Portsmouth 0 West Ham United 1 (14/01/12)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: Portsmouth vs West Ham United: match thread

Post by Romford »

Really Bobby...

I should stop doing something that i have been doing for 30 years because the Pimps employ a pig headed coward who fancies himself far too much ?

Its lucky you are in Thailand mate 8-)
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Romford wrote:Noble is the only fella who has bought any creativity to the pitch this season...and lets not forget that the Coward dropped him and tried to get him away from the team. He obviously didn't want any of that nonsense.
Assists: (courtesy of LeonRivers)

7 Matthew Taylor
5 Julien Faubert
5 Carlton Cole
4 Frederic Piquionne
3 Jack Collison
3 George McCartney
2 Henri Lansbury
2 John Carew
2 Joey O'Brien
2 James Tomkins
2 Winston Reid
1 Herita Ilunga
1 Robert Green
1 Mark Noble
2 Unassisted Goal

Nobles hardly a creative player, even rob green is equal in assists! But i know what you mean, Noble is our best passer on the pitch by far.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Romford wrote:Really Bobby...

I should stop doing something that i have been doing for 30 years because the Pimps employ a pig headed coward who fancies himself far too much ?

Its lucky you are in Thailand mate 8-)
I know it's lucky i'm here Mate cos i really wouldn't enjoy paying to watch that tripe every week and i'm not sure if i would, honestly, and you know that would break my heart but i've done it before & i most definitely would do it again where watching us at the moment is concerned, it doesn't entertain me at all..

But i do see it for what it is i think, whether i like it or not.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Romford - or anyone else agreeing with your basic view that the football being served up is almost not worth the effort in travel and cost - can I ask you this:

Is it possible that Allardyce actually doesn't think very much at all of the playing staff at his disposal? So much so that he can't get out of his head those several occasion earlier on in the season when we conceded damaging late goals?

I've been wondering that from (a) listening to the commentary and (b) reading the accounts of the travelling fans who couldn't understand why he didn't gamble even slightly once Pompey had gone down to 10 men.

Perhaps he just doesn't trust his players enough to let them (try to) show a bit of flair?
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

prophet:marginal wrote:I've been wondering that from (a) listening to the commentary and (b) reading the accounts of the travelling fans who couldn't understand why he didn't gamble even slightly once Pompey had gone down to 10 men.

Perhaps he just doesn't trust his players enough to let them (try to) show a bit of flair?
I'm certain that's the situation, he's only just getting his team back after struggling through December, get them solid again, focus on what must happen, i.e. stop conceding, then sort out the goals hopeing the strikers in the meantine sort it out themselves, it shouldn't take long.

The team is currently doing exactly what is required of it, more power to their elbows.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

prophet:marginal wrote: Is it possible that Allardyce actually doesn't think very much at all of the playing staff at his disposal? So much so that he can't get out of his head those several occasion earlier on in the season when we conceded damaging late goals?

I've been wondering that from (a) listening to the commentary and (b) reading the accounts of the travelling fans who couldn't understand why he didn't gamble even slightly once Pompey had gone down to 10 men.

Proph - there is an element of that , I commented in my roundup of the game that Lansbury made a burst forward into their box to try a shot on around 88 minutes, leaving a gigantic space behind him through which Pompey promoptly tore upfield - you can bet your bottom dollar that gets shown to them all on a tape .I've referred to it several times, bit roll the tape when Cardiff scored , and seconds beforehand Nolan and Parker were jogging back sharing a joke .I was apoplectic at the time so God knows how Sam was - and they were the two "dependable" players .

It won't have escaped his attention that several clubs in the division are already on their second Manager of the season - Forest, Bristol City, Leicester, Hull, Pompey........

The other aspect is why he is being cautious in the context of the league position . At the start of Saturdays game 2 points separated the top 4 clubs : one error could be the difference between a trip to Wembley , or straight up .

