Gary Speed as well. The fans were in full voice for most of the game, the STBL and the East stand notably.

We can't win every game and with us playing the way we did in the first half I was more than gutted to come away with nothing but that is football.

Bring on Reading!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

One of those games for me, what's more important is how we bounce back from a dodgy result and not a dodgy performance. We deserved more and didn't get it, as I say, it happens.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Clacton-ammer wrote:One of those games for me, what's more important is how we bounce back from a dodgy result and not a dodgy performance. We deserved more and didn't get it, as I say, it happens.
Totally agree. The only slight pearl of wisdom I might chuck out is we could have used one of our young nippy untried strikers. Big Sam using big strikers is all very well but we looked far far better and effective with the Baldock option. I'm still convinced Sears or one of the other youngsters would have been better than the harlem globetrotters approach but big Sam is the manager and I'm just a supporter and know f*** all.
Gazzaloz
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Gazzaloz »

It was just one of those games. The only disappointment for me was that we didn't show much fight after we went 2-1 down. Burnely looked very comfortable for the last ten minutes.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Gazzaloz wrote:It was just one of those games. The only disappointment for me was that we didn't show much fight after we went 2-1 down. Burnely looked very comfortable for the last ten minutes.
Spot on :thup:
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

There'll be two types of people:

1. We had our chance to go top and we blew it.

2. We dropped 3 points and even despite that, Southampton blew their chance to open up a gap. Their arse is definitely flapping.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

As the result was so disappointing I decided to give football a miss for the rest of the weekend.

I could not believe that we lost having finally got in front, I just didn't see that happening. I thought Burnley did well to recover from a long period of mediocrity to produce two well taken goals and walk off with the points.

Until they equalised I thought we played very well, unfortunately the chances that we created would have been perfect for Baldock, he is the one that makes the runs where he ends up in the danger zone. Nolan is the only other player who regularly seems to attack the six yard box. Cole and Piquionne do not gamble enough, they wait for the ball to be pulled back.

Hard to say if we threw the game away or Burnley mugged us. We have done it a few times ourself this season.

I thought our first half performance was as good as I have seen this season. I thought Noble, Collison and Nolan played at a much better pace than they have in the first half of other games recently.

The way Tomkins and Faye were playing you could not see Burnley scoring with two headers.

I think Saturday was a blip and won't do us any harm. I expect normal service to be resumed at Reading.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:2. Their arse is definitely flapping.
It would seem so, and I have felt for sometime it was just a case of waiting for it to start flapping

Sure, they're a good side, but I can't help feeling they have been playing slightly above themselves. Carrying the confidence on from last season. I have felt for a good while the test will be once they lose a couple, or lose their unbeaten home record, and see how they respond

When we have lost, so far we have bounced straight back (touches wood!). The way this league is, you are always going to get the odd shock defeat. Rememeber Gillingham, Rotherham, last time around. It's how you react, rather the actual defeat that is the important bit, imo. I imagine Sam will make sure he gets a positive reaction against Reading

It will be interesting to see how Soton do over the next month or so, now their invincibility has been dented, as it seems the doubts have started to creep in
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Don't want to be over-critical, but it was interesting how badly defended both their goals were. For the first Faye doesn't get off the ground and Julien (as usual) is not goal side. But it was a good cross and a good header.
On the second, from a corner, one of their main strikers is given a clear header with Nolan turning his back on the threat.
We've been great at the back this year, but those were two badly defended goals.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

kthammer wrote:Don't want to be over-critical, but it was interesting how badly defended both their goals were. For the first Faye doesn't get off the ground and Julien (as usual) is not goal side. But it was a good cross and a good header.
On the second, from a corner, one of their main strikers is given a clear header with Nolan turning his back on the threat.
We've been great at the back this year, but those were two badly defended goals.
Agree entirely - nearly every game I have been to we have generally dealt well with the same kind of balls that ended up in two goals the other day. At any level of football you do the basics wrong at set pieces/crosses you get punished.
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Did anyone see Allardyce's interview on the Football League Show, he blubbered up when the interviewer mentioned Gary Speed, makes you feel for the guy.