FAC3: Sheffield Wednesday 1 West Ham Utd 0 (08/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Re: Sheffield Wednesday v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Turns to Stone »

w4hammer wrote:
..that, sir, is the art of management! I think you're overlooking one thing, a lot of these makeweights sam has brought in/kept have cost us a LOAD of money - like the earlier chap said- not many sides can boast Carew as a third choice striker - my mum would have a better scoring rate than that useless lump- we shouldn't be waiting until the end of the season to realise that he's picked up too many cheap and past it players- and if, if we manage to get up, we dont want to be buying in July--nows the time for G&S to TRULY put their hands in their pockets and strengthen where needed- and no, we're not leicester where they basically bought a new team in a month- we need three/four decent players in total - nibbling around with bids which we keep raising/holding has never worked in the past for us. Pick who we want; inform the other manager; bring the f***ing bacon home :crest:
Whilst I agree in principle W4, even if Carew was on £30k a week, that would still only be £1.5m over the season. Baldock cost us £2m, Long went to West Brom for £7m or something like that, Bristol City were quoting £4m for Maynard and Leicester CIty are about to pay £3m for a bloke who in his previous 2 seasons managed 8 goals!?

G and S are not TRULY going to put their hands in their pockets until the Premier League is definitely in our grasp...and even then, there will be an air of caution (as their should be). You don't buy your way out of that debt....you try and get into the league that will give you the most money and stay there. And the most sensible way to do that is through short-term, low-risk deals and sensible management.

Which, I think is what has happened so far this season.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Jack cork, Chris Burke and Adam rooney were significantly cheaper than Carew, Diop and bentley in the summer and would have had residual transfer value had we decided to move them on if we went up. Sam chose to bring in the players he brought in.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

G&S didn't put their hands in their pockets when we were in the Premier League and get in a decent manager, can't see them doing that now either.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Allardyce won't have been cheap. Whether or not you consider him 'decent' in obviously a matter of opinion.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Turns to Stone wrote:Allardyce won't have been cheap. Whether or not you consider him 'decent' in obviously a matter of opinion.
I'm on about last season when we were in the PL, they didn't or wouldn't pay off Grant £3.5M. Gold even said on twitter that they were expecting him to resign in January !!!

Plus Grant was the one that said to judge him after 15 games, should have got that written into his contract !!
Chazza

Post by Chazza »

I can't say I was particularly surprised by the performance as whatever players we have had in or out of the starting XI, we have generally played poorly this season. I would rather not but could understand if we played long ball and there was some structure to it - go direct nice and early to the target man and get people around him, winning the second ball. The simple fact is though we don't do that. It's all hopeful. It's generally hopeless. The amount of times our second touch was a tackle such was the inability of pretty much the whole team to control the ball, was a disgrace for what are supposedly a squad of professional footballers.

Young Potts personified this and our managers ethos. On his debut he was assured, calm in possession and looking to pick a pass constantly. He has now turned into a nervous wreck; adopting the strategy of his fellow team mates in the back line of passing it 5 yards quare a few times and then lumping it with little thought for direction as far away from our goal as possible. The woeful Joey O'Brien is the biggest culprit of that particular brand of 'football'.

There were a lot of players who simply did not take the opportunity handed to them. Lansbury, in his preferred central midfield role strolled about the pitch as if he felt he was too good to be there when in reality, he's anything but. It's sad to say but Sears simply does not have what it takes. Baldock showed exactly what Freddie should be doing: using his body cleverly, forever on the move and wanting the ball. Carew may as well have not bothered such was his anonmyity.

The best thing about Sunday in a strangely subdued atmosphere was when Montenegro came on and the resulting and random shouts of "BRIAN!" as well as one blokes attempt to get a "I'm forever blowing Brian" going. It's this kind of gallows humour that makes following our club special, not the winning at all costs mentality that seems to have come over a lot of people recently.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Chazza wrote:
Young Potts personified this and our managers ethos. On his debut he was assured, calm in possession and looking to pick a pass constantly. He has now turned into a nervous wreck; adopting the strategy of his fellow team mates in the back line of passing it 5 yards quare a few times and then lumping it with little thought for direction as far away from our goal as possible. The woeful Joey O'Brien is the biggest culprit of that particular brand of 'football'.
It was a bad day at the office for sure. I may be mis-reading this, but from my viewpoint you're kind of saying that it's Allardyce's fault that Potts had a poor game this weekend, but then fail to give any credit to Allardyce for any of the positives that have happened this season.

I mean it was Allardyce who gave Potts his debut. Under Allardyce we have seen some very soild, stoic defensive performances this season, and whilst that has tailed off of late to a certain extent, I would suggest that the fact we're missing 3 out of our 4 centre-backs and our left-back has had to deputise would be at least partially responsible for this.

The direct football is, at times a little fractious. But I sometimes feel that on this site we can fall into the trap of blaming managers for players errors, but then failing to credit them for any successes. After all, it's been noted that players such as Noble, Tomkins and Cole have rediscovered form that had appeared lost last season. Could this be any reflection on the manager perhaps?
The Moth

Post by The Moth »

Turns to Stone wrote:The direct football is, at times a little fractious.
How diplomatic of you :lol:
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

Hey, Moth! I've made my opinions perfectly clear on the subject.

I shan't be drawn into any outlandish statements of how **** things are now! If I recall, David James seemed to spend the entirety of 2004 - 5 launching the ball towards the heads of Jermain Defoe and David Connolly. It's nothing new at West Ham...we've just all become a little more reactive.

The times, they are a-changing!
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Chazza wrote:I can't say I was particularly surprised by the performance as whatever players we have had in or out of the starting XI, we have generally played poorly this season. I would rather not but could understand if we played long ball and there was some structure to it - go direct nice and early to the target man and get people around him, winning the second ball. The simple fact is though we don't do that. It's all hopeful. It's generally hopeless. The amount of times our second touch was a tackle such was the inability of pretty much the whole team to control the ball, was a disgrace for what are supposedly a squad of professional footballers.

There were a lot of players who simply did not take the opportunity handed to them. Lansbury, in his preferred central midfield role strolled about the pitch as if he felt he was too good to be there when in reality, he's anything but. It's sad to say but Sears simply does not have what it takes. Baldock showed exactly what Freddie should be doing: using his body cleverly, forever on the move and wanting the ball. Carew may as well have not bothered such was his anonmyity.
100% Spot on. We hardly won a second ball all game (again). Bolton used to win every second ball. All you have to do is be on the move and anticipate - hardly rocket science even to a footballer.

As regards to opportunities if you can't stand out away at a decent league one side when there is no real pressure, what are you going to be like at home in front of 30,000 people when the natives get restless because we are not 3-0 up after 20 minutes?
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

Turns to Stone wrote: I would suggest that the fact we're missing 3 out of our 4 centre-backs and our left-back has had to deputise would be at least partially responsible for this.
There was no reason why, if he'd chosen to, Allardyce could not have played Tomkins and Reid as centre-backs and McCartney as left-back. After all, they were all in the squad.
Turns to Stone

Post by Turns to Stone »

I'm not defending it, just explaining what happened.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

brownout wrote: I consider it a disgrace that we didn't play a full team - and why do you need to rest a goalkeeper?
Club should give free tickets for an away league game that they intend to try at for all 3000 of us who went to Sheffield.
You honestly thought Allardyce would play a full-strength side for this match?

Do you not think that some of the fringe players need playing time, in case they are required at a later date in the season?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Denbigh..I agree with your pricipal,but Noble and Tomkins,who would have made a difference,were not replaced by fringe players.
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

irving boleyn wrote:Denbigh..I agree with your pricipal,but Noble and Tomkins,who would have made a difference,were not replaced by fringe players.
They would have made a difference no doubts. However (and I don't really want to start another 'is the FAC important?' debate) if we'd have lost either of those to injuries we'd have been really in trouble for the rest of the season. In this inflated transfer market who could we possibly hope to get who could replace Tomkins and Noble?

IMO, we were playing a team from the league below us and our reserves should have been enough to see them off. We were a good penalty save away from achieving that. I understand the frustration of those travelling but are they any more entitled to their money back than those who went to Blackburn (1-7), Everton (0-6), Reading (0-6), Bolton (every ****ing game we've ever had at the Reebok!)?
Longneck'd Iron

Post by Longneck'd Iron »

Denbighammer wrote: Bolton (every f***ing game we've ever had at the Reebok!)?
We drew in the FA cup :lol: