FAC3: Sheffield Wednesday 1 West Ham Utd 0 (08/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Re: Sheffield Wednesday v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Isn't a Fizzy Pop team going to be in the Carling Cup final ??
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Isn't a Fizzy Pop team going to be in the Carling Cup final ??
Indeed. And we held a final place in our hands last season, until we allowed that big bully Nikola Zigic to nick it off us.
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Almost every season in the last few years we've had the excuse of Premier League status being more important so we don't play a full strength team in the cup.
Fat Sam says we missed chances - we did, but so did they. Best we deserved was a draw.
Sadly West Ham's ambition extends to no more than existing in the Premier league.
I consider it a disgrace that we didn't play a full team - and why do you need to rest a goalkeeper?
Club should give free tickets for an away league game that they intend to try at for all 3000 of us who went to Sheffield.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Doc H Ball wrote:We were the width of a post away from winning it a few years ago.

What was the point in me and 3,000 or so others bothering to go then? Next season they can stick it.

I think it's a f***ing disgrace personally. Resting players for 14 days to prepare for Pompey means forfeiting the FA Cup?
Presumably you went because you wanted to watch the game which you did.

In 2006 I trekked up to Bolton to watch a league match. I imagine I spent as much and put in as much time for that trip as anyone did Sunday. We sent out a reserve side because we were focused on the cup. We were hammered 4-1 and barely put up a fight. Was that a disgrace? I didn't think so at the time and certainly less so when we were celebrating up at Villa Park or for the majority of the final.

These things happen if you follow a football club. Some games are lower priority than others. If you choose to attend the low priority games, accept them for what they are. There's no point throwing your toys out the pram just because the team didn't win.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

James P wrote: These things happen if you follow a football club. Some games are lower priority than others. If you choose to attend the low priority games, accept them for what they are.
James, as I'm sure you are aware if you enrol in the away ST scheme you automatically enrol in the cup scheme .The element of choice is removed .
James P

Post by James P »

If you explicitly choose to attend all games then you implicitly choose to attend low priority games.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote: James, as I'm sure you are aware if you enrol in the away ST scheme you automatically enrol in the cup scheme .The element of choice is removed .
Of course it isn't, you were not led to Sheffield blindfolded with your hands tied behind your back, you chose to go.

& before you say it, i assume you pay for a TV Licence every year too, but i hope you choose not to watch Eastenders every night.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Sam: 'we had a fantastic travelling support on Sunday and I'm sure they're disappointed'

Who writes this garbage?

Why not 'many, many thanks to those who made the trip. For a 3pm Sunday Cup game it was wonderful to see our support'
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

James P wrote:If you explicitly choose to attend all games then you implicitly choose to attend low priority games.
Low priority to who James ?

By virtue of the fact I had shelled out money it was a high priority to me, and by virtue of the fact the club entred the competition it was a high priority to them .

The club would be more than happy to take the TV cash had it been a home fixture ......

I'm staggered any football fan believes sending out a team other than a full strength side wherever possible is acceptable .

But there you go, all about opinions .
James P

Post by James P »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm staggered any football fan believes sending out a team other than a full strength side wherever possible is acceptable .
Of course you have to manage a squad effectively over an entire season and not treat every match as a single entity. Any football fan who doesn't get that lacks understanding of the demands or the modern game or has their head stuck in the 80s when the game was played at half speed in comparison to today.

TPP, when we played Pompey in the league barely 48hrs before the 2006 Cup Quarter Final at Man City, do you think we should have sent out a full strength team?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

James P wrote: These things happen if you follow a football club. Some games are lower priority than others. If you choose to attend the low priority games, accept them for what they are. There's no point throwing your toys out the pram just because the team didn't win.
Might have been low priority for you, but not for me. I value the 3rd round of the cup higher than an average league game.

I'm throwing my toys out of the pram because resting players for 14 days at best marginally improves things at Pompey, not 'just because the team didn't win'. I learned that one about 30 years ago ta very much. Apart from some glib 'the league's more important' quotes, I haven't heard any real rational explanation for 'resting' key players. Exactly what did it achieve?

This get up to the PL at all costs attitude is starting to get to me.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I don't buy into this 'modern game' business. In 1980 the Cup Final was our 58th match

Today players have to be quicker and generally much fitter all round. But they hardly drink, don't smoke and have strict diets. They play on pitches without divots and mud, they have water thrown on for them at a break in play, they have a lighter ball and can't be tackled from behind. They have 3 subs a game for crying out loud!!!!!!

Burnout, what burnout.
James P

Post by James P »

We weren't resting players necessarily for the Pompey game. The cup game was the fourth match in fourteen days. Fatigued players are more susceptible to injuries. The key players were shielded from potential injuries which could have kept them out of any number of games, not just affect their ability to perform next week.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Fact is if we went through and got a plump home draw in the next round everyone would want a ticket, there'd be no excuses of 'resting players and concentrating on the league' then.
James P

Post by James P »

Jon wrote:I don't buy into this 'modern game' business. In 1980 the Cup Final was our 58th match

Today players have to be quicker and generally much fitter all round. But they hardly drink, don't smoke and have strict diets. They play on pitches without divots and mud, they have water thrown on for them at a break in play, they have a lighter ball and can't be tackled from behind. They have 3 subs a game for crying out loud!!!!!!

Burnout, what burnout.
Put on a tape of the 1980 cup final. It's like watching in slow motion. Different game these days.
Jon

Post by Jon »

James -Since football began the 3rd round has been the 4th game in 14 days. It's what makes our game so great. Noone EVER used to treat the 3rd round with disdain. Now they all do it.

The muggy media were making out the passion etc in the Manc derby showed how alive the Cup is. Bollox. It was a derby match, a fight between the 2 best teams in the league who happen to be next to each other. The cup was a sideshow.

The FA Cup as we once knew it is dead. It died when the FA allowed Man U to pull out in favour of the WCC.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

James P wrote: Put on a tape of the 1980 cup final. It's like watching in slow motion. Different game these days.
Maybe because it was on a much bigger pitch than we were used to at UP, and it was a bloody hot day?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

And it died when fans and managers began to think like chairmen.
James P

Post by James P »

'64 '75 '80 wrote:Maybe because it was on a much bigger pitch than we were used to at UP, and it was a bloody hot day?
Ok, put on a tape of any game from the 80s. It's the same thing.
Jon

Post by Jon »

James, I agree the 80 Cup final is incredibly slow but these things are relative.

Players weren't as fit ,they were more fatigued and the ball was heavier. By November 75% of UP was mud. Relatively speaking the players then were tougher than the modern breed for whom tiredness is rarely an issue.

I would say many injuries these days are caused by players being almost too fit, too muscle bound. Every sinew is being stretched to the max. Now if only they worked on their passing a bit more... :crest: