Reading 3 West Ham Utd 0 (10/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

saludo de carlitos

Re: Reading vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by saludo de carlitos »

I can take losing, but that was awful. I remember walking out of The Boleyn after losing 5-1 to Leeds United and thinking how proud of the team I was and that they couldn't have given anymore. Thats how we should be losing not like the limp effort.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Romford

You have been consistent in your thoughts about the way we play away from home.

I happen to like the fact that at every away game we have gone into the second half still in the game, that is a luxury after the last god knows how many seasons.

I will accept that the football is not particularly good at times, but to me there are two things that are stopping us playing the way we want to play.

Injuries to Taylor, Cole and Baldock mean that we are constantly missing one or more of our best chances of scoring in most games for some time. The fact that we have been on a winning streak is a real bonus in my eyes.

We have had very little opportunity to play all three in the same side because of Baldock settling in and then Cole's and Taylor's and now Baldock's injuries.

These three are the focal point of our attack and Sam knows it, but how often have all three been fully fit and available.

We have had to use plan B which has been very effective . I would be more critical of the football if Sam was leaving any of these three out if they were fully fit. Baldock was brought in gradually but you can see he is the missing link. We have been crying out for a player like him for years.

My other observation is that it doesn't matter what tactics you play, they all go out the window if you can't retain possession. Our central midfield consists of three good footballers in Nolan, Noble & Collison. But in some games this season they have all played the same game - equally bad. No alternative available - nobody to run at the opposition - just slow ponderous build up because there are no good options on the pitch. Last week we had Taylor and Cole on the pitch - the result - good decent paced football. (we still lost :D ).

We need Taylor, Baldock and Cole on the pitch to play good attacking football, without them we are pretty average as an attacking force. Nolan can pick up scraps with these three on the pitch, without them he is just another slow paced central midfielder.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Hockley Hammer wrote:Romford

I happen to like the fact that at every away game we have gone into the second half still in the game, that is a luxury after the last god knows how many seasons.

I will accept that the football is not particularly good at times, but to me there are two things that are stopping us playing the way we want to play.

Injuries to Taylor, Cole and Baldock mean that we are constantly missing one or more of our best chances of scoring in most games for some time. The fact that we have been on a winning streak is a real bonus in my eyes.

We have had very little opportunity to play all three in the same side because of Baldock settling in and then Cole's and Taylor's and now Baldock's injuries.

These three are the focal point of our attack and Sam knows it, but how often have all three been fully fit and available.

We have had to use plan B which has been very effective . I would be more critical of the football if Sam was leaving any of these three out if they were fully fit. Baldock was brought in gradually but you can see he is the missing link. We have been crying out for a player like him for years.

My other observation is that it doesn't matter what tactics you play, they all go out the window if you can't retain possession. Our central midfield consists of three good footballers in Nolan, Noble & Collison. But in some games this season they have all played the same game - equally bad. No alternative available - nobody to run at the opposition - just slow ponderous build up because there are no good options on the pitch. Last week we had Taylor and Cole on the pitch - the result - good decent paced football. (we still lost :D ).

We need Taylor, Baldock and Cole on the pitch to play good attacking football, without them we are pretty average as an attacking force. Nolan can pick up scraps with these three on the pitch, without them he is just another slow paced central midfielder.
Re-above highlighted points.
That'll be the Cole that BFS reckons cant play 90 mins in consecutive games and young Baldock who so far hasnt really truned up away from the parish of E13, yet that is exactl;y wehre our best form has been.
And I seriously think you don't have the ear of BFS for a second.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

Maybe i'm not quite seeing the bigger picture but i'd say BFS's tactics are pretty much the same home and away 4 5 1, he can dress it by saying West Ham have been shocking for years and now it's about getting results but that formation is like sticking everytime on 15 at blackjack.It's too negative for my liking and if your lone strikers having an off day ....your screwed.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:
I'm all for giving the bloke a clump. Just make it in a 50-50, somewhere else, later in the game and give him some verbal as he gets up, or even in the return fixture, if you have to
Hockley Hammer wrote: Precisely - I learnt that at fifteen following a sending off for reacting to an off the ball incident. I can still see the coaches face screaming at me from six inches, frothing at the mouth, The lesson - don't get mad on a football pitch - get even.
Exactly I've done several people in 50-50s to get even, you just pick your moment. Mind you I also once copped a ban for beating the f*** out of someone in the car park after a game because his manager subbed him to avoid me doing him on the pitch. :lol:

Saying that I can understand Jack doing the bloke, stupid but hopefully a lesson learnt. I clapped him off because from where I was it looked like a nothing challenge and I just thought their bloke was making a meal of it as usual.

I think it was about ten minutes before Joey walked that I turned to my son and predicted we were going to get mugged but didn't predict the way it happened. Can't believe that their bloke who did Joey for his first yellow didn't get a straight red, bad foul followed by raised hands meant he should have gone.

We were comfortable without dominating until the first red IMO. Piq and Nolan were ****ing awful it was obvious that neither of them were going to be any use all day.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Thing is, he didn't even do the bloke.
What he done was a cowardly, petulant, half hearted kick.

Knowing full well he wasn't going to hurt the bloke or teach him a lesson and hope it wasn't enough to get sent off.

Kebe made him/us look daft, but just made Collison look even more stupid by getting him sent off.

If you're gonna do the bloke and if you're going to teach him a lesson, then give him a proper clump.
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Collison didn't cost us the game our **** aimless long ball punt tactics did.We did not make their keeper make one ****ing save a total disgrace the best we would have got was 0-0 if it stayed 11 v 11.
Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer »

BFW

What is your point exactly? I say in my post that injuries are stopping Sam putting out his best team which affects the way we are playing.

