Birmingham 1 West Ham Utd 1 (26/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Re: Birmingham v West Ham United match thread

Post by Happyhammer52 »

Brum fan in peace wrote: As for Zigic, you're more than welcome to the lanky uncoordinated c*** in the Jan window. He gets sarcastic cheers from us whenever he wins a header. But three of his best games at the club came against you.
;
We don't want him, just don't want you to have him either :lol:

How is Rooney doing for you this year?
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

To me it was another typical performance of the season so far.

I know we have a lot of injuries etc, but almost all the games I've seen (from my armchair) have been played in the same way.

That is how we play.

The Barnsley manager called it right last week. For most of Sam's big time career he has been managing teams that have had to punch above their weight to survive. To do this, he has developed a playing style that is based on percentage football with big strong players in vital positions. He has created teams that become hard to beat.

And that's what we are in this league - hard to beat. We play well in very short spells and rely on the strength of the squad to do what's required, and that's about all. Every now and then we will put a bit more together and give some poor opposition a thumping. But for the most part, we are doing just about enough - and we are still in second.

Sam knows how to survive - and he is applying those principles to the best squad in the league, and achieving the dullest promotion ever seen at West Ham.

Other than injuries, discipline has been letting him down of late. Reading was an unmitigated disaster, and for 15 minutes or so yesterday it could have gone the same way. Carew was at fault for the goal conceded. He did not defent the near post and drifted, following the ball into no man's land. Green knew it - hence his reaction.

For those who didn't see it, Faubert was booked for kicking the man as they both went down - with the ball miles away. It was blatent, and as unprofessional as his pathetic headed attempt from one metre. Added to the time when he stood with his back to goal as Lansbury's shot came off the keeper makes me wonder what coaches saw in him as a youngster? At least he puts in the effort, start contrast to his countryman up front who just does not have the heart.

As I see it, we are on course to get out of this league at the first attempt - and then come straight back down to it.

Beat's watching the same old same old of the Premier League though. :crest:
Brum fan in peace

Post by Brum fan in peace »

Happyhammer52 wrote: How is Rooney doing for you this year?
Rooney hasn't had much of a look-in outside of a few Europa games. He's lacking pace but definitely has a nose for goal.

Many of us would like to see him get a regular run in the team ahead of Zigic but with Zigic on £55,000 a week they're trying to get everything they can out of him and showcase him before the window.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:As I see it, we are on course to get out of this league at the first attempt - and then come straight back down to it.
and what makes you so sure?
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

I did say at the start of the thread that I expected a draw but after going 1-0 up and having chances I feel disappointed with yesterdays result but it's not a bad point considering we should have had a couple of penalties as well. What is more disappointing in my opionion is the lack of judgement and discipline shown from Nolan, Faubert and McCartney yesterday. Nolan was lucky not to go, as for McCartney for the sake of 20 seconds or whatever it was was it worth the yellow. That now leaves us without our captain, our best winger (thought Faubert had a good game, just disappointed with the yellow he got) and our stand in CB for Derby.
the wren
Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Post by the wren »

Although a bit dissapointed not to win and we could have done. A good point away from home. We have lots of injuries and St Andrews is a tough fixture. Onwards and upwards Sam is taking us in the right direction. :thup:
Pepin

Post by Pepin »

Hammer Smith wrote:We were lucky to get away with a point and 11 men today. But an away draw against Birmingham aint bad and we're still second in the table.
Lucky?
Le Frog had two clear chances to score, at least one penalty was not given to us and Myhill's save of Carltons effort on the end of the first half was excellent. Brum were lucky not to be 2 or 3 goals down after the first half.
We were just punished for not finishing the game, which sometimes happens.
Amount of criticism on here is undeserved. We were abysmal year ago and we expect to get promoted with nice football (the so called West Ham way which has not been West Ham way for ages and maybe decades) and with depleted squad few months later. Our performances so far has been nothing to cheer, but to expect more, than Sam has managed to deliver in such a short time is pure naivity imo. Amount of negativity on here is unbelievable sometimes and this negativity has unfortunatelly spread through the Bolleyn as well. Our home support with all its negativity and expectations is our weak link imo !!!!!
Credit to the team for the proffessional performance and to all who traveled. You made me proud !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crest:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Happyhammer52 wrote: Allardyce was brought in to get us out of the division by any means possible. I don't think it is a division where you can often play free flowing football. The players that have been signed so far have been brought in with the one intention of getting us back into the Premiership and we are on track for that. Short term it might be the worst football West Ham played in 116 years however it is getting us where we need to be and then I am sure Allardyce will look to progress.
I wish I shared your enthusiasm! so every other team Southampton & Middlesbrough are also playing the same tactics as we are on the pitch then, not being able to play flowing football?

If Sam had been allowed into bringing in just the players he wanted and wants we would have a team of pensioners for the Premiership and on the wages bill?

I hope we do progress but last night looked mighty shaky!
ads78
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by ads78 »

Thought it was a strange game. First half we were good and could easily have had 3 or 4 with good chances coming from Faubert and Potts putting good crosses in. Cole was bullying their defense, and Diop & Tomkins were reading everything and breaking up all of their attacks. 2nd half we looked poor and just kept hoofing the ball aimlessly and seemed to start panicking at the back, in particular Tomkins & Potts kept just hitting the ball first time.

Thought Green, Faubert, Diop & Cole had good games, but that Noble & Nolan were anonymous, especially in the 2nd half which was when we really needed them to step up and take control of the midfield.

BFS is struggling to make changes due to the lack of personnel available to him at the moment and his obvious lack of desire to play the youngsters. Yesterday only Sears brought anything different off of the bench. We badly need Baldock and Taylor back fit or for Sam to risk Montano even if it is off the bench, as apart from Faubert we have absolutely no pace and no-one running at the opposition and no real threat down the left flank.

Will be interesting to see how Sam reacts to Nolan being out, will he simply add Lansbury to the central 3 or will he go for 4-4-2 and give Hall or Sears a chance alongside Cole. Of all the games to be losing players to suspension for, Derby is definitely not the worst considering how poor they were against us a few weeks back, however with the injury list we need all of the fit players we have available and that we absolutely need 3 points - we are looking particularly light in defense unless Faye is back the only other alternative might be to put Diop to CB.

Looking forward to seeing what the transfer window brings as we are clearly light at CB and down the left hand side
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1022 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Nothing new in this game, we have been playing this way for years now we are just better at it under Allardyce. Although apart from the money I have no earthly idea why we would want to go up with this team, it is every bit as untalented as the team that came bottom last year.

I support the club because I have an irrational love for it that I can't explain (I have no ties to it from family or location) and that isn't ever going to change. I was proud of supporting it for other reasons, we were different, we stood for something better than money and just winning. The lump it forward, set piece, bad footballers - good athletes, time wasting, ugly stuff is the way the game has gone and we are part of that now, we have gradually become everything I detested about other clubs. I still love the club but my chest doesn't swell any more when I tell people I am a West Ham fan. I miss that.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

The Old Mile End wrote:To me it was another typical performance of the season so far.

I know we have a lot of injuries etc, but almost all the games I've seen (from my armchair) have been played in the same way.

That is how we play.

The Barnsley manager called it right last week. For most of Sam's big time career he has been managing teams that have had to punch above their weight to survive. To do this, he has developed a playing style that is based on percentage football with big strong players in vital positions. He has created teams that become hard to beat.

And that's what we are in this league - hard to beat. We play well in very short spells and rely on the strength of the squad to do what's required, and that's about all. Every now and then we will put a bit more together and give some poor opposition a thumping. But for the most part, we are doing just about enough - and we are still in second.

Sam knows how to survive - and he is applying those principles to the best squad in the league, and achieving the dullest promotion ever seen at West Ham.

Other than injuries, discipline has been letting him down of late. Reading was an unmitigated disaster, and for 15 minutes or so yesterday it could have gone the same way. Carew was at fault for the goal conceded. He did not defent the near post and drifted, following the ball into no man's land. Green knew it - hence his reaction.

For those who didn't see it, Faubert was booked for kicking the man as they both went down - with the ball miles away. It was blatent, and as unprofessional as his pathetic headed attempt from one metre. Added to the time when he stood with his back to goal as Lansbury's shot came off the keeper makes me wonder what coaches saw in him as a youngster? At least he puts in the effort, start contrast to his countryman up front who just does not have the heart.

As I see it, we are on course to get out of this league at the first attempt - and then come straight back down to it.

Beat's watching the same old same old of the Premier League though.
On the critique of Faubert... not going to argue re the booking which I didnt look at, but think the other two points are harsh. On the header, there was a blatant handball by the defender to deflect the ball wide. Should have been a pen, and a stright red, if the ref decided it was goal bound. On the Lansbury shot, I was initally shocked by that too. But on the replay I saw that faubert had made a run shortly before the shot, which would have allowed him to be played in on goal (and was the pass that should ahve been played), but which took him off-sde. When lansbury shot he was therefore offside and did everything he could not to appear to be interfering with play. Which is actually good play.

I would agree that Faubert is a limited footballer, but he does have strengths - he covers a hell of a lot of ground (which is why he is in a position to fluff chances) and his delivery though erratic can at times be effective: brilliant chance for Nolan to score whilst it was still 0-0, and the ball for Cole's shot at end of the 45.

I would agree with your view that there isnt much to suggest this tema could paly at prem level. The teams that have made a go of it recently have actually ahd a lot more to them football wise: blackpool, swansea, Norwich, QPR. Ok maybe not Wolves :)
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Was prepared to respect the point before yesterday's game and ended up frustrated we didn't have all 3. Another 'Ground hog Day' performance where we start well, miss good chances, get screwed over by a s**t referee, then sit back and show our opponents how fragile we can be in defending a lead. We've now managed to erode a points cushion to just goal difference in 4 games, but still lay 2nd - if this is our mid-season blip before we kick-on then I'll take that.

Without trying to seem too cynical, I was pleased that Nolan, McCartney and Faubert were able to contrive their suspension bookings for the away game at Derby. I suspect this would have been a pre-empted decision. It will present us with the opportunity to see how we play without Nolan and we may get to see a few more of our much lauded youngsters get a shot at it. With a positive spin, it's a win win scenario for me.

A draw was just about a fair result in the end, but another game where a win was more than achievable.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

The Old Mile End wrote:To me it was another typical performance of the season so far.

That is how we play.

Beat's watching the same old same old of the Premier League though. :crest:

I have read your post over and over again as it is one of the most sensible posts I have read. I make you bang on in everything you have said and I have never thought about it before, but I also make the Barnsley manager bang on right in his assessment of Big Sam and his managerial career too. I have never looked at it like that before, but now that I have, it does say a hell of a lot about him. One thing, though, when we go up in May and we will go up, I am curious why you think we will come straight back down again. Is it because you think we will still have much the same squad of players ?
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

The Moth wrote:I felt ashamed watching that. I cant stand this anti football percentage play, its not what football is about imo.
Mind you, I didnt expect anything else from the fat arrogant one.
:thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

On another day we'd be talking about a 1-3 away win with 2 pens..

Good point.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2940 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Edit.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
devonshire flu
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by devonshire flu »

What happened:

Green, Myhill, Cole and Diop looked like good PL players, no-one else did. Their No. 7 ran rings round our midfield. Potts struggled but didn't go missing, so well done. One team was trying to play football, and it wasn't West Ham. Fat Sam clearly has no problem with his players getting booked for dissent, even though he can't afford the suspensions. Tomkins attempted clearance late on was possibly the worst I've ever seen by a West Ham player (which is saying something), but he had an OK game overall. Ref could have given us a pen, but could also have send Nolan off. We started to pass a bit when attacking down the right looking for a late winner - we weren't very good at it.

Interpretation 1:

Fat Sam's job is to get promoted, pure and simple. If doing it ugly works, then great. Playing people out of position, hoofing it long, time-wasting, stamping on opponents legs, whatever, who gives a ****? A point away from home is a point.

Interpretation 2:

People support West Ham for a reason, and it's not cos they want to watch a bunch of athletes trying to win the next header for an hour and a half.
Hull and Southampton (and Leeds and Boro to a lesser extent) are playing real football with smaller squads and are doing OK, so why do we need to sink to lowlife tactics?
Birmingham were there for the taking by a 442 of much better players (on paper) - the 451 was looking for 1-nil to us or a draw, showing an unforgivable lack of ambition.

Summary:

Both ways of looking at it are perfectly valid. Me? I think this is another 1989-90. Fat Sam is doing exactly what Lou Macari did - no nonsense, percentage football, designed to achieve exactly one thing: promotion. It didn't work then, and I don't think it's going to work now.
Mr Brightside

Post by Mr Brightside »

Would have taken the point before the game as they say. First half hour we battered them, knew that they would come back strong at home. We still have enough to beat Derby and Cov are there for the taking :D
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

So does the majority on here actually think we have played this way for years?? Under Grant, yes. Under Zola before we sold bellamy, not at all. We played some nice passing football, atleist thats what I think and I sometimes watch the games on dvd.

I hate brum with a passion, and Im pretty sure those feelings are shared with most of the players who played for us last season. Brum deserve a good passionate battering and if Noble, Cole and the others had gotten a free reign to effin pass the ball around a little, we would have a good oportunity to give them just that.

Also, how do you controll the midfield if the ball is played over your head all the time, all you can contribute with is the 2nd balls and closing down winning the ball back. You need Palacios for that, not Noble, Nolan or Collison for that matter.
Also the movement required to pass and move is totally lacking and need some priority........in my dreams anyway!
blues1875

Post by blues1875 »

ironstu wrote:The one fixture I looked for when they came out was this one.

After last season, I developed a hatred for that ****hole of a club and I am gutted that I'm away so am missing this.

To all those going, f***ing give 'em some and get behind us as I know you will on the way to an important victory!

COYI :crest:
As a Birmingham season ticket holder of 30 years and who attended both games in our semi, I have to ask 'why' you seem so bothered about us? There seems a real hatred and I just don't get it? And please, don't get me wrong , I don't care either - but thought I'd try and get a
straightforward answer. I was at the (so called) 84 riot and every other game and just don't get the bad blood that some of you lot seem to have....( Millwall, Spurs, Chelsea, Man U to name but a few come before us surely?)

.... cos. we ain't that bothered about you. You are viewed as a a bigger club than us for sure, and fourth biggest in London - with potential to be third (bigger fan base than Chelsea I'd imagine) but light years behind them in every other way.

It just makes me curious when I flick through a thread like this and read about some of the anger and hatred displayed by you lot (some of).

For us , games against all the midland teams, Spurs & Millwall from London, and Leeds are the ones that have that edge about them.