Reading 3 West Ham Utd 0 (10/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mickyg1960

Re: Reading vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by mickyg1960 »

I don't get this "Jack isn't the same player he was before his injury" bollx - Jack had potential before his injury, same as now, but please, he was nowhere near the finished article back then.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

mickyg1960 wrote:I don't get this "Jack isn't the same player he was before his injury" bollx - Jack had potential before his injury, same as now, but please, he was nowhere near the finished article back then.
That's true. I think we all saw a tall blonde home-grown player who played a bit like Stephen Gerrard and thought that was what we had. This season he's been poor.The stats might show that he gets through a lot of work but he doesn't seem to make the passes or runs let alone goals.
If only....
Location: Wondering why WHU is not on the thrillseekers list of the most extreme rollercoasters

Post by If only.... »

If I was the home team seeing our team sheet with just Piq up front would really encourage me. I'd know I could press forward with minimal risk and that West Ham were relying on the break and getting our rather slow midfield forward.

What is it with Demel? Have we bought another permanently injured player to add to our list of awful signings?
What is Matt Taylor's fitness recoed like over his career?

If we sign anyone in January they need to be match fit already and have a good record of being available.

Four games coming up against teams in lower half of the table. We need to get some three point results before we start on some tough six-pointers.
Post Horn Gallop

Post by Post Horn Gallop »

Sams got to be shagging either Piq or his missus. How can he keep picking him? WE got mullered down the both wings AGAIN yesterday. Got to get a couple of decent full backs in come January.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

One thing thats forgotten...Reading in the first half were shocking.

Had we attacked them with two strikers and got the goal...

All this bad stuff about Jack...last few games he's been our best player.
roblo
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by roblo »

Anyone had a whinge about the atmosphere yet?
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Romford wrote:One thing thats forgotten...Reading in the first half were shocking.

Had we attacked them with two strikers and got the goal...

Agree with that, Jack has been running his ass off for the past few games, Him and Faubert didn't stop yesterday.
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Jacks been brilliant recently, if I'm honest I was happy to see him react like that yesterday, Ok he may have cost us but we was two down anyway and it will affect us having him out for 3 games but at least he's shown that he's passionate about his football and playing for us.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

roblo wrote:Anyone had a whinge about the atmosphere yet?

I didn't think it was that bad from us...Reading , as usual, showed themselves up for what they are.

Just read that the Goon Slag who manages them said that "None of my players would ­deliberately take the micky out of a fellow ­professional"

Same old Arsenal than eh...its drilled into them from a young age Headbanger

Just glad that we only have to visit that tin pot town very occasionally
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

"Jack's been our best player" as part of the "best squad in the division"...

We have a decent back four and a quality goalkeeper,one striker who on his day can be a handful,and one defensive mid who could be productive if not stretched all over the place

Thats all.

The rest is very average.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

The only bad thing I've just realised about Jack being out for 3 games now is Lansbury is just returning to fitness and after Collison's good form of late I just hope Lansbury doesn't sneak in front of him in the starting line up if he has a good 3 games whilst Jack is out.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

irving boleyn wrote:"Jack's been our best player" as part of the "best squad in the division"...

We have a decent back four and a quality goalkeeper,one striker who on his day can be a handful,and one defensive mid who could be productive if not stretched all over the place

Thats all.

The rest is very average.
If you think we have 2 decent full backs...i'm must be watching a different team.

IMHO of course
m-h

Post by m-h »

Just read through the thread. Didn't hear, watch, see the match yesterday, but last week felt we may have become a little to "one" dimensional and therefore easily sussed. Could the same be said for yesterday or just put it down to anotherone of those days.

Need to change things up a little to keep the opposition guessing. Are we playing it safe too much and being to predictable.

Personally would like to see what some of the Academy players could bring to the team, or are they really that poor. Guess we'll never know. That said, the five man sub rule doesn't help.
Last edited by m-h on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Why is everyone so harsh on Lansbury? :lol:

Fair enough hes not ours, but hes needed and is a very decent player on his day. If he comes back and plays well then Jack will just have to his work way back like anyone else would.
upton girlie
Purveyor Of Half-Time Confectionery
Location: "Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 64 likes

Post by upton girlie »

miami-hammer wrote:Didn't hear, watch, see the match yesterday...
See, there are benefits to living in Miami :wink:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I have accepted we DO watch different games,mate. Jack, apart from a few nice touches when having plenty of room in his own half last week, has proved to be lacking in all areas when at the sharp end of things, except effort,of course, which is valued so highly.
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

miami-hammer wrote: Personally would like to see what some of the Academy players could bring to the team, or are they really that poor. Guess we'll never know. That said, the five man sub rule doesn't help.
Im sure TC has said he rates the current crop as one of the best we've ever had.
RyanWHUFC

Post by RyanWHUFC »

The Gibbins wrote:Why is everyone so harsh on Lansbury? :lol:

Fair enough hes not ours, but hes needed and is a very decent player on his day. If he comes back and plays well then Jack will just have to his work way back like anyone else would.
I wouldn't say everyone is being harsh, but the last couple of times before he was injured he was an average player not playing very well IMO, Jack has come in since then and IMO played brilliantly, his movement against Burnley I thought was superb and his linking up with Faubert all game and if he can get a consistent run I believe he can still improve as a player, but obviously he hasn't done himself any favours getting sent off yesterday.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

Post Horn Gallop wrote:Sams got to be shagging either Piq or his missus. How can he keep picking him? WE got mullered down the both wings AGAIN yesterday. Got to get a couple of decent full backs in come January.
If we had a couple of decent natural wingers, this would not be such a massive problem for us. We've had Noble, Collison, Sears all playing in wide positions over the last year or more. Faubert and O'Brien haven't done a bad job for us this year though.

I'm hoping a fit squad going into the new year will sort a few issues out though.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Just watched the highlights again, what on earth was Piq doing for the first goal, if you track his movement when they are in the box after his initial headed clearance he is just stood there not sure where to go.

The more I see the Collison sending off, the more I think 'Good on him for not putting up with that' just a shame he got sent off for it and will now miss the next 3 games.