I know Cole is suffering with injury, but he turns to him at the first opportunity which indicates to me he is our main man.

He has brought Taylor back as soon as possible each time he has missed games.

People were saying Baldock wouldn't play away from home but he started in the Coventry and Hull games before his injury.

I don't get the ear of Sam comment - certain players seem to be the core of Sam's side, injuries to these are bound to affect the way we play. In the circumstances with up to three vital players missing games recently I'd say it is going pretty well.
m-h

Post by m-h »

taffhammer wrote:Maybe i'm not quite seeing the bigger picture but i'd say BFS's tactics are pretty much the same home and away 4 5 1, he can dress it by saying West Ham have been shocking for years and now it's about getting results but that formation is like sticking everytime on 15 at blackjack.It's too negative for my liking and if your lone strikers having an off day ....your screwed.
One dimensional and the emphasis on the one. We are making it to easy for the opposition. Its all well and good if we scoring goals, but the moment the one up top goes off the boil, the harder it gets.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

Hockley Hammer wrote:BFW

What is your point exactly? I say in my post that injuries are stopping Sam putting out his best team which affects the way we are playing.

I know Cole is suffering with injury, but he turns to him at the first opportunity which indicates to me he is our main man.

He has brought Taylor back as soon as possible each time he has missed games.

People were saying Baldock wouldn't play away from home but he started in the Coventry and Hull games before his injury.

I don't get the ear of Sam comment - certain players seem to be the core of Sam's side, injuries to these are bound to affect the way we play. In the circumstances with up to three vital players missing games recently I'd say it is going pretty well.
I thought my point was fairly obvious. Contrary to your claim Cole and Baldock are not his must have offensive players, Taylor is but is proving to be as reliable as a Nissan cherry.
straco69

Post by straco69 »

i think the hopefull return of Lansbury may offer a different option from midfield, with a bit of pace and running at them which is clearly what we currently need.
Hockley Hammer

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Fair enough BFW.

To me he uses Cole to get in front at home games and brings him on to try to win away games thus taking account of his injury issues to give him the right amount of time on the pitch. Piquionne and Carew have had flashes of form, but he turns to Cole when he can.

In my opinion that makes Cole his main striker, Piquionne and Carew are the squad players getting games because of injury.

In my opinion Baldock will come straight back in the side when fit because he gives more options for the ball in the box to feet and in the channels behind defenders.

That is my basis for saying they are his preferred strikeforce. Of course I could be wrong.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

irving boleyn wrote:Their Forum seemed alright to be honest.
Presumably you weren't around these parts six or seven years ago when we had to deal with the soppy little c**** on a regular basis. Turned out one of them who was making some particularly nasty racist comments was only 14 (we know this as his head teacher phoned me to ask if I wanted him suspended from school).

So the stories about them ****ting themselves when fronted seem about right. Nothing's changed there. The archetypal all mouth, no trousers brigade.
jimmy dean

Post by jimmy dean »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Thing is, he didn't even do the bloke.
What he done was a cowardly, petulant, half hearted kick.

Knowing full well he wasn't going to hurt the bloke or teach him a lesson and hope it wasn't enough to get sent off.

Kebe made him/us look daft, but just made Collison look even more stupid by getting him sent off.

If you're gonna do the bloke and if you're going to teach him a lesson, then give him a proper clump.

:thup:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Anyone know how the bloke was that got hit with the bottle after they scored their first?

Little chav who threw it started laughing giving it large, then when he was pointed out to stewards so I hope he got nicked
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Romford wrote:
I said at Coventry that the Boring one was playing with fire...i've seen quite a few very lucky results on the road this season.
This is becoming a common thought it seems....
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote: If you're gonna do the bloke and if you're going to teach him a lesson, then give him a proper clump.
We were all saying the same thing at the time. That's all I can say I'm pissed off with Jack for.

Either properly clump the bloke or don't do it at all.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hockley Hammer wrote:Romford

The last god knows how many season we have been playing in the best league in the World....and i said a year ago that this Championship is not the League some make out.

If we had gone into each away game actually looking to attack from the first minute then i personally think we'd not only have more points but we would have half the teams beaten before we kicked a ball.

As for your point about fit players and the same side...you seem to be watching a different team to me. We haven't played the same side because the manager keeps chopping and changing. He hasn't a clue who our best centre-back pairing is, our best central midfield pairing or our best striker is. You will try and blame injuries...but BFS hasn't allowed the team to settle and get into any sort of flow.

People have been having a pop at Piq about his poor showing at Reading....but have forgotten his great performance less than a fortnight ago up at Boro in the teams best away win of the season.

Does anybody know what the team will be on Saturday ?? Think that sort of sums my argument up.

In my 30+ years of supporting this club...something like that doesn't help.

As for your argument about Baldock.....are you telling me he was a regular centre-forward because i can tell you he wasn't. At away matches (he was picked) he was chucked out to the right of midfield.

Taylor is not pacey at all...but we do miss his great quality for set plays. I think we should be looking at other options than the current "If Noble fancies it" option.

We have no settled spine to this team...and that isn't down to injuries. Its down to a bloke with a very big ego who tinkers far too much with the team and is more worried about losing that winning.

IMHO of course.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

The bloke sets us up so negatively, we have no pace or width most of the time.
It's just dire stuff and it's had an effect on the away support to, people are fed up of having nothing to support.
hammer1975
Has liked: 978 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

straco69 wrote:i think the hopefull return of Lansbury may offer a different option from midfield, with a bit of pace and running at them which is clearly what we currently need.
lansbury - pace?

the only time I've seen him move quickly was when he took out a player at ipswich when he was getting annoyed about how ***** we were playing

nolan and lansbury iin the same midfield is awfully unbalanced iimo