West Ham Utd 1 Coventry City 0 (02/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ironintheblood

Re: West Ham Utd v Coventry City: match thread

Post by Ironintheblood »

Not too bad today but not great

Started off well first 10 with Nolan looking quite good, he was getting in the box and had 3 or 4 attempts....after that, apart from his goal, I thought he had a poor game. Rest of first half was pretty dull, we seem to lack urgency but that is probably because there is no pace in the side

Green should have got rid of the ball quicker 1st half, did in 2nd half and part of the reason we were better.

Tomkyns was excellent...Noble and Collison ok but Tomkyns def man of match...Baldock never had the service and Nouble looked lively when he came on.

But we lacked a lot of width today...how long is Taylor out for, he would have had a field day, there was so much room down the left flank?
:thup:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2713 likes

Post by sendô »

An important win before the FA cup break, especially given that Southampton and Boro both lost.
sion

Post by sion »

thought baldock was good today but he didn't get the ball as often as he demanded it. Created lots of space and showed good movement but was let down by slow ball from midfield, don't think the high and long ball does him any favours. Tomkins and noble also were very good. Like that Nouble was direct and looked eager for the ball. Coventry keeper was sadly excellent
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Great attendance today a huge 34,936. Superb! :thup:
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Matt of iron wrote:Just got home.

3 points.

Game was like watching paint dry.
Thats Fat Sam for you. I find it hard to find people to go to games with these days because we are just so ****ing boring

Good to see Baldock back today and I really do hope we sign some more pacey/tricky players who can get the crowd going..
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Green must have been under orders second half to play it short... a complete contrast to the first when he regularly rolled the ball forward as if to take it quickly then remembered his instructions, and slowly re-positioned it until the cavalry were around the opponents box.

No booing today when Collison got the sponsors nod,although he might have blushed.

It is very difficult to score with no wide threat..we were best in all departments but couldn't score despite our superiority and I put it down to having no one to reach the bye line and pull it back, one of the better ways to beat a packed defense.

I enjoyed the game..always do when our players play to their maximum ability and I think they did today.

Get that quick player in Sam.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

irving boleyn wrote:Green must have been under orders second half to play it short... a complete contrast to the first when he regularly rolled the ball forward as if to take it quickly then remembered his instructions, and slowly re-positioned it until the cavalry were around the opponents box.

No booing today when Collison got the sponsors nod,although he might have blushed.

It is very difficult to score with no wide threat..we were best in all departments but couldn't score despite our superiority and I put it down to having no one to reach the bye line and pull it back, one of the better ways to beat a packed defense.

I enjoyed the game..always do when our players play to their maximum ability and I think they did today.

Get that quick player in Sam.
That same point was made by Julian Dicks on the Radio London commentary. He had a go at Faubert for crossing from way too far back, rather than beating his man and getting to the bye line.
hammer1975
Has liked: 984 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Must. Not. Sell. Tomkins

The end
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

How the hell can there manager think this, I think 4-0 would be more accurate:-

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 91,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Yea Why Not wrote: Thats Fat Sam for you. I find it hard to find people to go to games with these days because we are just so f***ing boring
Did you honestly think today was boring ?? :shock:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1856 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

From the Beeb site

Possession West Ham57% Coventry43%
Attempts on target West Ham14 Coventry3
Attempts off target West Ham8 Coventry4
Corners West Ham11 Coventry6
Fouls West Ham14 Coventry9

I wasn't there, but 22 shots with 14 of them on target doesn't sound that boring.
orbital
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by orbital »

I struggle to see how anyone would call todays game boring, but hey each to their own.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:From the Beeb site

I wasn't there, but 22 shots with 14 of them on target doesn't sound that boring.
It weren't boring today, it was one of the most entertaining games at the Boleyn this season.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Fantastic game today.
Should have buried them in the first half.
Tomkins was superb.
We should have played the ball into Baldock's feet a lot more but other than that i think our general build up play was excellent.
Very nervy last 5/8 minutes but we held strong for a much deserved win.
We are in desperate need of another left footer, i think Linda was relied on far too heavily today.
It was a great performance though and 1-0 flattered Coventry. Should feel us with great promise for the second half of the season.
saludo de carlitos wrote:How the hell can there manager think this, I think 4-0 would be more accurate:-

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 91,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This particular quote is ridiculous -

"They are a really good side and showed their quality by the players they brought off the bench which shows the gulf in the two sides.

Nouble aged 20 making his second start of the season and Joey O'Brien in the last minute? Hardly a gulf in quality!
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:From the Beeb site

:thup:
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

saludo de carlitos wrote:How the hell can there manager think this, I think 4-0 would be more accurate:-

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 91,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ignore the headline , read the qoutes, at no point did he say they deserved a draw.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Ironintheblood wrote: Green should have got rid of the ball quicker 1st half, did in 2nd half and part of the reason we were better.

I so agree about Green. Remember when Pardew got the ballboys to return the ball quicker to suit out style of play? Green wastes more time than the opposing keeper. He doesn't have to hoof it but a quick throw - a la Reina - or a more level kick would be so much better than the endless 'will I won't I throw it' that always ends with him taking ten minutes to boot it long. Same with goal kicks.
Does my head in.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I dont think it was a boring match, we just are not prolific enough in front of goal and it almost cost us today. We should have scored 3 or 4 goals really and their keeper was excellent. We finally scored but its never enough to rely on a 1-0 lead and they almost come back into it in the last 5 minutes depsite being absolute ****. They were by far the worst team to come here this season.

We played some good football though, which was pleasing. I thought Noble was very good, as was Collison and were bright upfront. Big three points today with Southampton and Boro messing up :thup:
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0 ... 91,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
to be fair he says 'nicked'. They have to say that kind of crap. I thought they kept going well and tried to pass it, but they lacked quality and ambition. very poor team. summed up by bringing on a 15 year old with a weird hair cut.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote: Did you honestly think today was boring ??
I didnt go to the game today. I quoted Matt because what he said perfectly summed up our season so far hence why none of my pals fancy coming to games any more

I'm hoping a couple of pacey/tricky signings in the transfer market might change their minds otherwise i'll probably end up going on my own :cry: