Portsmouth 0 West Ham United 1 (14/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: Portsmouth vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Who had the tougher game on Saturday us or Southampton?

Southampton matched our result at Forest, we bettered their result at Pompey.

Who would you rather play on current form this week, Pompey or Forest?

We may well mess it up, but it's a fact i'd rather face Forest. We took maximum points off Pompey - Southampton won't.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Those that go week in and week out are more entitled to complain about the quality of football they pay for. It can be an expensive day out and takes up a fair bit of time.

The rest of us can have an opinion, but are less entitled than those that go.

I wonder how many of those that are saying promotion at all costs are those that are sat at home either listening to radio feeds or watching on Sky.

I am an occasional visitor to games mainly due to having little disposable income and a young family added to geographical location. I would be absolutely livid at having paid out to watch the volleyball, negative, bolton clone tactics being employed by a manager whose ego and self promotion is more important than entertaining.

If people choose not to spend their money to get a stiff neck and wait longer for flowing attacking football than it takes Kevin Nolan to make it back from the opposition penalty box, which is a considerable time, then good for you. We are treated as consumers, its about time we acted like them and stop spending on a crap product.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

boleyn77 wrote:
Calling him a coward is a bit strong....& i go everywhere, and i'm not scared to say i walked out of Fratton Park pleased we had another 3 points.

He came into our club after what i would describe as the worst league campaign i've ever seen (since mid 1970's).

He now has us in an excellent position for promotion.

I'm sure the Bolton fans enjoyed their 'holidays' when he got Bolton into Europe & would swap that for where they are now.

Clearly you can't stand the fella - it's pretty clear on this forum some fans will never be happy with anything the club do.
So what would you call his teams performances ?

Give me 5 games we played well in...

Saying that...you were happy with the performance on Saturday so you probably thought Reading was fun
MS in the West

Post by MS in the West »

Not sure if it has occurred to some on here that we might be overestimating the quality of players at West Ham. It's happened every season I can remember. We have a good team for this division - yes. But Norwich and Swansea look pretty handy in the Prem right now, and they were in this division last year. Sides like Cardiff ran them very close.

There might, in other words, be less of a gap between WHU and other sides in this division than some on this site assume. Certainly we ain't great in the striker department. If that's the case then the current pragmatic approach makes alot of sense.

It may be that when our strikers start to get some form (or effort) we'll be better. It may be that we'll sign a striker it'll make all the difference (look at the impact Demba Ba - predictably for WHU supporters, if not for anyone else - has had on Newcastle).

My guess is that we're a bit better than the other teams, and in the absence of goal scoring SA is making sure we win.

I'm quite happy if we get a string of low scoring one goal victories - it's that I suspect, or mediocrity for the forseeable future.
m-h

Post by m-h »

We had on the bench Faye, Lansbury, O'Neil, Baldock, Carew.

To have put Baldock on would have meant Mr. Allardyce changing out a midfielder from his 5 man midfield and going a true 4-4-2,
albeit one without much pace and true width. As we know, the manager, doesn't play the 442 formation at home or away. As such there was no way Baldock was going to get put on whilst leading 1-0.

Perhaps if we were'nt so reliant or one dimensional on having to have Cole, Carew or Piq up top on their own, selection for the subs bench might be easier.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

miami-hammer wrote:We had on the bench Faye, Lansbury, O'Neil, Baldock, Carew.

To have put Baldock on would have meant Mr. Allardyce changing out a midfielder from his 5 man midfield and going a true 4-4-2,
albeit one without much pace and true width. As we know, the manager, doesn't play the 442 formation at home or away. As such there was no way Baldock was going to get put on whilst leading 1-0.

Perhaps if we were'nt so reliant or one dimensional on having to have Cole, Carew or Piq up top on their own, selection for the subs bench might be easier.
Can someone tell me who else in this league had a bench like that on Saturday ?

Yet we still played the way we did....against ten men.

Thats not fancying your squad, its not saving players and its definately not making the most of what you have....its one word, Cowardly.

Great 3 points though :asleep:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

MS in the West wrote:Not sure if it has occurred to some on here that we might be overestimating the quality of players at West Ham. It's happened every season I can remember. We have a good team for this division - yes. But Norwich and Swansea look pretty handy in the Prem right now, and they were in this division last year. Sides like Cardiff ran them very close.

There might, in other words, be less of a gap between WHU and other sides in this division than some on this site assume. Certainly we ain't great in the striker department. If that's the case then the current pragmatic approach makes alot of sense.

It may be that when our strikers start to get some form (or effort) we'll be better. It may be that we'll sign a striker it'll make all the difference (look at the impact Demba Ba - predictably for WHU supporters, if not for anyone else - has had on Newcastle).

My guess is that we're a bit better than the other teams, and in the absence of goal scoring SA is making sure we win.

