West Ham Utd 1 Coventry City 0 (02/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Coventry City: match thread

Post by Gnome »

The Moth wrote:Ignore the headline , read the qoutes, at no point did he say they deserved a draw.
Having been at the press conference I can confirm that at no stage did Thorn suggest that they were worth a draw, although he did say they could have "nicked" something. Which was fair enough.

Overkeen website headline writer I suspect!

By the way - look out for Allardyce's comments when they go up on the front page. He was pretty candid about the form of certain players!
m-h

Post by m-h »

Gnome wrote:
By the way - look out for Allardyce's comments when they go up on the front page. He was pretty candid about the form of certain players!
Allardyce calling some players out by name........ :shock:

Should be a good read.
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Quite excited for that!
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

I have to say that the victory yesterday was solely down to me.

I thought I'd check the score from about 60 mins or so - so went to Sky score centre and was surprised it was 0-0.

Just as I was explaining to the wife that this was a must-win game and telling the computer screen that we had to score, had to score - boom, 1 second later it flashed to 1-0.

You're welcome.
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

ShanghaiHammer wrote:I have to say that the victory yesterday was solely down to me.

I thought I'd check the score from about 60 mins or so - so went to Sky score centre and was surprised it was 0-0.

Just as I was explaining to the wife that this was a must-win game and telling the computer screen that we had to score, had to score - boom, 1 second later it flashed to 1-0.

You're welcome.
Thank you ShanghaiHammer. For wasting my time with that story :lol:
Shanghai Hammer

Post by Shanghai Hammer »

And just for the record that was "ShanghaiHammer" as opposed to the completely different "Shanghai Hammer". :crest:
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Stepney wrote:Fair enough I'll eat my words.

But anyone who says they honestly believed after an hour in their heart of hearts that we would score a winner is a liar!!
LeonRivers wrote:What utter b***ocks.
What so you are telling me that after an hour of the game you weren't expecting the 'all too familiar' stalemate or last minute 1-0 defeat acknowledged by a chorus of "boos" at the final whislte?

ok mate :wink:
WCpete
Has liked: 1405 likes
Total likes: 3071 likes

Post by WCpete »

How was Nouble on his brief appearance? I forgot he existed, tbh.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Shanghai Hammer wrote:And just for the record that was "ShanghaiHammer" as opposed to the completely different "Shanghai Hammer". :crest:
So, you're the useless, spaced out Shaghai Hammer?

Thanks for that.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Agree with quite a bit on this thread, which is unusual, thought the game was "decent" to watch, we dominated but just couldn't find the net, a 2/3 nil would have been a fairer result.

Great to see Baldock back, our midfielders really do need to look forward more, Baldock makes so many intelligent runs and is just not being found, work to do there as that boy is a proper striker and given the service will tear the second half of the season up.

Just a shout for Tomkins, my MOTM, had a hand in the goal, brought the ball out of defence and when he did have to defend he hardly missed a thing, we must keep him for the promotion push.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

WCpete wrote:How was Nouble on his brief appearance? I forgot he existed, tbh.
Even when he scored a few days ago against Derby?
jtsharpie
Location: In deepest, darkest spud country. Escape to the BML most weekends.

Post by jtsharpie »

After reflecting on yesterdays performance, i am feeling a lot more upbeat. Joint top at the start of the new year and the first game i can remember with no bookings for us. Lets hope Sam brings in a few experienced heads and no more perma-crocks (take a bow Mr Demel, oops there goes his back again!)

Glad to see that Green started distributing the ball short and faster in the second half, all that rolling of the shoulders and pointing was slowing up the game before he was lobbing it up for someones head, which we invaribly lost. Hopefully that is a permanant change.

Big shout for McCartney yesterday, a great performance and he got some good balls in. Ried apart, the defence looked great and rode out the squeaky bum time well.

Onwards we go and 30ish days to Millwall. come on you irons!!
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

I was entertained.Noble's 50 yard run back and a goal saving tackle deserves a mention.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The reaction of Baldock when Nolan scored was superb. :thup:
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

It wasn't a fantastic performance, we looked a bit tired, but yet again Sam hit the nail on the head in his comments after the game, we are not converting our chances enough.

We need a bit of life in that side, someone to fire us up a bit.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Nouble looked really bright when he come on, hes a strong b*stard and has some pace to burn. I liked his confidence to get the ball, run at people and hold it up...i was impressed.

I remember him at Villa a couple of seasons back where he played very well and worried the defence but his finishing wasn't the best and yesterday i felt that was still lacking. But i do think he will turn into a decent player.
CBHammer

Post by CBHammer »

Took my younger brother to this one yesterday. Thought the passing was good and general build up play was good, but when playing against sides who sit right back and get their strikers to defend deep we need to pass it quicker and don't need so many touches on the ball. The need for width is clear to see. We will get hurt against any team I feel that plays with width and pace, or at least struggle to contain them..
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

CBHammer wrote:Took my younger brother to this one yesterday. Thought the passing was good and general build up play was good, but when playing against sides who sit right back and get their strikers to defend deep we need to pass it quicker and don't need so many touches on the ball. The need for width is clear to see. We will get hurt against any team I feel that plays with width and pace, or at least struggle to contain them..
Yep, Reading away is the one that springs to mind for me. Kebe and McAnuff had all sorts of fun down either wing and we couldn't handle them. Joey O'Briens second booking showed just how much he struggled against a pacy and direct winger.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2942 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:From the Beeb site

Possession West Ham57% Coventry43%
Attempts on target West Ham14 Coventry3
Attempts off target West Ham8 Coventry4
Corners West Ham11 Coventry6
Fouls West Ham14 Coventry9

I wasn't there, but 22 shots with 14 of them on target doesn't sound that boring.
It wasn't at all boring .We bossed the game , created loads of chances and at times played some really good football .Some long stuff, plenty of passing, no little skill .......great saves by their keeper to keep them in it .........what more do people want ?
taffhammer wrote:I was entertained.Noble's 50 yard run back and a goal saving tackle deserves a mention.
Yes, both he and Nolan made vital challanges in the right part of the pitch late on .With regards to Mark , the fact he was still going strong so late in the game is a credit to him and how hard he has worked on his fitness .He made a similar intervention awat at Derby on Saturday, late on .
The Gibbins wrote:Nouble looked really bright when he come on, hes a strong b*stard and has some pace to burn. I liked his confidence to get the ball, run at people and hold it up...i was impressed.

I remember him at Villa a couple of seasons back where he played very well and worried the defence but his finishing wasn't the best and yesterday i felt that was still lacking. But i do think he will turn into a decent player.
Totally agree - could, and perhaps should have had a brace yesterday, and hopefully he will lead the line against the Owls next week .

As a general comment , for all the doom , we have seen Noble in outstanding form all season, Potts introduced, Hall given a debut, Nouble getting a couple of appearances, Tomkins playing well ............we're joint top .

It really isn't all bad .Quite a bit of what is going on is good .
Essex bill

Post by Essex bill »

I wonder if SA noticed that two of our best moves of the game started with Greeno throwing the ball out rather than hoofing it long to Cole? :think: