West Ham Utd 1 Burnley 2 (03/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

riksdodgydeals

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by riksdodgydeals »

I have only found 5/1 Stan any time
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

It's going to be a 4-3-3 with Picky starting I reckon.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

Piq will be the lone striker, we only have two fit strikers and sticking them both on from the start will leave us short of options on the bench.

Green
Joey
Tomkins
Faye
Linda
Faux Pas
Noble
Nolan
Collison
Taylor
Piq

2-0 Irons. :crest:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

.........................Green...................
Demel....Tomkins.....Faye.......Linda
.........................Noble......................
Faubert.....Nolan.....Collison....Taylor
............................Cole.....................
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

I reckon Cole'll start, especially as it's at home, I feel he gives us more as an attacking force where as Piq was useful away at Middlesbrough. PIq could start alongside him a la Derby (in the second half after Baldock left the pitch), but I don't think he will.

Green
Demel Tomkins Faye McCartney
Collison Nolan Noble
Faubert Cole Taylor

3-0, 1 in the first half from Cole, they'll come at us in the second and we'll hit 'em on the break through Nolan, and we'll rub salt into the wounds in the last minute through Freddie Piq.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Returning Jr Stanislas will want to show us we made a mistake...but Burnley are an archetypal second tier side imo.

As suggested in the Boro fans' comments (on home page), WHU are a squad that, on paper at least, should be stronger than the also rans of the division.

Some of our performers from the decent November run are now surely indelibly written onto Sam's team sheet. In that category I'd put Green, Tomkins, Faye, McCartney, Nolan, Noble and Faubert. Each playing well, as an individual and as a part of a team.

Not sure to whom he'll turn for the RB position; Demel had a decent debut by all accounts, but needs to develop match fitness. JO'B might be a touch miffed to so easily lose his place.

I'd personally dispense with Diop, unless, for one reason or another, Burnley look capable of exerting a grip on the middle of the park. Collison might be a more creative option, if we're likely reliant on a single forward getting support from Cap'n Kev.

P:M's selection.

Green

Demel-Tomkins-Faye-Linda

Faubs-Noble-Collison-Taylor

Nolan
Piq

Subs
Stech
JO'B
Diop
Carltinho
+1 depending on availability.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

As we all know there are no easy fixtures in the Npower Championship , and we need to respect the point at all times .

This has never been truer than against a Burnley side, in 14th place, 16 points below us , who have already won four times on the road this term - including wins at Derby, Hull and Millwall .They have bags of goals in them and as such we need to send out a decent defensive line up with at least two holding midfielders .The home fans will understand as promotion is the only target and entertainment way down anyones list of why they go on Saturdays .Fans love winning games .

So, first up , make us hard to beat , grind down the visitors attacking flair and instincts , and go for a set piece opportunity to nick it one nil , and three points, late in the second half .

Predicted selection

-----------------------------------Green----------------------------------------

Demel-----------Tomkins----------------Faye------------MacCartney

-------------------------Diop---------------------O'Brien----------------------

Noble---------------------------Nolan -------------------------------Taylor

-------------------------------------Piquionne---------------------------------

Obviously Nolan and Piquionne to sit deeper when we don't have the ball .

1-0 to us, 89th minute, three points, just behind Saints .More than 2 points a game for automatic promotion being achieved .
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Must try harder pinky.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Must try harder pinky.
Fit of pique ? :)
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

http://www.clitheroeadvertiser.co.uk/sp ... _1_4023594

Perfect, we play best if team open up and let us play. I think we will score more goals than anyone who tries this against us especially at home. Blackpool opened up for 10 minutes against us and let in 3.
Knaphill

Post by Knaphill »

From what I've seen this season, Burnley seem to play best in all out attack mode. I think this is the perfect team for us to be playing right now, were on fire and finally have the winning mentality in the side. This could turn out to be one of the more exciting home games this season with plenty of goals and chances for both teams - I'm going for a 4-2 WH win.
Hammer Smith

Post by Hammer Smith »

Match preview from BBC...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15901825.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dynan1

Post by Dynan1 »

Stanislas vows to get his revenge at Boleyn

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sp ... at_Boleyn/
JUNIOR Stanislas is ready to strike a blow against the Hammers, and make them regret letting him go.

West Ham United boss Sam Allardyce has already expressed his concern that Stanislas and Zavon Hines could come back to haunt him tomorrow.

The former Blackburn Rovers and Bolton manager allowed the duo to join Burnley in August.

And Stanislas hopes to fulfil Allardyce’s fears and sink his old club with his first Clarets goal.

“That would be good for us,” he said.

“If I can go there and score that would be great, but the result is the most important thing, and if we get that it will be a good day.

“We’ve had good results in the last two games so hopefully we can continue that.”

Asked if he felt he had a point to prove, he added: “A little bit. But their manager’s got a job to do. He has to try to get them promoted and if I’m not going to be part of that then I wanted to be somewhere I could play week in, week out. As long as I’m playing I’m happy.

“Sam said I was in his plans but the season started and a few games went by and I wasn’t really featuring.

“I played in the Carling Cup and made one other appearance but it wasn’t enough for me.

“He’s a straightforward guy and a nice guy, but from my point of view I had to move on.”

The 22-year-old was on West Ham’s books for around 10 years before leaving in August to join ex-Hammer Hines at Turf Moor. And, although he admits to having a tricky bedding in period, Stanislas insists he has no regrets.

“It hasn’t really been hard but obviously it is a big move coming from London. At the time we’d just had twins as well.

“I wouldn’t say it was a difficult time but it was a big change,” he said.

“It was very difficult to leave because I’d been there for so long. It’s the club I grew up at. It just got to a point where I wanted to play more frequently – week in, week out.

“I wasn’t getting that there and the gaffer here wanted me so that was it.

“Gianfranco Zola gave me my debut, and I thought I would play quite a lot of games after that.
“When he moved on managers went with experience and it was a lot harder for the younger players to make an impact.

“I’m here now and playing, which is what I wanted.

“The manager’s given me the opportunity to do that, which I’m thankful for.”

Stanislas faces pressure for his place in the line-up from Ross Wallace, who is available after missing Tuesday’s 4-0 win over Ipswich through suspension.

The Londoner boosted his cause with a couple of assists, but said: “I think there’s a lot more I can do.

“To be honest it’s taken me a little while to settle in and get used to things but hopefully from now on you’ll see more improvement.

“I was pleased with the game the other night. We’ve had some good results after losing four on the bounce.

“Up until then I don’t think I’ve played anywhere near the level I’m capable of. Maybe that’s due to match fitness and sharpness. But hopefully now I can push on.

“I want goals. I’ll do my job with the assists, but I used to score a lot. I’d rather get the goals than set them up.

“But getting a run is the most important thing.”
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Good interview there from Stanislas. Saturday a side, I hope he does well
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Yea Why Not wrote:Good interview there from Stanislas. Saturday a side, I hope he does well
He does sound a bit gutted not to be with us really, understandable, and I concur.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

After the last few years, scrub that...last 35 years, I always have that feeling that we can grab a defeat out of the jaws of victory. However, I am slowly coming around the view that we do atucally have a good team for this division. There has been ample proof lately that the team are really starting to gel, and we have the ability to control any game we play. Of course, there are no easy games in this division, but in honesty, we are a cut above Burnley.
Simply Moore

Post by Simply Moore »

Their manager is talking bollox, they will sit back and hope to hit us on the break.

0-0 written all over it :lol:
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

This could be a tough game for us, but as I thought at Boro, if we get in front I think we will win. I like the fact we are not throwing leads away and have come from behind in the last two games to win comfortably.

Holding out to win games with clean sheets, killing teams off in the second half - I like the new West Ham.

A win and another clean sheet please.
Pepin

Post by Pepin »

Lets burn Burnley.
4-0 for mighty Irons (Matt Taylor with brace, Le Frog one and Mark Nobel one from penalty spot) and top of the league after this weekend.
COME ON YOU IRONS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whizzer
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by whizzer »

HamburgHammer wrote:Any reason why no one's suggesting to give Sears a start in Baldocks absence ? At home we should really try and play with two strikers, so why not play Sears with either Piquionne, Cole or Carew, see how it works out and then maybe change it to 4-5-1 after halftime if need be.

Give Sears a chance to play in his natural position as a striker, who knows ? He may turn out as a Baldock in disguise.
At least he gives us some pace and I could well imagine the little fella being a nuisance running rings around all those Burnley defenders...
Probably because he has only scored 3 goals in 74 appearances, sadly he is not good enough even for this division and shouldn't be anywhere near our 1st team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Se ... statistics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;