West Ham Utd 1 Coventry City 0 (02/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

West Ham Utd 1 Coventry City 0 (02/01/12)

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

When i start them we win.. :thup:

& if anyone has any spares at all please contact me, thank you..
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: Coventry at Home Match Thread

Post by e17 »

One of my Chrimbo "presents" from Miss e17, tickets to this one.

Hope it will sting less than the aftermath of the leftover turkey curry she also brought me. :thup:
The Pub Landlord

Post by The Pub Landlord »

Robert Hall should start
Hackney Hammer

Post by Hackney Hammer »

3 points are a must.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

The Pub Landlord wrote:Robert Hall should start
Nope it will be Cole & Baldock

I hope
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Faubert, Nolan, McCartney to come straight back in. Hopefully Faye and Taylor are back.

Cole and Baldock up top.

...........................Green..........................
O'Brien........Tomkins....Faye....McCartney
Faubert........Nolan.......Noble.......Taylor
...................Cole.......Baldock.............
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:When i start them we win.. :
& if anyone has any spares at all please contact me, thank you..
If we don't win this, bags me getting another winning run started for the game after :lol:
boleyn24

Post by boleyn24 »

Cov have just made it two wins out of two so this might not be as easy as we think its going to be!!!
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham Utd v Coventry City: match thread

Post by RyanWHUFC »

Think it will be a tough one, we need to win it though so should be going all out attack formation and tactics wise, I'd like to see a clean sheet but think it will be either 2-1/3-1.
Larry
The end of the world is nigh

Post by Larry »

after such a poor run of results in December, this is now a must win game plain and simple.
EvilC
Location: In the street as the cold wind blows, in the ghetto...
Has liked: 2628 likes
Total likes: 1178 likes

Post by EvilC »

Bob - don't f*** this one up, we need a win.

Love

Evil

xxx
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Hackney Hammer wrote:Image

3 points are a must.
Well, I can see the problem right there, in that back line. You lot won't accept it, but thereby lies the problem. That defence is flawed and nowhere near good enough. O'Brien and McCartney particularly so and as you all know, I'm not as sure about Tomkins as you are. He's young and therefore prone to poor positioning, when what is required, is a more mature and experienced head in the centre of that defence than him
jimcollins65

Post by jimcollins65 »

All the teams in this league will continue to drop points you wouldnt expect so consistancy is the key and we need to start the year with three points. With coventry's mini revival it boosting their confidence the game may not be as easy as some (me included) thought it would be. but it could coventry the confidence to play and try and attack which could be good for us. A convincing home win to start 2012. 4-0 :crest:
Biglee92

Post by Biglee92 »

Potts piq out for mcartney and cole
Nouble out baldock in
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Puff Daddy wrote: Well, I can see the problem right there, in that back line. You lot won't accept it, but thereby lies the problem. That defence is flawed and nowhere near good enough.
Complete nonsense.

That defence is fine, is when we've had to change it that we've had problems, clearly.

See our last 5 games for proof.
Rockhampton Hammer
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Rockhampton Hammer »

Must win now,always on the cards we'd lose to Derby.COYI :crest:
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Puff Daddy wrote:
Well, I can see the problem right there, in that back line. You lot won't accept it, but thereby lies the problem. That defence is flawed and nowhere near good enough. O'Brien and McCartney particularly so and as you all know, I'm not as sure about Tomkins as you are. He's young and therefore prone to poor positioning, when what is required, is a more mature and experienced head in the centre of that defence than him
I'll agree with some of that, but certainly not all.

Green - Faye - Tomkins are easily of sufficiently high quality, especially as a unit, to succeed in this divsion. Reid as back up completes that core of a durable defence.

However, where you're (imo) correct is in the issue of full backs for the first eleven and cover for them.

Sam knows that too. He's 'used' Potts to make that point and we will surely strengthen down the left side of defence if he has the chance this window (how he'll raise the money to do this is perhaps unclear). We've been affected by a lack of a decent LB for some time now. On the right, O'Brien shares with Linda the nagging doubt of having had his best years elsewhere. They both need good competition for their places to ensure upper levels of application. There is minimal cover, hence the recent downturn in form.

However, this match back in full focus, can someone please confirm - is Faubs still banned? As he's the only man with any pace in our attacking options, I'd pick him practically automatically.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

The flying frog has served his one match suspension as has Nolan and McCartney.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

prophet:marginal wrote: However, where you're (imo) correct is in the issue of full backs for the first eleven and cover for them.

Sam knows that too. He's 'used' Potts to make that point and we will surely strengthen down the left side of defence if he has the chance this window (how he'll raise the money to do this is perhaps unclear). We've been affected by a lack of a decent LB for some time now. On the right, O'Brien shares with Linda the nagging doubt of having had his best years elsewhere. They both need good competition for their places to ensure upper levels of application. There is minimal cover, hence the recent downturn in form.

However, this match back in full focus, can someone please confirm - is Faubs still banned? As he's the only man with any pace in our attacking options, I'd pick him practically automatically.
We don't have a decent full back at the club. O'Brien is a real weak point - he's slow and gives away freekicks. McCartney is sensible but has no real attacking ability and get's beaten. Potts is a great prospect but much too physically weak and inexperienced. Faubert is not a full back. I don't think our defence is so bad overall compared to others in this division but certainly if we go up we need proper full backs (and at least two decent centre-backs - Faye is too old and knackkered - Reid is too slow mentally)
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Rockhampton Hammer wrote:Must win now,always on the cards we'd lose to Derby.COYI :crest:
I don't know about 'must' win but certainly 'should'. Funny thing is that despite a crappy xmas period, with the results on saturday we could just go joint top again if we win, if local rivals Brighton beat Southampton and a decent Blackpool draw or beat Middlesborough.