I'm quite happy if we get a string of low scoring one goal victories - it's that I suspect, or mediocrity for the forseeable future.
Baldock and Cole would get into every other team...IMHO
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'm picking up signals Romford ain't a happy chappy at the moment .

Anyone else sensing it ? :lol:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm picking up signals Romford ain't a happy chappy at the moment .

Anyone else sensing it ? :lol:
Its 3 points and if we don't go up were history...apparently.

**** the fans who want entertainment...

The BFS fan club have been promising me all sorts of things since his arrival YET all i have seen is a backward step...in fact more backwards steps than the French Army in 39-40

This ain't West Ham anymore.

Im off of here for while........
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

Romford wrote:
So what would you call his teams performances ?

Give me 5 games we played well in...

Saying that...you were happy with the performance on Saturday so you probably thought Reading was fun
1) Adequate

2) Boro (a) Hull (a) Forest (a) Watford (a) Blackpool (H)

3) Please read my post correctly before replying.I said i was happy to walk out of Fratton Park with 3 points.I didn't mention anything about performance.Reading away was the worst game of our season(but i would say the 2 players who got themselves sent off had a fair bit to do with that).

You have made your views on Sam A' very clear. Fair enough.

I stand by what i posted earlier; G&S employed him & told him to get us Promoted at the first attempt.
What style of football we play simply doesn't matter to them - the finances of modern day football dictate that we have to get back to the PL straight away.They saw Sam A as the man to do that so they employed him.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

I understand people not enjoying it the moment but I'm enjoying it more than I did under Curbishley (another manager who got results) and enjoying it more than I did under Pardew in the Championship especially in the first season.
indiehammer

Post by indiehammer »

Romford wrote: Give me 5 games we played well in...

boleyn77 wrote:2) Boro (a) Hull (a) Forest (a) Watford (a) Blackpool (H)
I'll add to that - Bristol City (H), Burnley (H) and i personally saw some nice football v Coventry (H)

All those games, aside from Burnley have come outside the period in which we had that nasty injury list.

I foresee a near empty treatment room and watchable football returning to this team.
Last edited by indiehammer on Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D C
Has liked: 1103 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by D C »

Anyone noticed what happens to the last 2 teams Sam left with a similar budget to us?

Bolton - Hire Sammy Lee who tries to get them playing football, fails. Go to Megson who reverts back to Sam's style. Then Coyle who tried to get them playing decent but doesnt have enough cash to spend on changing the anti-football brigade for better footballers.

Blackburn - Read Coyle at Bolton.

I dont go to enough games to complain about how we are playing as I honestly dont know how **** the tactics are at this juncture. But the more players he brings in to suit his style, the more it'll f*** any other manager who might want to try something differant after him.
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

[quote="Romford"]

This ain't West Ham anymore.

........[/quote

I thought that line might come out soon.

This ain't a dig at you Romford - but when was it last 'West Ham'

Entertaining,flowing football,a real pleasure to watch?

Patches of it 05/06 under A.Pardew? 97/98/99 under Redknapp?

IMO it was in the John Lyall era 80/81,81/82,82/83,83/84 & of course 85/86.
m-h

Post by m-h »

D C wrote:Anyone noticed what happens to the last 2 teams Sam left with a similar budget to us?

Bolton - Hire Sammy Lee who tries to get them playing football, fails. Go to Megson who reverts back to Sam's style. Then Coyle who tried to get them playing decent but doesnt have enough cash to spend on changing the anti-football brigade for better footballers.

Blackburn - Read Coyle at Bolton.

I dont go to enough games to complain about how we are playing as I honestly dont know how sh*t the tactics are at this juncture. But the more players he brings in to suit his style, the more it'll f*** any other manager who might want to try something differant after him.
Some of us have mentioned that. It doesn't bode well for the Academy and it doesn't bode well for the youngsters trying to break into the first team, get themselves on the bench and ultimately get valuable playing time.
WHU_Del
Location: In the words of William Morris: 'I come not from Heaven, but from Essex'.

Post by WHU_Del »

BFS will be on Late Kick Off on BBC1 tonight. According to BBC London News, he has hit back at fans who think his team are not playing exciting football...
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Romford was one of those who thought promotion was a certainty with the best squad in the Division.

I believe he is confusing Wage Bills with quality.

Surely the best squad should have a few clever quick players? And one or two who can get to the bye line and hit a pass that the forwards can meet facing the right way?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

irving boleyn wrote:Surely the best squad should have a few clever quick players? And one or two who can get to the bye line and hit a pass that the forwards can meet facing the right way?
What is the meaning of this jibber jabber?
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

What dontcha' understand?

"How CAN we have the best squad without the vital ingredients of quick,clever players,including those with ability to get to the bye line and give the forwards more scoring opportunities?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Sorry.

I was more making a jest that its been so long since I've seen such practices within our team, that I'd forgotten they still existed. :wink: