West Ham Utd 1 Coventry City 0 (02/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Bobby Orangeboom

Re: West Ham Utd v Coventry City: match thread

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

ShanghaiHammer wrote:I have to say that the victory yesterday was solely down to me.

You're welcome.
Rubbish, i started a match thread & once again, we won..;)

I'll save the next one for the Mouth London lot in a few weeks.
Voronin

Post by Voronin »

Anyone with a link to the goal, that works outside of the UK?
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

Voronin wrote:Anyone with a link to the goal, that works outside of the UK?
They aren't up on the BBC website yet, not sure anyone can see them.
Bobby Orangeboom

WCpete wrote:How was Nouble on his brief appearance? I forgot he existed, tbh.
Quite incredible to be honest, played out on the left hand side of a 4-5-1 then played as the 1 for the last 3 or so mins.

Caused Coventry big problems, created for himself & others out of pretty much nothing & probably should have scored.

Done what was required of him defensively too.

I'd look at him over the other 2 ( Piq & Carew ) all day long personally.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
I'd look at him over the other 2 ( Piq & Carew ) all day long personally.
I think Sam has finally realised that these 2 aren't very good, which is a good sign.

Nouble should definitely be infront of them in the pecking order.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:& probably should have scored
No 'probably' about it Bob! If any of our other strikers had failed to score that they would have been lynched on here and even at the ground by some!

BUT!!!

I do completely agree that he looked very positive when he came on. Not scared to run at defenders and make something happen (take note Sears!), confident, quick, strong and decent with the ball at his feet. I would say he has put himself above Piq for the left hand side spot in Taylor's absence for sure!

:thup:
Bobby Orangeboom

sutts07 wrote:
No 'probably' about it Bob! If any of our other strikers had failed to score that they would have been lynched on here and even at the ground by some!

BUT!!!

I do completely agree that he looked very positive when he came on. Not scared to run at defenders and make something happen (take note Sears!), confident, quick, strong and decent with the ball at his feet. I would say he has put himself above Piq for the left hand side spot in Taylor's absence for sure!
Too true, should have scored.

But he didn't, he won the chance by his persistence, had his shot saved by the MOTM, then Noble missed an open goal from the follow up.

The run from near the halfway line on the touch line then coming inside was Rod Wallace esque. :lol:

Frank's alright.
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

1st post on here after years of casual observation! Thought i'd leave my opinions on my first game under the allardyce regime.

Took my 8,6 and 3yr old boys for our annual Xmas treat from the missus. Thought first half was pretty poor, slightly long ball to Carlton for the inaccurate knock down to baldock. Agree with most posts about lack of vision in passes forward to baldock too.

When we actually got the ball down and played, mainly due to the industry and interceptions of noble, we played some good stuff.

Thought the pre-match booing of diop was harsh.....until I saw him play!!! Haven't personally seen a worse midfielder for us in the flesh.

Again, can't see past tomkins for MOM,and think it would be suicidal to consider selling.

Feels great to be joint top though!!
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Tell more about the booing....
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

noblecause wrote: Thought the pre-match booing of diop was harsh.....until I saw him play!!! Haven't personally seen a worse midfielder for us in the flesh.
Are you sure? 1 game this season and you're slagging off Diop? I never heard any boos in the STBL and I haven't all season.

Bloke does his job. Just don't get the ball and Nolan or Cole's feet they both like to trip over it.

Saying that I won't hate on either of them!
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

irving boleyn wrote:Tell more about the booing....
I didn't hear that at all. There was some mocking laughter when Collison was announced as the sponsor's MotM. Nothing against Jack who had a very good first half, but I think Tomkins, Noble and arguable Nolan (for the goal if nothing else) were better candidates.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

noblecause wrote: Thought the pre-match booing of diop was harsh.....until I saw him play!!! Haven't personally seen a worse midfielder for us in the flesh.
:shock:

Was not aware of any pre match booing of Diop but if true it is harsh! Very harsh!

To be fair to him he has been pretty good in the middle for us and does the job required. He is no Xavi or Faberegas (biggest understatement ever) but that is not why we have him. He is a ball winner, it is up to players like Noble, Collison, Nolan and Lansbury to make things happen in there.

As for not seeing a worse midfielder... there have been a few over the years... trust me!
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

The problem with Diop is he wins the ball and then goes blank add to the fact, he's lost pace and tires neear the end of the matches, he's on his last legs.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

I was in the ground for the team announcements and heard nothing.

Diop, alongside Noble would the first names I would pencil into the midfield..I love the way he eases his frame around opponents without giving away fouls, and he rarely wastes a ball.
irving boleyn

Post by irving boleyn »

There was no obvious alternative to him yesterday? Unless Mr.and Mrs Lansbury were making their feelings known!
noblecause

Post by noblecause »

Definite booing in STBU on his announcement by the darts man, and just pre match. Maybe harsh to judge him on one game, but like I said, it was my yearly pilgrimage. Sure I've heard negative comments about diop before, and thought he played like he was on rollerblades. Also, except the goal Nolan was pretty average, but McCartney impressed.

Am enjoying the involvement side of this forum lark! Will be posting and replying more from now on! Will certainly be attending more games this year to further inform myself.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Sam's presser, in full and exclusive to KUMB:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Up the Junction wrote:Sam's presser, in full and exclusive to KUMB:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=125896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jesus, he's being very frank (no pun intended) about the form of Piq and Carew. Fair play I suppose :thup:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Scratchy wrote: Jesus, he's being very frank (no pun intended) about the form of Piq and Carew. Fair play I suppose :thup:
Yep, was surprised at his frankness, I don't recall him being like that in a previous managerial post although I obviously wasn't paying that much attention. He is of course right, we have all seen it and said it, so yeah, fair play I guess. Certainly looks like we will be bringing in another striker which is no bad thing, although, I would like him to concentrate on our midfielders to start looking a little more forward to utilise the excellent movement of Baldock, if we do, I can see him scoring 10+ goals in the run in.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

fmgod wrote:The problem with Diop is he wins the ball and then goes blank add to the fact, he's lost pace and tires neear the end of the matches, he's on his last legs.
Which probably makes the fact that he was our best player in the match I watch v Brum even more embaressing.