Portsmouth 0 West Ham United 1 (14/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammers_Irons

Re: Portsmouth vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Hammers_Irons »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Those that go week in and week out are more entitled to complain about the quality of football they pay for. It can be an expensive day out and takes up a fair bit of time.

The rest of us can have an opinion, but are less entitled than those that go.

I wonder how many of those that are saying promotion at all costs are those that are sat at home either listening to radio feeds or watching on Sky.

I am an occasional visitor to games mainly due to having little disposable income and a young family added to geographical location. I would be absolutely livid at having paid out to watch the volleyball, negative, bolton clone tactics being employed by a manager whose ego and self promotion is more important than entertaining.

If people choose not to spend their money to get a stiff neck and wait longer for flowing attacking football than it takes Kevin Nolan to make it back from the opposition penalty box, which is a considerable time, then good for you. We are treated as consumers, its about time we acted like them and stop spending on a crap product.
So you were enjoying the product we were served in last couple of years coupled with the results (humiliating defeats) and finishing bottom of the table??? Headbanger
Last edited by Hammers_Irons on Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Irving , I take your point but with regards to the type of player to whom you refer , how many genuine flyers are out there , and how many would be within our budget ?

I have developed a crazy theory based upon nothing but the contents of my belly button that fullbacks gradually getting quicker and quicker have nullified the impact of attacking wingers to a huge extent to the point they are relatively rare beasts these days .

There's nowt more exciting than a paceman bursting down the flank, hitting the byeline , crossing the ball on to the centre circle and having a big centre forward burying it in the bottom corner .............but which teams have that these days ?
issi

Post by issi »

miami-hammer wrote: Some of us have mentioned that. It doesn't bode well for the Academy and it doesn't bode well for the youngsters trying to break into the first team, get themselves on the bench and ultimately get valuable playing time.
Went to the FA youth cup game in the week, total contrast to what I saw at Pompey the weekend. Cant see any of them getting into the first team under BFS, they all try to play football and do it rather well. not a chance then.
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

Dan Potts
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Hammers Irons,

Yep pretty much.

My neck was less stiff
issi

Post by issi »

boleyn77 wrote:Dan Potts
He played, as did Hall. The style of football was worlds apart between the two games.
boleyn77

Post by boleyn77 »

bristolhammerfc wrote: We are treated as consumers, its about time we acted like them and stop spending on a crap product.
The current board do,to some extent, treat as consumers with their promotions to feel the Boleyn.

You state we should act like a consumer and stop spending on a crap product.

Jog on mate - i'm a West Ham FAN and have been for 40 years.Held a season tkt since my school days and SUPPORTED my team through all the up's & downs.If we were in the Conference i'd still go every week because West Ham is my club.

If you think we should stop going because you don't like the current situation we are in you have no understanding of how the hardcore of our support thinks.Our hardcore support is the envy of many clubs in this country.

Two things in life you don't change - Your family & the football club you grow up with - Both are for life.
I would expect your 'consumer views' from a New Breed tosser at Stamford Bridge.The place is crawling with them.

:crest: For life
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

boleyn77 wrote:Dan Potts
issi wrote: He played, as did Hall. The style of football was worlds apart between the two games.
Issi I went to that game last week as well but as nice as it is to watch , we need be honest and accept it's a completely different game when they step up to the first team .Mistakes are punnished ruthlessly at first team level by more experienced players .

In fairness to Sam he has blooded both Potts and Hall - I personally believe Hall would be worth a start rather than the two lots of 10 minutes he's had , but I don't think Sam has been too bad in handling the youngsters ( Mcnaughton excepted ) .

Pogba was outstanding for Manchester United last season at youth and reserve team level - I saw him two or three times , and he is struggling to break into their first team midfield this season : Giggs at 38 and Scholes at 37 (?) are seen as better options .
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

the pink palermo wrote:
Perhaps not , but for my money it's the No1 job in most sides .Usually it's the player who touches the ball most in a given side .It's what Paul Scholes does for Manchester United and Mark Noble does for us .This Saturday, if he is selected, I'll sount the number of times Noble recieves the ball .I bet it's around 120 times in the match .Nobody else in our side will be within 50 touches of him .

