Birmingham 1 West Ham Utd 1 (26/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jimcollins65

Re: Birmingham v West Ham United match thread

Post by jimcollins65 »

A point at brum isnt the worst result in the world but after the first half and being in total control it feels like a defeat. What happened in the second half ffs. Is it the managers style and tactics or is it the players who arent good enough?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

richneal wrote:
Agreed mate. But the bit that really gets me is that it's our football that's shocking - we can never control what other teams do, but, as you state, you'd think we should be able to string a few passes together. But on today's evidence, we can't - no with this midfield, with this team, and apparently not with BFS running the show.

And enough of this delusional 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 rubbish. For most of today, we seemed like we were playing a 9-1-1 . . .

I'm off to finish me Christmas gin and be grumpy somewhere else.

Your lucky mate...im stuck watching Stoke !? :lol:
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:No ones forgot how sh*t we've been, doesn't excuse how negative we play under Allardyce though, it's disgraceful and gives us nothing to support.
People are also forgetting we are playing in a much worse standard of league this year than we were in the last 3 years.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

I'm shocked by the amount of people saying they don't mind watching long ball if its "done properly"

No matter how properly its done, its not pretty
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

It's not the result though, it's the way we go about it.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

stubbsy07 wrote:People are also forgetting we are playing in a much worse standard of league this year than we were in the last 3 years.
:thup:
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:Time wasting
I wasn't conscious of the time wasting TBH. I felt the ref bottled it and succumbed to the crowd.

As for the suspensions? Teams that show commitment pick them up. Teams that pussy foot around and allow the opposition free rein don't.

We should be big enough - squad wise - to carry the odd rush of blood.

I don't find myself reaching for the term spineless about this season's team.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Will be interesting to see the team for Derby and who Captains it.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

ihateroeder wrote:I can suffer a bit of 'hoof' ball when played well I.e punt forward held by someone, lay off and attack. However what I witnessed were hopeful long balls that either were not with 10 feet of one of our team, or not held up by the front man. But in the instances where we managed to string together 3+ passes we looked far more threatening, do the math BFS !!!
More threatening going forward, maybe. But then the point of Allardyce's sides is that they play direct football to enable the back 4 and defensive midfielder to keep their position.

As Pinky says, a few bookings, some time-wasting, but Allardyce will be thinking about the point and pissed off about the loss of 2 points. Keep what you have and live to fight another day. We've gone to a decent side, missing half of our back-four, and two of our best attacking threats and are coming home with a point.

I agree with a small amount of the posts on here, but I'm looking at it as I was when Avram Grant was here, I'd seen some positive things and everything that's ever happened has taken time. If you don't like Allardyce's football now. Well you're never going to like it......but I tell you what folks, it's a lot easier to watch when you've been able to bring in some quality footballers and are taking points off the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool. That will only happen with time, but then we're at least travelling towards that situation much quicker than we are travelling towards the situation that Charlton, Leeds and Southampton have experienced in the last few years by being every one's biggest game in League 1.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Turns to Stone wrote: More threatening going forward, maybe. But then the point of Allardyce's sides is that they play direct football to enable the back 4 and defensive midfielder to keep their position.

As Pinky says, a few bookings, some time-wasting, but Allardyce will be thinking about the point and pissed off about the loss of 2 points. Keep what you have and live to fight another day. We've gone to a decent side, missing half of our back-four, and two of our best attacking threats and are coming home with a point.

I agree with a small amount of the posts on here, but I'm looking at it as I was when Avram Grant was here, I'd seen some positive things and everything that's ever happened has taken time. If you don't like Allardyce's football now. Well you're never going to like it......but I tell you what folks, it's a lot easier to watch when you've been able to bring in some quality footballers and are taking points off the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool. That will only happen with time, but then we're at least travelling towards that situation much quicker than we are travelling towards the situation that Charlton, Leeds and Southampton have experienced in the last few years by being every one's biggest game in League 1.
100% agree with that. It's not going to change overnight, it will take time. We are second in the league and on the right track and that is good enough for me.
NorthBankAlliance

It won't change though if we go up we will be parking the bus next year and playing the same hopeful balls forward.
Not worth the hassle.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

davids cross wrote: Me ? More deeply ? I'm totally superficial Pink...... :
Come on, I know you want to say it , I'll bump the who's enjoying what we're watching thread to get things going if you like ... :lol:
Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Even Stoke Bloody City play more football than us Headbanger
10 Iron

Post by 10 Iron »

Headbanger ****ing Hell. Two handballs, **** pitch, and a partridge in a pear tree.

The Rams should be interesting after their win against the Dirty Leeds. Got to be a Wetherspoons for an early start for this one.

How the hell are we second? Imagine these performances in the Prem!!!!!
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

the pink palermo wrote: Maybe not , but brainless wouldn't be too far from the truth .With Reid and Faye both injured , Ilunga bannished what on earth was George thinking ?

Nolans, as we both agree , should have been a red - a 3 game ban rather than one .Faubert ? Just dumb .

This isn't a new thing with me - Piquionnes red card at Goodison last season was for me the moment we went down .

As for the cynical professionalism - I've seen it in recent years : Parker , away at Wigan following, i think, Coles dismissal, wound up Cattermole to the point he couldn't resist going straight through the back of him , and got a red to balance the numbers .That was a brave and professional bit of play by Parker .Nolans tackle tonight was that of a coward and a thug .
It depends on your definition of brainless.

Piquionne's (allbeit spirited but ultimately) foolish celebrations led to us losing a game we could have won.

Nolan's actions today in my opinion were more about a captain showing that a player who had been brought on for his professionalism and his disruptive play would not be allowed to dictate the game to us and that we have professional and disruptive players of our own. Nolan did not get sent off for his foul....it wasn't pretty, and he's been suspended but he showed Zigic that he couldn't f*** about with West Ham....wouldn't it have been lovely if someone had done than to Zigic last February in the semi-final?

Nolan's tackle was a bad one, and he could have gone....but it was hardly scything, and he's a central midfielder who's just picked up his 5th booking of the season.....in his 22nd game. Hardly the behaviour of a thug in my opinion.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

the pink palermo wrote:what on earth was George thinking ?
I know what I was thinking, "is that the most ridiculous booking I've seen a ref give all year?"....
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Let's hope the fans turn up at Derby. I felt as if I was a fan of a muggy little club today by how few we bought up
NorthBankAlliance

stubbsy07 wrote:Let's hope the fans turn up at Derby. I felt as if I was a fan of a muggy little club today by how few we bought up
Surely your fully aware of why we didn't take many.
Anyway quality over quantity.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

stubbsy07 wrote:Let's hope the fans turn up at Derby. I felt as if I was a fan of a muggy little club today by how few we bought up
Are you going ?