FAC3: Sheffield Wednesday 1 West Ham Utd 0 (08/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

shammy

Re: Sheffield Wednesday v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by shammy »

I'd play the strongest side I could , week after week, after week .

A bit like we did in 85/86 .Great league campaign and a decent cup run iirc .From memory I think we had around half a dozen players that played the best part of 50 compettive games that season .We won't have anyone playing more than 37 this year .

Is the injury list really that bad ? Taylor, Faye, Demel and Stetch are the only injuried players we have .Stetch is being left out fro contractual reasons anyway .
All well and good and I agree, but when you promise BFS a massive bonus for promotion you are effectively writing off the 2 cups. The club should have said at the start of the season that "Due to the ammount we are paying the manager for getting us promoted he will understandably have no ****ing interest in the cup competitions so do not waste your hard earned cash on tickets and travel"
MEM

Post by MEM »

the pink palermo wrote:A bit like we did in 85/86.
By coincidence Pinky ~ didn't we lose 2-1 at Sheffield Wednesday that year with our best side out :<)
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Shite quoting done properly...
Collo

Post by Collo »

Obviously not reinventing the wheel with these observations, but as one of the 3200 who made the commute, feel I should note some thoughts for the record.

Naturally disappointed that the the Magoos were turned out given Wednesday's record at home this, etc. It was going to be a big deal for them, so therefore it is hard not to conclude that this was the outcome Sam was privately after. But that's been debated to death, so will leave it.

Carew should be given a free loan to the dancefloors of London. He'll surely be a more effective target there. Just cannot win a header for love nor money.

I know Jack Collison played, but was effectively AWOL meandering through the guts. Likewise Lansbury, who may have had more of it, but turned it over at will.

Thought Reid's game was better than he's being given credit for. Was at least creative, and too often was the only aerial option as Carew spun himself in circles. McCartney recovered from the early howler that should have seen us down 1-nil early, but didn't give much the other way. Potts loves to sneak down the left well enough and was nice and composed early, but fizzled as the game went on.

Sears severely down on confidence. A couple of those aborted runs were cringeworthy. Surely a spell elsewhere to get more field time.

Baldock excellent, sans the spot kick. The only bloke who looked likely to get one in the back of the net. Should pile them on in the second half of the year with any luck. Love his tenacity. On that, same with Hall. Has the ticker to take them on, and the class to make it work. More please.

Nouble profligate, but I suppose looked half-likely with the on-target header with its collateral damage.

Anyway, that'll do. First time I've had the good fortune to travel to an away game since moving to England. Good times. Looking forward to Pompey trip on Saturday. COYI.
steptoe61

Post by steptoe61 »

Goes to show what an absolute piss poor squad we have.

That said typical west ham cup performance against lower league opposition,gotta laugh.
Last edited by steptoe61 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

MEM - No flies on you :thup: .

Quite correct .
Gabers

Post by Gabers »

mushy wrote: I went and am not crying, nor were most at the game, there was a sense of realism after and acceptance.
We fielded a weakened team, I thought we were a little unlucky even if we did not deserve to win.
I had a good day out, spoilt only by a pretty sh*t performance, situation normal really.
I was being slighty sarcastic against those on here who feel the God given right to establish an opinion over others who did not travel to the game yesterday. I dont think ive ever seen travelling support complain all that much and lets face it we have seen some awful performances over the years then sat in a car, train, coach for hours to dwell on it
MEM

Post by MEM »

the pink palermo wrote:MEM - No flies on you :thup: .

Quite correct .

Remember going up there and my mates young brother offered to drive a hired 12 seater, which seemed like a result at the time as we all liked a drink ~ To cut a long story short after a couple of hours of a white knuckle ride, the last straw being when he went straight across one of those round-a-bouts on the A1 my mate asked him if he had actually past his test "oh yeh last Tuesday was his reply" :<( At which point someone else volunteered to take over. Added to that the clutch burnt out on the way home!
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Dannyboylister wrote:I would be angry if he put a full side out. This season is about the league and nothing else. Next season will be exactly the same, whether we get promotion or not.
How sad is that.

So what's the point of following the game? You are only interested in one competition, the club has entered into three. And you have conceded defeat on that one to start with.

The reality is we are nowhere near doing anything other than struggling to survive in the Premier League, or being a good second tier side. We are light years away from any higher level than that right now.

So the only real chance of getting some "success" in the short term is to have decent cup runs and perhaps bring back some glory. Due to the total luck of the draw, the FA Cup offers this chance each and every year.

Giving it a fair crack is respectful to the supporters of the club. Treating it with contempt is taking the piss.

It's not so much the team that was put out. It's more the lack of build up, the lack of real preparation, and the pre match dismissal of the competition. I'm not saying BFS wanted to lose. But I doubt he has lost any sleep over it.

The club has a product it is trying to sell. I believe it went the wrong way about advertising it's wares yesterday. I believe that those who have a long history of following this club up and down the country are losing the enthusiasm to do so. Getting promoted to the Premier League in this manner and repeating the last two seasons will not change that.

:cry:
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I can understand the singlemindedness that a £million bonus brings,but we didn't "throw" the game did we? Why make a half hearted attempt at winning the game?

Would an injury to Baldock,Reid or Collison have been less important than to those who were rested?
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Its not a long term view to give up on cups, but we have 2 seasons to get back into the PL or face massive financial issues. He put a good enough team to win in my opinion
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

Dannyboylister wrote:Its not a long term view to give up on cups, but we have 2 seasons to get back into the PL or face massive financial issues. He put a good enough team to win in my opinion
and indeed we nearly did win it - sam's penalty and nouble's late miss
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

The Old Mile End wrote:
How sad is that.

So what's the point of following the game? You are only interested in one competition, the club has entered into three. And you have conceded defeat on that one to start with.
Not that i need to respond for Danny but could he not just be pointing out the truth ??

It doesn't need to be what he actually thinks is the right way to do things, what he said is just what it is.

Just saying.
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Dannyboylister wrote:Its not a long term view to give up on cups, but we have 2 seasons to get back into the PL or face massive financial issues. He put a good enough team to win in my opinion
Fair enough.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Interesting to hear how those who went to Cardiff for the BinDipper cup final feel...

(rhetorical).....
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

The Old Mile End wrote:So what's the point of following the game? You are only interested in one competition, the club has entered into three. And you have conceded defeat on that one to start with.
So, when we used to play in the Zenith Data Systems Cup and the Anglo-Italian Cup you considered that as important as the old Division 1 and the FA Cup?

Being as most of the moaners on here are so insistent that our squad is weak and full of rubbish we had no chance to win the FA Cup this year anyway. However, if we made it back to the top flight and improved our squad and our finances then maybe we might stand a more regular chance of winning some silverware in the future? If we stay in this league we'll never win a cup again, we might not if we go up admittedly but we stand more chance if we're a Premier League outfit.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 845 likes

Post by mushy »

The Old Mile End wrote:
The reality is we are nowhere near doing anything other than struggling to survive in the Premier League, or being a good second tier side. We are light years away from any higher level than that right now.

The reality is that we are around £80 mill in debt and getting that debt down to a more manageble figure is the owners priority and it has been clear for sometime that they will do this at all costs, including sacrificing cup runs.
We could have had a go at the cup and as someone who went yesterday I wish they had, but reality bites.
If we had a cup run and it became a distraction and cost us promotion how much would this cost us?
of course the reality is that we can sacrifice both cups and still not go up.
The worst of both worlds.
I can understand why the club have done what they have done -it does not mean I like it though.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

the pink palermo wrote: how much weaker than normal was that line up ?
PP

Considerably weaker, it didnt have Nolan in it.
Nor did it have Noble, Tomkins, Cole or Green. So basically our 5 best players and our 2 top scorers.

I have been saying for a few weeks now that our squad is over-rated.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Wouldn't a tie in the next round have given us a few extra quid to pay down the debt though.....even little bit helps...
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

So apart from Sears heading over from a yard, Collison having a great shot well saved, Baldock having his penalty saved then having a good shot tipped on to the post and then Nouble having a header headed off the line and screwing a shot wide when it was easier to hit the target plus the endless times we got behind Wednesday and proceeded to play the wrong ball or wasted good crosses from GON because somebody nailed Carew to the pitch and nobody else got in the box - we didn't really try?

There were times in the previous two seasons when we didn't create that many chances in a month.

It was just like a typical cup tie, the quality didn't shine through for us and Wednesday got the break they probably deserved.

Disappointed as usual. Typical West Ham. Win the next two games and I think we'll be top of the league. I'll take that and ignore the fourth round entirely.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

On the balance of probabilities, how far do people think we would actually get if we gave the cup 100%? I'm guessing we could probably have given Blackpool a decent tie and then probably gone out in the fifth round unless we got a very favourable draw.

Even when we've had good teams we've generally struggled in the cups. What is it, two semi final appearances in thirty years? What have we actually sacrificed by resting players yesterday? Not a lot in my opinion.