Birmingham 1 West Ham Utd 1 (26/12/11)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

jimcollins65

Re: Birmingham v West Ham United match thread

Post by jimcollins65 »

Seem to recall the last Manager got some serious stick on this board for not having a plan to deal with him .[/quote]
I think big sam is still in his 'honeymoon' period with fans. If results start to go against us i'm sure the stick will be forthcoming
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

brooking10 wrote:What option did we have re Zigic? If I was Hughton I would have had Zigic on from the start, as we had a left back playing centre half, and a small 17 year old playing his second game at left back?

Anyway, a patched up West Ham side go to an unbeaten at home Birmingham and come away with a gutsy point, and still people are moaning. If you want 'fantasy football', go and watch Spurs or Arsenal.

If we get promoted this season it will be in spite of our support, not because of it.
Difference between fantasy football and just wanting your team to string a few passes and have a go.
Like you say though I'll chuck in the home and away season ticket and go to the Emirates in future, thanks for the heads up :thup:
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Made Curbishley's sides look like Holland '88, that did. :lol:
TheAlmightyAmmer

Post by TheAlmightyAmmer »

stubbsy07 wrote:Let's hope the fans turn up at Derby. I felt as if I was a fan of a muggy little club today by how few we bought up
Only thing muggy is your stupid comments
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I watched it on the box and thought it was a well scrapped point in exactly the sort of match we'd have lost in the past few seasons.

I thought Papa Douba Diop was immense today and I thought Nolan showed the kind of nasty aggressiveness that we haven't had in our team for years. Ugly and sad, yes, but I seriously think we need a bit of it to get out of this league. Tomkins was superb, McC did a good job in a difficult situation and we saw good shifts from Noble, Green, Potts and Cole. Piq was awful with the ball at his feet, but helped Potts have a safer game than he might have expected.

I thought the ref was awful and the commentary as biased as I've ever heard - Don Goodman? - he sounded like a total Brum fan and neither of them mentioned the 3 pens (2 blatant) in their match summary

We've got the squad at bare bones for the next few games, which is worrying. The number of injuries we have is not normal in modern football, but certainly par for the course for us. Some of it is down to bad luck, some of it is down to bad planning and some of it is down to loaning out too many players. With Demel & Taylot this year's perma crocks and Faye, Carew, Collison. O'brien, O'Neill, Lansbury, Cole worrisome in terms of fitness, Sam better have some people lined up for (early) Jan or we'll struggle to hold up :think:
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

miles wrote:Made Curbishley's sides look like Holland '88, that did. :lol:
Make you right on that one. Total football, total ****ing rubbish football
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Romford wrote:Even Stoke Bloody City play more football than us Headbanger
Wow - we've sunk to unimaginable depths if that's the case.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:I think its a good result today vs a very decent Birmingham City team...and defo one of the best sides in the Championship(imo would be much higher up the league,but run in Europa league has been a distraction).

Happy Xmas all
That's true in the main - and happy new year to you too - but, if BCFC are a 'very decent' side, despite having had the mother of all clear outs at the end of last season, that tends to shine a spotlight on the true quality of this division.
WCpete
Has liked: 1404 likes
Total likes: 3070 likes

Post by WCpete »

libero wrote:I watched it on the box and thought it was a well scrapped point in exactly the sort of match we'd have lost in the past few seasons.

I thought Papa Douba Diop was immense today and I thought Nolan showed the kind of nasty aggressiveness that we haven't had in our team for years. Ugly and sad, yes, but I seriously think we need a bit of it to get out of this league. Tomkins was superb, McC did a good job in a difficult situation and we saw good shifts from Noble, Green, Potts and Cole. Piq was awful with the ball at his feet, but helped Potts have a safer game than he might have expected.

I thought the ref was awful and the commentary as biased as I've ever heard - Don Goodman? - he sounded like a total Brum fan and neither of them mentioned the 3 pens (2 blatant) in their match summary

We've got the squad at bare bones for the next few games, which is worrying. The number of injuries we have is not normal in modern football, but certainly par for the course for us. Some of it is down to bad luck, some of it is down to bad planning and some of it is down to loaning out too many players. With Demel & Taylot this year's perma crocks and Faye, Carew, Collison. O'brien, O'Neill, Lansbury, Cole worrisome in terms of fitness, Sam better have some people lined up for (early) Jan or we'll struggle to hold up :think:
The announcer we had in the States mentioned the hand balls many times. He mentioned at one point that the Brum fans were singing "who's the cockney wearing black. wait 'til they see the replays of the handballs." At the final whistle he said, "scrappy match, both sides will probably be content with the point but West Ham will feel hard done by by some glaring missed calls." I can't imagine we would have a different announcer Stateside.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

brooking10 wrote:What option did we have re Zigic? If I was Hughton I would have had Zigic on from the start, as we had a left back playing centre half, and a small 17 year old playing his second game at left back?