Well if he does touch the ball that much it would be great as last year he only touched it on average of 70 touches per game ( 26 games ) so that would be a big jump and even though i don't think the jump would be quite that much, we'd hope that because of the drop in league he would have more influence on the game and more touches. Interesting to note on the same sort of subject that a West Ham Academy product that we discarded has a higher pass completion % this Season than Xavi ( Leon Britton 93.8% in his 19 games ) at the moment, quite incredible really.

I take your point on the assist / sets up goals comments , bit there really isn't anything new in it is there ? In the old-ish days it was Rush and Fowler, Sutton and Shearer , Cottee and Macavennie.........whereas now it's Cole and ?

It's not new no Mate, nor is anything else though is it, total touches, how many passes he plays to his own shirt, shots on target, all been around since day dot, it's just that recently people have really started to look at them a bit more. Oh and just now they've got different sort of names that border on most people's perception of the American/English language, which does the Stats subject no favours at all.. :lol:

With Taylor not being available for most of the last 20 games - Saints IIRC he got injured at , our goals have dried up to a little over one per game .Armed with the knowledge you have identified , you might think the Manager would make a change to the teams shape in recognition of the loss of the "assistant" .

Well Pinks you can only play with the Cards your dealt with, Taylor being injured a lot and then Bentley doing his Knee was disastrous to how Allardyce wanted to play in my opinion, so he's shut up shop big time as even with them injuries, his goals for the season remain the same and that's what he's done. We will be a " better " side with Taylor in it, we would have been an even " better " side with Bentley in it too but one is out of the equation completely and the other seems to be injured more than he plays, unfortunately for the Supporters, the Team and Allardyce.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Bob, I reckon the absence of Parker has seen an uplift in the number of times Noble gets the ball .

Taylor ? I think he's a big absentee that is influencing how we are playing , Bentley ? I was never convinced of him or by him , and don't think he ripped up any trees during his loan spell at Brum . I could see what Sam may have been trying to do by getting him in though .
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bob and Pinky

Yes Talor has the most assists but were they from open play or his set pieces. So although we miss him he might not have been as "creative" as the assists might show. I haven't a scooby as Bob is the stats man....

:wink:
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Sheriff

Some may just see a shag as a shag and as long as I was "happy" the "who cares a fkcu about how she feels" crowd comes (excuse the pun) to the fore....

Many's the time when I even bothered to wonder whether it was as good for her as it was for me....sometimes she wasn't even there...

massif :lol:
Bobby Orangeboom

the pink palermo wrote:Bob, I reckon the absence of Parker has seen an uplift in the number of times Noble gets the ball .

Taylor ? I think he's a big absentee that is influencing how we are playing , Bentley ? I was never convinced of him or by him , and don't think he ripped up any trees during his loan spell at Brum . I could see what Sam may have been trying to do by getting him in though .
I agree RE Parker, he averaged 71.13 touches last year ( 82.6% completed passes last year, 89.8% this year ) and i reckon Noble ( 83.3% completed passes last year, don't know this year ) could be taking up half of those touches this year because of the way we play and the dropping down of a division, if he's over a touch a minute then i reckon that should be right considering all that.

& the Taylor >> Bentley thing, you can see what he was trying to do with those Players though can't you, both give us width, something we've massively missed without them and he hasn't been able to replace them because of the Transfer window number 1 and number 2 $$ i'd guess.

Someone said the other day that he'd worked out this league, & i agree.

His Plan A got screwed because of injuries, his Plan B has worked better than i'd guess he thought it would ( otherwise it would have been Plan A all along & we wouldn't have seen Taylor or Bentley come in in the first place ) and that may be the reason why we haven't signed anyone to replace Bentley and Taylor and i include Taylor in that because he's missed more games than he's played so he simply can't be seen as part of our successful Squad that currently sit joint top in my opinion.
Bobby Orangeboom

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:Bob and Pinky

Yes Talor has the most assists but were they from open play or his set pieces. So although we miss him he might not have been as "creative" as the assists might show. I haven't a scooby as Bob is the stats man....
Creative >> Creating >> Create

All the same in my book as they all have one objective, to make opportunities for goals to be scored so whether that's from a set piece or open play it is still " creating ".

:raver:
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

boleyn77 wrote: The current board do,to some extent, treat as consumers with their promotions to feel the Boleyn.

Jog on mate - i'm a West Ham FAN and have been for 40 years.Held a season tkt since my school days and SUPPORTED my team through all the up's & downs.If we were in the Conference i'd still go every week because West Ham is my club.

If you think we should stop going because you don't like the current situation we are in you have no understanding of how the hardcore of our support thinks.Our hardcore support is the envy of many clubs in this country.

Two things in life you don't change - Your family & the football club you grow up with - Both are for life.
I would expect your 'consumer views' from a New Breed tosser at Stamford Bridge.The place is crawling with them.

You need to interpret my post better. I have been stood in empty grounds and spent more money on west ham over the years than I can count. This was way before the Sky hyped consumer fan that is now in the majority and helped price me out of going. Loyalty is a two way thing. Years ago you could speak to the players and get your point of view across. Now they are all mercenaries whose only concern is how quick they can get back to playing Fifa 12 or picking up birds off Hollyoaks.

So please don't lecture me about loyalty. If you think the hardcore fans want promotion at the cost of this tripe, then you must have supported us with your hands over your ears. Ask those that are paying every week, if they appreciate getting their email telling us how great it was, loaded with ads to spend, when they have just paid out to watch paint dry.

The only things that get the owners attention is the bottom line. If you think they do what's best for the supporter then you are deluded. Do you think they were rewarding your loyalty when appointing Sam, doing it for you the loyal supporter?

They were looking at their bank balance and the Olympic Stadium. Supporters didn't come into the equation because they know that most will act like sheep and keep shelling out.

So next time you pay 50 quid for a ticket, remember why you are paying for it and ask yourself if they deserve it. One thing I can guarantee you won't get it back regardless of how crap the game is.

So jog on yourself mate and have a look at the real world where football clubs are just retail outlets with guaranteed customers. Have a look in the skip at the back of the Boleyn, you will find tradition and loyalty under a box from Taiwan that used to hold the new West Ham yo-yo now selling for a tenner
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Good point about the full back dominance over Wingers, Pinky, in a close marking scenario,but aren't wide players invariably left alone these days with the back four holding their line?

Just need somone a little faster and cleverer than Collison, Nolan and Faubert.
LeicesterHammer

Post by LeicesterHammer »

boleyn77 wrote: 2) Boro (a) Hull (a) Forest (a) Watford (a) Blackpool (H)
I thought Hull thoroughly outplayed us, apart from a good 15 minute spell in the 2nd half. Green was immense that game, I definitely wouldn't consider that one of our 'good games', apart from the result.
BrownFatwa
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by BrownFatwa »

boleyn77 wrote:The current board do,to some extent, treat as consumers with their promotions to feel the Boleyn.

Mate, we are probably the same age and profile and I've been a regular since 1968 but I'll tell you this - I would rather see us playing in the Conference that watch this version of football being served up at the moment. It 's no less any 'supporters' club whatever division we play in. I have only gone to 3 aways this season and missed some homes. I'm as passionate as any I reckon for this club, but at the moment I dont really care if i miss a game because it's generally so boring.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Bob

If we had someone with "creativity" we wouldn't miss Taylor so much, or if we had someone who could deliver a set piece better we wouldn't either.

So in terms of what Taylor brought to the team, he is "easier" to replace that a say Yossi. We still play the same percentage football, whereas when we win that free kick or corner, we can't deliver it with as much threat.

That's more why we miss Taylor than any of his forays down the wing and crosses on the run into the box.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:
Creative >> Creating >> Create

All the same in my book as they all have one objective, to make opportunities for goals to be scored so whether that's from a set piece or open play it is still " creating ".

:raver:
We were told assists from set-pieces don't count last year.