So, as I said last night , I can understand why he is being cautious , without totally agreeing with him .In the last 16 games we've scored 20, conceded 14 and not been that attractive to watch .The run goes back to the Saints game - I think he saw the defeat there as a watershed moment .
Bobby Orangeboom

prophet:marginal wrote:Romford - or anyone else agreeing with your basic view that the football being served up is almost not worth the effort in travel and cost - can I ask you this:

Is it possible that Allardyce actually doesn't think very much at all of the playing staff at his disposal? So much so that he can't get out of his head those several occasion earlier on in the season when we conceded damaging late goals?

Great shout and i highly doubt it wouldn't be far from the truth, an element of it anyway. :thup:

& many would argue, rightly so.
llanelliiron

Post by llanelliiron »

We were lucky that they didnt have a decent freekick taker as we gave 2 freekicks away on the edge of the area late on
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Some interesting response, but isn't caution in itself a risk?

If (big if?) we had scored a second, because he'd chucked on Baldock who tested their tired back 4, their heads may have dropped.

Instead, it was a squeaky final five minutes....

Fairly blunt analysis, I accept, but, if the basic sense of caution arises out of a lack of trust in the goal-scoring abilities of our present squad, why haven't we been more active in the first fortnight of the window?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

llanelliiron wrote:We were lucky that they didnt have a decent freekick taker as we gave 2 freekicks away on the edge of the area late on

...or that the ref didnt give them a penalty for the hand ball..Really, these are the narrow margins that means we either gain three points or lose two, or , and time will tell how costly not pushing on and closing the GD with soton really will be at the end of the season.

We played boro off the park from the start and bullied a fantastic win out of them. SInce then we've been universally patchy/rubbish, with Brum being a perfect example of what we saw again saturday-- us 1 nil up, but no change of tactics, just continued cat0and-mouse cautious Sambrand football that leaves you open to the side getting back into it. And then of course he will blame the strikers for not putting away the chances.

ANyone who thinks we're heading the right direction as a club, other than the position in the league, is fooling themselves. We have Nolan as chief ringleader, fight-caller, ref-haranguer installed for another four years - ably assisted by Nobes, Tomka and just about anyone else who'd rather ball out the ref over some perceived slight than play the fukcing game- because presumably thats what sam drums into them,..
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

prophet:marginal wrote:Some interesting response, but isn't caution in itself a risk?
That's why some of us are saying what we are .Three points could turn to one in the blink of an eye , or if we go all the way back to Cardiff, 1 point to zero .

The primary complaint is there appears to be little attempt to get on the front foot away from home - it comes across as if he has decided to play a certain way regardless of what he sees in front of him .Had Pompey started two players short on Saturday many of us believe he would still have lined us up 4-5-1 .
Bobby Orangeboom

prophet:marginal wrote:Some interesting response, but isn't caution in itself a risk?

If (big if?) we had scored a second, because he'd chucked on Baldock who tested their tired back 4, their heads may have dropped.

Instead, it was a squeaky final five minutes....

Fairly blunt analysis, I accept, but, if the basic sense of caution arises out of a lack of trust in the goal-scoring abilities of our present squad, why haven't we been more active in the first fortnight of the window?
Firstly like i said to Libero earlier, if we get a goal up in a game and haven't conceded, we don't need to score any more if we do our job defensively, if we do that in every game, we win the league at a canter, blitz it.

But of course the game doesn't work like that and we don't always go ahead. No coincidence that our most popular winning scoreline this season is 1-0 though.

With regards to the first fortnight of the window, once we all accept that we're gonna play 4-5-1 away from home & 2 up front at home, we can then look at who he's gonna replace with the $$ he has to spend & to be honest, i can't see him bringing anyone that can dislodge either of the 2 main strikers who are gonna get the nod ( Baldock and Cole ), i can see a back up Striker coming in, but who realistically are we gonna get to replace our top goalscorer or Baldock ??

My guess would be no one to be honest, and i reckon Allardyce knows this if he's honest with himself.
Bobby Orangeboom

the pink palermo wrote:
The primary complaint is there appears to be little attempt to get on the front foot away from home - it comes across as if he has decided to play a certain way regardless of what he sees in front of him .
What an incredibly nonsensical complaint that is then when we've won 8 games away from home already this Season and if he has decided to play in a certain why regardless of anything, i'd say he was doing it pretty ok considering his one and only goal this Season is to get us promotion.
Arch Dandy
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Arch Dandy »

the pink palermo wrote:The primary complaint is there appears to be little attempt to get on the front foot away from home - it comes across as if he has decided to play a certain way regardless of what he sees in front of him .Had Pompey started two players short on Saturday many of us believe he would still have lined us up 4-5-1 .
I'd have thought you have liked that pp, you seem to have been an advocate of a settled formation and team in the past. Wouldn't it make life harder for the team if Allardyce chopped and changed personnel every game?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Bob - the results are the outcomes , the tactics the inputs .Few are arguing with the results , it's the method of achieving them .As I said last night - pragmatic, professional but dull .
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Romford wrote:
Its a miracle...

You posted at 2pm and then went straight to the game

You lie as well as you talk football :asleep:
It could be anything but a miracle. Alot of us do have the internet on our phones and I have posted on here many a time whilst being at games.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Arch Dandy wrote: I'd have thought you have liked that pp, you seem to have been an advocate of a settled formation and team in the past. Wouldn't it make life harder for the team if Allardyce chopped and changed personnel every game?
Arch - one of my complaints this season is I don't think we've defended well at all ( made the comment loads of times) .So we have the worst position of the lot in some respects - we're cautious and not that effective at it .

Look at the number of people nominating Green for HOTY so far as an indication of how often our last line of defence has been needed .

In fairness to Sam, I believe his first choice backline would be Macca, Faye, Tomkins and Demel , which I don't think we've seen at all, so he has been making a lot of changes, but not at the end of the pitch where it brings a positive outcome .
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

llanelliiron wrote:We were lucky that they didnt have a decent freekick taker as we gave 2 freekicks away on the edge of the area late on
w4hammer wrote: ...or that the ref didnt give them a penalty for the hand ball..Really, these are the narrow margins that means we either gain three points or lose two, or , and time will tell how costly not pushing on and closing the GD with soton really will be at the end of the season.
Both of these points back up how risky it is trying to hold onto a 1-0 with the team we have, we just don't have the players to be comfortable. We were all over Pompey until we scored, I genuinely felt it was a case of when would we score rather than if we were so much better. Then there definitely seemed to be a shift to defend the lead.

We did open them up a couple of times in the second half, Nolan getting nearer the corner flag than the goal springing to mind. But several times it was Cole pulling wide to cross with no one really attacking the ball, Baldock would have been looking to get on the end of those.

We did play keep ball at times second half, knocking the ball around but it felt more like running the clock down - as I said at the time it looked like we were 4-0 up with 2 minutes to play rather than 1-0 with 15 minutes to go.

Pompey were there to be killed off and we either lacked the killer instinct or were too afraid to push for it, and I don't mean all out attack just pushing on. In the last 5 minutes it might be sensible but not the whole second half.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

It's just the fact of who we're playing really isn't it, a game like hat beating Arsenal would be the DB's.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Surely after our results in December the last thing we need in January is to start off with a defeat at Pompey which immediately puts us under pressure in our home game next week.

I imagine Saturdays win has improved the confidence that was necessary.

People keep going on about the football Southampton, Norwich and Swansea play or played in this division. They have had the advantage of stability over a few seasons to give them the platform. We are six months in to a total rebuilding of a squad. The team we should compare our situation to are Leicester who are doing so well their fans are asking Robbie Savage to come out of retirement.

Football at any level is not helped by an inabilty to pass the ball to a teammate, to get into a good position on the field and constantly take the wrong option. We were making the same mistakes the last two seasons. The difference is getting a bit of mental strength to not throw it away game after game.

I thought we would win a dire game on Saturday - I was very confident and I believe the result was very important for several reasons.

We can now plan for next week with a different line up and style to go for a further confidence boosting win. A bad result at Pompey would have made the approach more cautious as it would be a case of being under more pressure.

I am not going to say the football is anything but effective at away games,but the experience has generally been better than the last two seasons (with very few exceptions).