Anyway, a patched up West Ham side go to an unbeaten at home Birmingham and come away with a gutsy point, and still people are moaning. If you want 'fantasy football', go and watch Spurs or Arsenal.

If we get promoted this season it will be in spite of our support, not because of it.
You want to give advice on support fella then i suggest you go elsewhere yourself....and please don't you dare bring the Arsenal up.

Im not after fantasy football at all....just to be able to put 3 passes together..

How many away games you actually gone too to come out with such a broad view to mug off our travelling support ??
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

We concede far too many goals from set pieces
Sam doesn't seem to trust cole's fitness
We still look much better when we play the ball on the deck
We revert to hoofball more than ever when in the lead strangely
Those saying we need to go up this season will be proved right if we keep playing like that. Attendances will drop quicker than a McCartney punt
Give sears a break FFS, he's been asked to play all over the place and just got on with it. Would it be the worst thing in he world if he stayed as a squad player for a big chunk of his career? Surely there is a long list of players that deserve the vitriol reserved for him ahead of a player who has tried to get on with it professionally, has never slagged the club off despite never having a run in the position he played his whole youth career

We missed collison today - a player who was slagged off himself for the first ten games his season
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

just got back...long drive pleased its over... we really needed a second goal in the first half, but for a great save from myhill we'd have been home and hosed..draw was probably a fair result however I'm sure i saw two pens- the handball first half and nolan getting bundled over.?

the more telling stat of the day is we had one player booked for time-wasting and two for dissent, really, what has happened to us??

And yes, most of the game & our play was dog ****, but really can you tell me any time we've ever been much better there.

i really dont understand what we're trying to do with piqui/carew, they are just ****ing useless
RM6

Post by RM6 »

10 Iron wrote:PS Just how many have we conceded from set plays this season? :?
No idea, but I'd wager that on a pro-rata basis it's less than we have done for a long time.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Watched it on a stream in the pub so can't say much based on the **** quality. For me though in summary, what utter tripe we play, but at least we battled and came away with a point.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

hammer1975 wrote:We concede far too many goals from set pieces
Possibly , but in fairness - even though I don't think we are defending that well , only Middlesboro have conceded fewer goals overall .

10 clean sheets out of 23 games ? Not too bad .
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

hammer1975 wrote:We concede far too many goals from set pieces
the pink palermo wrote: Possibly , but in fairness - even though I don't think we are defending that well , only Middlesboro have conceded fewer goals overall .

10 clean sheets out of 23 games ? Not too bad .
Fair point pinky. I guess my expectations were set pretty high based on how much height we have in the side - we just seem to have conceded too many given that amount of height/aerial presence but hat could well be just a false impression
Canadianhammer

Post by Canadianhammer »

Two problems that were obvious today:
1. Sitting way too deep in our own end. That's just asking for trouble and how they got their goal eventually.
2. Missing good chances to score.

Both things have happened repeatedly in the rare few times I've seen West Ham play this year.

Getting off to a roaring start only to sit back and let them come at us is suicidal. We bring the pressure on ourselves. Look at how many corners Birmingham had!! :shock:
Gettem sorted Sam!!
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Went to the game and I thought Cole worked hard tonight, and should have had two bar a brilliant save. Faubert, again, put in some top crosses and generally worked hard. Diop was very solid as well, and his contribution was very important given the seriously weakened state of our back line.

As for team selection - looking at the bench, I think BFS picked the strongest 11 possible. Sears = not good enough (I think we can safely say that now); Carew = way off form; O'Neill and Lansbury = just back from injury. So, we had to make do tonight.

However, tactically, I think we defended too deep tonight, which meant we didn't press the opposition enough in their half, and it also led to our achilles heal which is trying to hit the front man too early. We need to squeeze up a lot more and press the opposition more in order for players like Noble and Nolan to boss games.

Edit. Oh yeah, Piq was ****ing dreadful.
LeicesterHammer

Post by LeicesterHammer »

Got back, in retrospect, a point at St. Andrews ain't bad. Had we been behind the whole game and equalised late on like Birmingham, it wouldn't be as bitter to swallow.

I thought Nolan, Cole, Diop and O'Brien played well tonight. Green made a few good saves, Piquionne was terrible, as was Carew. Didn't see Sears, didn't see Lansbury much but he was zooming around the pitch. As much as I don't want to criticise him, Potts didn't play well for me, but he's a young lad and he'll learn. Thought Cole took his goal well, the turning point was the Myhill save.

I don't understand how people can criticise our away support when they haven't gone. Also to the pathetic specimen to our right giving it the biggun all game (Brum 'fans'), and then waiting for Hammers fans in their latest Nike tracksuits next to the POLICE about 15 minutes after the game, I pity you fools. :crest:
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

If we score early the game is over as a spectacle, we only play football when we are losing or drawing. Why we insist on parking the bus as soon as we take the lead is unbelieveable, we have the best footballing players in this league we just refuse to play the game. :|